What was your family like growing up?

Every single family reunion involves some old lady getting excited and saying that she hasn't seen me since i was tiny and i'm like "who are and how do you know me?"
Every time.

Mine is kinda sad anymore.

When I was young, I was very close to both of my brothers. I have a sister whos the oldest, an older brother and a younger brother. Our sister is quite a bit older than us, but my brothers and I are all close to the same age. We went to school together and everything. So we did everything together. We played video games together, watched tv together, played together and all that.

My older brother was way protective of me. He literally beat up my bullies and everything : p He wasnt always nice to me though : p He used to have a really mean nick name for me, and he picked on me when he was mad. But still, he loved me and looked out for me.
Hes always dealt with trouble his whole life. He is a very small person, actually. Hes not very tall or big, so as a child he would be picked on all the time. And the way he dealt with it was to learn how to fight, he eventually attacked those who were hitting and bullying him, and it worked. But sadly this lead him down a bad path, he got mixed up with the wrong crowd and broke laws and got into trouble. And now he spends his life in and out of jail.

My little brother was my best friend growing up : p We did everything together : p We walked to school and back home together, we would watch what he watched on tv, and we played games together. I really liked hanging out with him, I have a huge spot in my heart for my little brother. Its funny though, cuz hes the complete opposite of me : p Im more gentle and sensitive and shy, I like mellow and flowing music, I like video games with a good story and interesting characters. Hes rough around the edges, nothing bothers him, hes loud and says whatevers on his mind, he likes loud abrasive music, and all of his favorite video games involve guns and mechs and all that junk : p
Nowadays hes dealing with alot of life problems. Divorce and some other things. Were still in good relations or whatever and all but I dont see him very much anymore.

My sister has never liked me, I think some part of her hates me. we never really grew close, we dont really talk, shes often rude to me, she opposes anything I say or feel. We have never clicked at all, and I dont think we ever will.

My mother raised us on her own. Our dad left us when I was just a child. He had a drug and alcohol problem and had to leave anyway, but when he left he cut contact with us entirely and we never heard from him until our 20s. She was strong, she got her college degree while working full time raising four kids on her own. I really look up for her.
Shes always tried to look out for me and help me, though, in ways I dont believe were entirely beneficial. Shes always pushed for help with me because I am diagnosed with a form of autism. In some ways I think it was a good thing. I did learn how to talk with people and junk through therapy. But there are some things in my life I think were hindered by all of this, so I dont feel like it was all for the best. She tried to do what was right, though. So I dont hold anything against her : p

A large part of who I am today is directly affected by my brothers : p I had a strong relationship with them, and they really watched out for me and taught me junk. I love them both a ton, and I hope that things go better for them in time. If I were rich I would spend alot of my money helping them out, but alas : p

I suppose it would be a better idea to actually describe some family members so here we go

First one that comes to mind is my little sis, until she was in her teens she was unusually clingy to me, She still kinda is but she doesn't follow me to bed for me to make her go to her own room anymore.
Then there's my big brother, With him its sports sports sports. Sports this, sports that. Now he's a cool down to earth dude but he'll always slip sports into the conversation.
There's also the identical twins, one boy and one girl, about my age. They are also my siblings. Ever seen people like them in media? Ones mischeivious and the other one foils the male? Its like that but the female twin is the arrogant trouble maker instead. But they always had my back and that's pretty cool.
My father is pretty cool though he does have a very old fashoined worldliness to him. My little sister said she always wanted to be an indie developer but he dismissed it as stupid and video games have no relevancy, even though they are more than relevant nowadays but not to him.
Now how about my mother, She's the token over protective mother who encourages everything you do as long as its something harmless she recommended. Wanna be an MMA fighter, Hell no, But if you wanna be a baker or something she gets estatic, Sometimes we would get yelled at and she would freak out and tell my father to stop yelling at the kids
There's also my grandmother who was always the nicest lady you'll ever meet but it was somewhat difficult communicating since we spoke different languages.
There's my other grandmother but she was an abusive drug dealer who was a compulsive liar and ruined everything for my parents, She's that one relative who nobody likes because she's generally a horrible person
I also had to caretakers who while not biologically related i spent my late middle school days luving under them and they're the uncle and aunt i never had.
My aunt is a country bumpkin who used to be the type of person who you say you could go for a light snack and she encourages you to eat a whole cow or something. I know she meant well but i swear she just loomed for excuses to cook.
My uncle was very strict and worked me to the bone but still a generally exceptional guy who truly cared despite the appearance of him seeming like a slave owner or something.
I could go in depth on many others but those are my core family members to me so i'll just leave it at them.

My mom was a perfectionist who wanted me to be the best, she'd hit me and scream at me a lot if I didn't follow her strict rules... My dad was a bit absent due to work and I had no-one around me to talk to. Glad it's all over.

This is going well so far! I had a mother with bipolar and didn't love any of my family (besides my Dad of course,but they always got in fights),my dad isn't nearly as bad as my mother,but he can come off as rude sometimes,although he is pretty funny. And my step-mother is kind of quiet and doesn't seem to talk to me unless I screw something up. She's never shown real sympathy for me until 4 years ago. And never since then,I've felt it again. The rest of my family is a mixed bunch of my parents,and I'm stuck with extremely minor bipolar. And my family always makes fun of me too,a lot. And then they're like "Why don't you talk to us or spend time with us?" Which they should know exactly why....

I was pretty lucky to have good parents and good siblings. I have 4 sisters and 2 brothers. I got along with all of them pretty well, especially one of my sisters. We used to play Mario Party 5 and other games a lot. Had a really cool grandmother as well and still have a pretty cool grandfather as of now. Also have an awesome uncle I still see at times.
Now because most of us have grown up, I rarely see some of them now. It's not like we fell out, but I'm starting to feel distant from some of my siblings. I only ever see some of them at times like Christmas and such. I still see a few of my siblings every now and again though.
Last Christmas, my grandmother died from Alzheimer's. Only one grandparent left now. I hope he still lives for years to come.

Back