Canceled Wario Fangame - Sprites and Animations

ShyGuyXXL

Shyster Guyster
Diamond City Insider
Hey, everyone! It's been a while.

So, this is an old project from 2016 that I was working on with Weario for a while. I wanted to keep it to myself at first, but I think it's been long enough that I should share it with you guys.
Weario was working on his Wario Land engine, and we wanted to make a game out of it. It was going to take place between Wario Land 2 and 3, basically tying the two games together. But at some point Weario got too busy to work on it anymore, so the project was put on ice.

So, let's start with some custom transformations:
Ghost Wario:
Ghost-wah-fly.gif

Ghost Wario can fly through any walls, only stopped when the screen stops scrolling.
He kills any enemies instantly, like Zombie Wario, but can't interact with most things.
Light turns him back to normal:
reformed5.gif

Next, here's "thin" Wario.
This works basically like Slim from Super Paper Mario.
Thin-wario2b.gif

Admittedly, it IS just a vertical version of flat Wario, so how much variety this would add remains to be seen, but maybe there could be some unique puzzles you could do with this, which you can't do with flat Wario.
Thin-wario-fall-short.gif

Turning:
turn.gif

Next up, Metal Wario:
Yeah, this is basically a reference to Super Mario 64 DS.
Maybe he would've turned into this after having a pot of molten iron dumped on his head (lol). Or by some kind of machine or magic or something.
Unlike SM64DS though, it wouldn't have been temporary.
Metal Wario 2.png

It lets you walk underwater, can interact with magnets, walk against strong winds, that sort of thing.
Magnetx2.gif

Lastly, I would've changed the way invisible Wario flashes on occasion:
invis.gif

I'll upload more in the replies, because of image limitations.

Last edited:
Now for some bosses.
This one was basically finished and only needed to be programmed in.
His name is Butterflop.
into-foreground.gif

Taunting:
taunting2.gif

Turning:
00_Turn.gif

Hopping:
01_Hop.gif

If you try to charge into him from the front:
02_Belly_Bounce.gif

If you try to ground pound his head:
head-smoosh.gif

To damage him, you have to knock him over from the back:
knocked-over2.gif

...and then ground pound him:
smashed.gif

(continued in the next post)

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 607
He tries to grab you with his tongue...
03_Tongue_Attack2.gif

and when he does...
04_Stomach_Struggle.gif

...he makes Wario dizzy, forcing you to exit the arena.
05_Spin.gif

When you beat him:
Defeated.gif

So yeah, that's pretty much all for him.
Liplick.gif

• Wow
Next up is this guy...
His name is Strike.
Strike.png

Any Wario fan should see a pattern here. :p
Strike-taunt&jump.gif

This boss didn't get all that far, but the original plan was something like this...
baseball.png

One idea was Mecha Bobo.
Mecha-bobo.gif

That's kind of it, just a concept.
Another idea was a caterpillar boss where you throw something at its body parts to make them vulnerable.
It also didn't go very far, and I was never really happy with the look of the creature.
Boss Caterpillar2.png

Next I'll show off some enemies.
First we have a giant Wanderin' Goom.
walk.gif
stunned2.gif

GWG WOAH.png

Unlike the giant Spearman, they die in one hit, whether you charge into them or ground pound them.
They're not minibosses or anything, they just show up and get in the way a lot, so you beat them up a lot.
Giant Wandering Goom + Helmet.png
Giant Wandering Goom shield.png

After a while, they will start wearing helmets and shields to protect themselves, since they're sick of getting bullied.
Of course, you can still beat them.
So then they use both. But their backsides are still vulnerable.
Giant Wandering Goom Helmet.png

So eventually...
Giant Wandering Goom Helmet&2shields.png

Then you'll have to get creative.

