3 is the magic number?

Robin

Wario's ironical daughter!
Diamond City Insider
Is 3 the magic number for video game series? Most of the time, series that have 3 entries or more, the 3rd entry is the best or a huge improvement overall.

Let's see: Super Mario Bros 3, Metroid 3 (Super Metroid), Metroid Prime 3, Zelda: aLttP, Crash Bandicoot 3 and many more are considered the best of their series or one of the best...

I'm placing this here because the Wario Land series had 2 cases of it:

Super Mario Land 3 is the best in the Super Mario Land Series and Wario Land 3 is one of if not the best of the Wario Land series.

Coincidence? I think it's because developers have an idea that works, try to make a sequel, fail in doing a good one, then take both of those games and take the best out of them, or in some cases, they simply redo the whole idea and it works!

Let me know what you think...

One problem; Wario Land 3 isn't the third Wario Land game. Virtual Boy Wario Land exists.

But while I see your point, I can also name quite a few counter examples. Like say, Donkey Kong Country 2. Or Banjo-Tooie. Or Pokemon Gold and Silver. Or for another Rare example, Conker's Bad Fur Day (does anyone actually remember Conker's Pocket Tales?)

Last edited:
One problem; Wario Land 3 isn't the third Wario Land game. Virtual Boy Wario Land exists.

But while I see your point, I can also name quite a few counter examples. Like say, Donkey Kong Country 3. Or Banjo-Tooie. Or Pokemon Gold and Silver. Or for another Rare example, Conker's Bad Fur Day (does anyone actually remember Conker's Pocket Tales?)

True, that doesn't apply for every titles, Even though, DKC2 was the best of the series, Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire was better than Gold and Silver, not by popularity, but in quality. (I love Gold and Silver, but analysing both titles, Ruby and Sapphire is definitely an improvement). I can't argue for the other titles, sorry...

And yes, Virtual Boy Wario Land is a member of the series, but Wario Land 3 has the number, so...

To me it really depends on the developers and the production of said game. Since SMB3, ALTTP, and Super Metroid have been very staple games compared to their predecessors some games haven't been as fortunate. Something like EarthWorm Jim 3D turned out to be a horrible mess compared to EWJ1 and 2, the controls were clunky and it felt like a third party platformer whenever you would climb up a hill or something.

I can agree with most of these. Of all the Donkey Kong Country games I played, I can say that DKC 3 is the best. And so is SMB 3.
However, in the case of Wario Land, I disagree. WL 4 is the best one in my opinion.

I agree on Wario Land 4 being the best, it's just that Wario Land 3 was the best out of the "first 3 games". Super Mario World is almost better than SMB3, but I just prefer the latter.

Back