Does anyone miss when the internet was more text based?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
Or at least when it felt like video content wasn't the only thing rewarded by the algorithm?

Personally I feel that way, since it's seems like being charismatic is seen as more important than saying anything important now. If you're a writer and you don't do well behind a camera? Tough luck apparently, since writing has apparently become redundant compared to audio and video based content.

And it feels like the increase in production values everywhere has made it harder for those with limited funding to stand out anymore.

But what do you think? Is there a point here? Or do you feel like I'm overexaggerating?

Starting to show your age there CM30 hoho.

But yeah, the internet has become too centered around going viral, how to become rich, obnoxious "personalities", and sponsorships etc. that I keep up with relatively few content creators nowadays.

Last edited:
And it feels like the increase in production values everywhere has made it harder for those with limited funding to stand out anymore.
This is so true. I honestly hate it. Video games are all about big huge scenes but there is no substance to them. For a world that keeps on morally grandstanding that they don't want to judge people or things based on surface values or the cover we sure do, do a whole lot of that.

But you're not far off from the charisma over substance. I think the real problem is cancel culture has people so obsessed with being "likeable or ON brand" that they aren't just being themselves anymore

Starting to show your age there CM30 hoho.

But yeah, the internet has become too centered around going viral, how to become rich, obnoxious "personalities, and sponsorships etc. that I keep up with relatively few content creators nowadays.

Oh, don't get me started on the obsession with 'hustle' online. The idea that everything you ever do has to be a stepping stone to a future career, and should be marketed to all hell and back.

Feels like people don't have hobbies anymore. It's just work, work and more work.

This is so true. I honestly hate it. Video games are all about big huge scenes but there is no substance to them. For a world that keeps on morally grandstanding that they don't want to judge people or things based on surface values or the cover we sure do, do a whole lot of that.

But you're not far off from the charisma over substance. I think the real problem is cancel culture has people so obsessed with being "likeable or ON brand" that they aren't just being themselves anymore

Yeah, many modern games, TV shows and films have no substance anymore, simply because the budget means it has to appeal to just about everyone and be as safe as possible. Thankfully Nintendo is at least better about this, since stuff like Mario Odyssey, modern Zelda games, etc have at least some personality in them.

Interesting point about cancel culture, though I'm not sure that's the primary cause. I think it's because attention spans are like 20 seconds long now, and the only thing that seems to draw in randos is acting like a hyperactive 6 year old. Want people to watch your YouTube or Tiktok video? Screaming and acting obnoxious seems to bring in the big money and views, sadly.

I agree, old MrBeast was more chill with the intros back during the dictionary/dance til you're dead/counting days, for example. man, i gotta be honest, i miss when the internet was a bit more offensive, and people weren't so soft.

I agree, old MrBeast was more chill with the intros back during the dictionary/dance til you're dead/counting days, for example. man, i gotta be honest, i miss when the internet was a bit more offensive, and people weren't so soft.
Yeah on real the internet was once a nonstop funny place for us absurdists

The internet at least felt like a break from reality, where those of us who weren't super popular in real life could find communities and do well online.

Now it feels too much like real life in general.

Back