Anyone else worried about a Wario movie?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
With the rate everything else seems to be in the process of being adapted to live action films, something based on Wario Land or WarioWare only seems like a matter of time now. I mean, Sonic, Metal Gear, Tetris... now even bloody Mega Man is getting a live action movie based on his series.

At least the Five Nights at Freddy's one is using real animatronics to portray the killer animatronics, but damn. Does every game have to get a movie now? And a probably crap live action one at that?

Did the lessons from Super Mario Bros, Mortal Kombat, Doom, Alone in the Dark, Resident Evil, House of the Dead, Dead or Alive or Hitman not sink in yet?

Because damn it, if I see a Wario Land or WarioWare movie announced, I will flip. Not in the good way. Twice as much if it turns out to be live action.

Anyone agree?

don't forget the mighty no 9 movie.

which I'll gladly watch, alongside the Spy Hunter, Kane & Lynch, Wolfenstein, Dark Void, Wheelman, and Spore movies.

wouldn't it be cool if they got the people behind azumanga daioh to make a warioware movie.

Simply give it neat CGI similar to that of the Smash Bros. promotional videos and get Charels Martinet to voice ol' W, Then I'd watch it honestly. =P Besides: Wreck It Ralph was good, after all.

It would be better if Nintendo produced it themselves though.

Meh sounds like a Netflix and big city only thing. It would most certainly be entertaining if actually done right, like a documentary.

A CGI animated movie would look better at least, but it would have the same issues when it comes to crafting a decent plot.

Live action on the other hand... I still think it'd never work, simply because Wario's characters do not look 'normal' enough for it. I mean, look at all the failed attempts at cosplay for example. Almost every single one has been a complete disaster where Wario series characters are concerned (and where Mario characters in general are concerned to be honest). Why? Because they don't look like people in real life do, for the most part. Wario and Ashley are the obvious examples, because their looks are pretty much impossible to mimic convincingly, but even 9 Volt, Dr Crygor, Kat and Ana, etc would be difficult to portray well in such a series.

The thing about making a Wario Land movie is that to do it well, you'd have to capture the nature of Wario and his series. This means he'd have to be rude, selfish, and brutish, and you're still supposed to cheer for him. He doesn't act out of kindness, but rather just wants as much money as possible. In short, he's the exact opposite of how Nintendo tends to cultivate their image. And then there's the matter of story, which inevitably consists of "Journey through this place and grab everything of value. Punch everyone who stands in your way in the head. Probably face some big evil thing and/or Captain Syrup at the end.", which is serviceable for a game series based on collecting treasure and exploring levels, but in terms of a movie, it might be too little to work with. Best I could see is a half-hour animated special, with lots of slapstick humor.

As for WarioWare, there's at least a little more you can do with characters to make decent side plots, but it's also a series where the only story is "These weirdos make really simple, fast-paced video games of only a couple seconds long and bundle them together to make money quickly." It's also based largely on being really weird, so I still don't know what we'd do with that story. Again, the best I could see is maybe being a half-hour cartoon.

I could see a Warioware movie working well. It'd be Wario's rags to riches story and there could be a montage or something of him gathering all of his friends together to help make the games and when Wario's rich he just forgets all about them and takes the money for himself like the game, it could work.

Smaller animated cartoon shorts would definitely be the best idea. Something closer to the likes of Tom and Jerry cartoons in length, or maybe the ones from Dexter's Laboratory.

A CGI animated movie would look better at least, but it would have the same issues when it comes to crafting a decent plot.

Live action on the other hand... I still think it'd never work, simply because Wario's characters do not look 'normal' enough for it. I mean, look at all the failed attempts at cosplay for example. Almost every single one has been a complete disaster where Wario series characters are concerned (and where Mario characters in general are concerned to be honest). Why? Because they don't look like people in real life do, for the most part. Wario and Ashley are the obvious examples, because their looks are pretty much impossible to mimic convincingly, but even 9 Volt, Dr Crygor, Kat and Ana, etc would be difficult to portray well in such a series.
So in other words Anime Wario is best?

To be fair, both Wario Land and WarioWare treat Wario himself with more respect than Smash Bros, so a series based on Wario Land or Ware should reflect the original series.
Should. Yeah. But would they?
Smash also should have reflected the original series but you know how that turned out.

That is a fair point. Smash is supposed to faithfully represent Nintendo franchises and characters, and yet instead of a greedy brute, Wario fans got a character who eats people and farts explosions.

I still think we will most likely get a Mario CGI movie sometime... Wario hopefully as a supporting cast. Anything that shows faith to it's source material is still much better than the old SMB movie, IMO.

((And again, Charels Martinet or Bust. :U))

Back