Does anyone else get irritated by Ashley being considered 'emotionless'?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
Seriously, she's not the only character assumed to be such for said reasons, but she's a pretty good example of how a lot of people (especially those online) seem to think that 'stoic' and 'completely lacking in any kind of emotion' are the same thing.

Just... watch the intro to her stage in WarioWare Touched for a minute:

Yeah, anger is an emotion people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrasting_and_categorization_of_emotions

See 'Anger, rage' under negative emotions.

It's a bit petty, but the character would be best described as... kind of dark. Or perhaps stoic. Emotionless on the other hand would be like say, the Borg from Star Trek. Or the Cybermen from Doctor Who. Neither Ashley nor pretty much any other Wario/Mario universe character is genuinely emotionless. Heck, even the robots aren't, neither Chortlebot nor Mike (duh) or even the likes of Earthwake in Mario & Luigi Dream Team completely lack any kind of emotion.

So yeah, does anyone else find this sort of thing a tad irritating? Especially with characters from the Wario franchise?

People just don't know what they're talking about and they don't know Ashley very well.
Maybe "emotionless" is what they want the character to be. Although I don't understand the appeal in that.

I apologize for bumping an old thread, but I figured with the amount of members joining since 2014 (along with more then a few ashley fans) I figured I should reboot this old thread, & simply put,
I don't see ashley as emotionless.
Sure she may not show as much emotion like most characters do,
But that doesn't make her emotionless. is she stotic? yes, but emotionless?? no.
She is shown anger plenty of times, (Which BTW is an emotion.) is implied to had felt
Sadness when she saw the monkey family in the blog, (sadness is also an emotion.) Hell she even smiled in a couple of games. Seriously, she is not like mandy from the grim adventures of billy & mandy, who literally can't even smile
Because reality gets destroyed if she does. (Yes i'm serious.)

At the end of the day, she isn't emotionless, just aloof and reserved about them.
& that's all there is to it really.

Last edited:
Never saw her as emotionless. I'd say she's really keen to show anger, and almost nothing makes her happy. You can even see 2 times where she smiles, one obvious one is the ending of WarioWare Smooth Moves.

I'll be honest, I never heard anyone call her emotionless, but for the people who do say it - Yes, anger is one emotion she most definitely has and she mostly shows, but she can also display happiness like when she finally perfected that plant growth spell, she can also display sadness at times, she's even said to be shy.

Looks like she's also displaying embarrassment in the newer artwork she has from the badge arcade.

She just seems calculating to me... maybe a tad sadistic. All in all, she's not written to necessarily be a complex character... just humorous and endearing.

Ashley is one of those "seemingly emotionless" characters that really aren't.

I think a lot of people who think she is only considers the tuched version of her song, which is sung in a rather emotionless tone.

She's a "Kuudere", if you are willing to use some anime terminology- cold person who's still caring(or happy) under the shell, usually expressing this subtly. Kuuderes also more often act more emotional with anger and such, while happyness is subtle.

Besides her song, is there anything in the Japanese versions of the games that indicate she is really this lonely, cutesy sort of character that isn't text?

At the party in Game and Waro she's seen in the back alone, not dancing like everyone else, which could mean she doesn't want to hang out with anyone and wants to keep to herself.

I have never seen her act cutesy unless you wanna count that she likes getting her head rubbed.

Back