Archie was going to create a Mario Comic series

Mario123311

Super Plumber Enthusiast
But it was rejected by Nintendo, Or more than likely (which wouldn't surprise me), Miyamoto.
tumblr_o8akj4RmO11u3mr7go4_1280.jpg

tumblr_o8akj4RmO11u3mr7go3_1280.jpg

Archie_Mario_comic_-_concept_page.jpg

Archie_Mario_comic_-_concept_artwork.jpg

Let all of this sink in for a moment... And then let's talk about what could have been and how bad Miyamoto's phobia of Story Telling is. :V

The dude needs to realize that dialogue is kinda an important part of what makes characters more interesting. There's only so many times you can have a mute plumber drop a mute turtle-dragon into a vat of lava to save a princess who then speaks one sentence to thank him before the whole routine gets stale. The RPGs were some of the most interesting because they had great writing without sacrificing gameplay quality.

I think there's way too much bashing of Miyamoto going on. I think his dislike of a story is only in regards to Mario series and specifically the games. Mario isn't the only game series he's ever worked on and there are other more story-centric Nintendo series.

It also probably wasn't his choice to shoot the idea down anyway.

That being said while I think the idea might've been interesting I generally dislike Archie's video game adaptations.

I always had this theory, which is a kind of heartless one - but when Miyamoto retires/passes is when the Mario games might finally get going somewhere.
I'm fine with a new direction of anything as long as it doesn't take the "Shadow the Hedgehog" route, Just please stop using "Peach is kidnapped, Rescue her" as the same plot. I never hated her character but she's already got a pretty bad reputation that defines "Damsel Scrappy" everywhere I go. :/

It'd be a nice to see a new premise though it takes more than just that to make something both new and enjoyable.

I would have liked it. I know Archie's adaptations weren't everyone's cup of tea, but they were mine. I still miss their Mega Man comics.

Ah well. Less money for Nintendo and Archie.

According to Ian Flynn, there are limitations, and Sega has done a shit ton of lot of rule making for them on the Sonic comics after 2006 hit.

Capcom was a bit more lenient, believe it or not, but they had their own guidelines. Capcom did say they couldn't do a direct adaptation of Challenger of the future...after an adaptation was already forshadowed in a time travel story. Of course, we'll never know how it would have turned out.

Heck, even Worlds Unite had limitations from both companies set. Yeah, I suppose you could say Ian's at least partially to blame, but keep in mind, he's tied by his editors, and Sega, and until the Mega Man comic ended, Capcom was on the list too.

Executive meddling did play a part, for good or ill. I'm not saying you should like them, only that Archie alone might not be entirely to blame (though in all fairness, they're not blameless either).

I was obsessed with the Archie Sonic series as a kid, and I've heard their Mega Man stuff is decent too, so I would love for them to take a shot at Mario (or any big Nintendo franchise, really).

It wouldn't break my heart if they did a poor job, either. Most Nintendo cartoons have been flawed at best (I still enjoy the Pokemon and Kirby anime to an extent), but they don't stop me from loving the source material.

Sega3.jpg

Specifically towards Archie, I think they gets carried away sometimes.
latest

Archie using outdated memes is part of what kills it for me.
I can see where Nintendo is coming from though. Not knowing when the comic was proposed, I wouldn't be surprised if the legal troubles surrounding Ken Penders was a cause for Nintendo deciding to not do business with them. The Penders ordeal is why Archie has gone the way it has in recent years and it showed that Archie could be a careless company in certain matters (I. E. Not proving contracts for hired artists and other workers to cover their asses legally).

I do like a few things they do, but I really dislike how they managed the Mega Man comic and most of the Sonic comics. I guess I prefer the source material for certain things.

latest

Archie using outdated memes is part of what kills it for me.
I can see where Nintendo is coming from though. Not knowing when the comic was proposed, I wouldn't be surprised if the legal troubles surrounding Ken Penders was a cause for Nintendo deciding to not do business with them. The Penders ordeal is why Archie has gone the way it has in recent years and it showed that Archie could be a careless company in certain matters (I. E. Not proving contracts for hired artists and other workers to cover their asses legally).

I do like a few things they do, but I really dislike how they managed the Mega Man comic and most of the Sonic comics. I guess I prefer the source material for certain things.
ouch that is almost as bad the "no me gusta" in the PPG reboot

Memes are even worse than pop culture references.
Pop culture references may be outdated after a while... but internet memes are outdated pretty much immediately. By the time the game comes out it'll already be an old, dead meme.

Back