Has the Mario series...given up?

due to misinterpreting something he said.

well it's unlikely his veto ended there.

hell, later in the Sticker Star Iwata Asks, they sya this:

Iwata
I suppose that's true. (laughs) But it seems like a part of you enjoys putting something edgy out there and seeing how much you can get away with.

Tanabe No, there were times when Miyamoto-san has really gotten angry at me! (laughs) Like about treatment of Bowser.

But you can't tell me that he was responsible for the gameplay being as shitty as it was. He's not one to stoop that low.

He is, indirectly. The original incarnation of Sticker Star was a traditional RPG but Miyamoto shat on it, essentially asking the dev team to scrap the entire game.

Yes, bad decisions like every attack being a consummable and bosses being trial and error requiring a specific item are Intelligent System's fault. But if Miyamoto didn't dismiss as "a port of the GC version" (but endless Mario Party sequels are fine because????), Sticker Star wouldn't be the game it is.

Tanabe No, there were times when Miyamoto-san has really gotten angry at me! (laughs) Like about treatment of Bowser.

That explains why Bowser has no personality in Sticker Star. Better not make the big guy angry. Gotta keep it safe, right?

What I don't understand is how he stuck his nose into their business in the first place? Doesn't he normally leave teams like that alone? Doesn't he always keep it within EAD?

And why was NSMB2 okay to be greenlit? Did that even have a reason to be made at all?

And why was NSMB2 okay to be greenlit? Did that even have a reason to be made at all?

In the Iwata Asks, they talked about how they used the game as a centerpiece for a "Mario cram school" where they taught new hires and other divisions of Nintendo how to do mario platformers.

the true answer is the theme of nsmb 2, appropriately enough.

So those people couldn't have helped out on NSMBU instead because...??

(As in, make U even bigger, not make a separate game on 3DS that compromises the image of the whole series)

1: because making a separate game makes more money. i don't think they're cryingt themselves to sleep considering NSMB 2's 10 million sales.

2: they didn't need to make it "big". considering nsmb wii's huge success, they prolly figured a 2D mario as a lunch game was enough of a killer app.

In the Iwata Asks, they talked about how they used the game as a centerpiece for a "Mario cram school" where they taught new hires and other divisions of Nintendo how to do mario platformers.
Still doesn't explain how coins coins coins was the best they could come up with. What kind of "new employee training" is spraying them all over the map?

I'm sure I don't need to say it but I think we can all agree that after the reveal of Super Mario Odyssey the answer to this old thread is now "No, not anymore! Bwah-haha!" \(^o^)/

I'd say it's more like the 3D Mario team hasn't. But yeah, even though this one trailer is all we have to go off of, it's showing enough promise of a lot more to come.

Well, Odyssey is already more out there and unorthodox than 3D World, for example. If the same can be applied to the spin-offs remains to be seen. Perhaps after E3 we will know more.

Still doesn't explain how coins coins coins was the best they could come up with. What kind of "new employee training" is spraying them all over the map?

give a competitive hook to the game that didn't require creating a large number of new assets or drastically alter the mechanics

Back