A long time Ago in a Galaxy far, far away....(The Star Wars Thread)

SurrealBrain

I like Amitie.
I like Star Wars. You've probably all heard of it (and if you haven't, where were you since 1977?), and this is a general discussion thread. So I figure I make a thread for it.

Let me start with the movies. I love all the movies I've seen, both the Original Trilogy and the Prequels. From the minute that first Star Destroyed appeared on screen, we all knew we were going to love it.

With the Original Trilogy, I really can't figure out what to say that hasn't been said better by others. The story is ahead of its time and well-written, and the characters are loveable, especially R2-D2! The villains are also quite interesting, and they help to keep you interested in where the story goes.

This one is more divisive, but I don't mind the special editions. In my mind, they enhance things a little, though the CGI can be distracting at times. Not to mention the whole alteration to Han shooting (though the most plausible reason I've heard is so that the newer version could keep the older version's PG rating).

The prequels are more divisive. You either like them or you hate them. Personally, I enjoy them. They're definitely not as good as the original trilogy (especially Episode I, though that was an entertaining film), especially since the dialogue can be a bit weird, especially where the romantic scenes are concerned. Still, the special effects are good, the stories aren't bad, and the special effects hold up well. If you haven't seen the prequels, I suggest giving them a shot to see if you like them.

Of course, I can't go on without mentioning the Expanded Universe. From novels, to comics, to video games, made-for-TV films and even cartoons, it's quite vast. Sadly for its fans, most of it is non-canon as of April of 2014. Only the movies, Star Wars: The Clone Wars and the newer material (like Star Wars Rebels) are canon, though most of the old stuff is still in print under a new banner known as "Star Wars Legends."

I haven't experienced most of the Legends material, but what I did enjoy was the first Darth Bane novel. It's a darker story, though, so don't expect the kind of stuff from the movies. Need to read the other two books, though. I also played the Xbox 360 version of the first Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, and while it had its annoying moments, it was a good game, and it does an amazing job at bridging the Prequels and the Original Trilogy. Briefly played the sequel, but the Xbox 360 cord disappeared on me before I could complete it. I still need to find that thing.

As for the newer material, I'm enjoying the book Star Wars: A New Dawn, the first novel after the Legends decision. It leads into the Star Wars Rebels cartoon, but it still does a good job at telling a good story, and it's not a bad start to the new EU.

Sorry for that tangent, but if I make a thread, I feel I ought to start with my thoughts.

Any thoughts of your own you wish to share?

Episodes 4-6 are classics (more like a sci-fi action movie). A little dramatic but definitely not as much as Episode 3. Episode 1 didn't end that well, more like the way Episode 6 ended, perhaps that was the point though. Episode 2 was alright introducing Jango Fett and the Clone Army and all, yet it did connect to Episode 3. But wow Episode 3 was made really well connecting it to Episode 4. Definitely very interesting how they made the episodes in different time periods.

I read some of the expanded universe novels (Han and Leia's kids Jain and someone else and Lowie the Wookie...) and I'm not sure if that's how the new Star Wars will be or not but it would be neat to see it be done that way. Haven't played any of the Unleashed series or anything in the extended universe (just the handheld Lego games for the episodes with the GBA one being better by a mile because it wasn't glitchy).

Oh and I heard George Lucas just turned the Iliad into a space theme to get Star Wars and didn't expect it to be popular.

Soooo what did anyone here think of the force awakens? I really liked it : p All the callbacks to the original trilogy were tiring but other than that it was a good film.

I honestly don't see where the whole "it's been a few month and now we all gotta hate it" stuff come from, I really enjoyed the movie. I like the new characters and honestly
who didn't see Han Solo death coming, it was very obvious.
Overall I like the new location although I didn't even knew it was possible to make a planet worse than Tatooine, I like the new look and gear of the era, and I really love John Williams score.

Now as a massive Star Wars fan I will say that I was pretty mad when Disney removed the Extended Universe, yes I know they're bringing bits and pieces from it back into the canon, but really I want a lot of things back. Stuff I am glad to see make a return was Delta Squad, Darth Bane, Grand Admiral Thrawn, and even the blackwing virus from the death troopers book which is really messed up that I'm surprised they made that canon. I would like to see Revan be made into canon, especially since he was very close to being in an episode of Clone Wars before getting scrapped.

I could go on and on about the stuff nobody would understand.

I cant say Im as big of a fan as others are : p But I do really like the films. I dont know much outside the films or anything though, but Ive always really liked the movies, and the games too. Star Wars has some of the best games ever.

I also liked the new villain in the movie, Kylo Ren. I thought it was a nice change up for a Star Wars baddie. I mean it always young hero just discovering themselves v old sith guy whos more knowledgable than they are. So having that youth whos just finding out who they are as a bad guy was really neat : p

My all time favorite SW character is Luke Skywalker. I was hoping to get to see him in the new film, and Im glad he was built up so much. But Im hoping they do something awesome with him and dont just kill him off in the next film : p

I could go on and on about the stuff nobody would understand.
What's that?
photo_2171_thumb.jpg

im going to post this video again because it's such a PERFECT illustration of how garbage star wars tie-in media (generally) is

Back