For the transformations enemies, I wanted to spice up the way they attack.
So this Dragon fella...
Dragonwalk.gif

...spits fire that travels along the floor, like the Genie's attack in WL1.
Dragon2.gif

He can also fly.
Dragon-flying.gif

This polar bear enemy's ice attack is only short ranged, unlike other ice enemies from the series.
Beart-B.gif

There was gonna be a poisonous spider enemy, which might've turned Wario into poisoned Wario. What that would've looked like? I dunno. We didn't get that far.
Poison-Spider.gif

There was this drill enemy...
Driller2.gif

This crocodile pirate...
Croc.gif

Chippy, from VB Wario Land...
chippy.gif

This balloon.... which... I'm not sure what it would've done...
Balloon-guy.gif

This thing...
Cannon-tank.gif

There was this blow fish, which was kinda just a rip-off of Kine from Kirby with the needle ability...
Blowfish.gif

There was bombs...
Bomb.gif

There was this thing...
Robo-Cow.gif

I also had polished up some older enemies, like Penkoon...
penkoon-dx.gif

And whatever this guy's name was...
8317.gif

There was an idea for a small version of this WL2 boss...
Lil-Mecha-Speaman.gif

This wasn't really gonna be in the game, but at one point I tried making old animations more smooth...
Smooth-walk.gif
Boink.gif

I also wanted to make an enemy that would make Wario roll...
Sucker-3.gif

This was gonna be an alternate way of turning Wario into thin Wario...
monkey.gif

This key guy...
key & door.png

...this was gonna be like they keys in Wario Land 1, but a bit more involved. There could be puzzles where you have to get the key guy safely to the door.
Turtle.gif

And this turtle that you can only get rid of from the top.
Bonus-bag.gif

I think this one was gonna be for inbetween levels...maybe? I don't quite remember. But basically the bigger the bag, the more coins you have.
The intro of the game was gonna look something like this:
Basically picking up right where the really final chapter of WL2 left off.
Intro3.gif

And at the very end, in the canonical ending, Wario flies off with a new plane...
Plane.png

Once again, there were gonna be different endings depending on how much money and treasures you've found throughout the game.
At the end of the game, Wario is somewhere high up in the sky and needs to escape.
So the tool he uses to escape changes based on your rank.
some-endings2.gif

The plane would've been the canonical ending, but much like WL1, there would've been an even higher rank where Wario gets a rocket ship and flies off into space.
Also, between the hot air balloon and the plane rank, there also would've been a jetpack one.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Lastly, I also did some work for the Final Boss.
The story was gonna be that a giant Wario robot appears at Wario's castle and smashes through his walls, steals all his treasures, and then takes off.
Wario just barely manages to grab on to its legs.
wabot.png

Throughout the game, you have no idea who is behind this...
But every now and then you fight the robot. Each time you destroy more of its body.
Until eventually, only the head remains, which is the final boss.
Wario Head x2.png

So, who was behind all this? Well, you find out at the very end...
Wario-HeadB.gif

Gasp! Who could've seen this coming!?!?!?
malfunction.gif

Wario-Head-2.gif

• Wow
So yeah, this is pretty much everything.
What do you guys think?
It's sort of bittersweet that this porject never went anywhere, but at the very least I got some pixel art practice out of it.

• Agree
Waah! Was there any playable builds of the game made?
Nothing with any of these art assets.
Weario was still working on the basics of the engine (of which he has uploaded some videos on youtube), so he never got around to work with my sprites much.

Oh wow these sprites look awesome! They definitely look like they'd fit another Wario Land game on Game Boy Colour, and feel like they capture the feel of said games really well.

Now I just wish said game wasn't cancelled. I would have loved to play this!

Oh wow these sprites look awesome! They definitely look like they'd fit another Wario Land game on Game Boy Colour, and feel like they capture the feel of said games really well.

Now I just wish said game wasn't cancelled. I would have loved to play this!
Thanks!
One day I definitely wanna make a game with this art style. It won't be a Wario game, since I wanna be able to sell it, but it'll have a similar energy.

Thanks a lot for sharing these! :D They look great. My highlights are Ghost Wario, Butterflop and the Wario robot. That final boss would've taken a lot of hits, though! :o

Thanks a lot for sharing these! :D They look great. My highlights are Ghost Wario, Butterflop and the Wario robot. That final boss would've taken a lot of hits, though! :eek:
Yeah, that boss would've either been split up into phases or spread across multiple stages.
If it was phases, you wouldn't have to beat the whole boss in one go, each phase would act as a checkpoint. So it repairs the small damage if you fail, but once an entire layer gets blown off, it'll stay off.

BIG BIG CHUNGUS
Next up, Metal Wario:
Yeah, this is basically a reference to Super Mario 64 DS.
Maybe he would've turned into this after having a pot of molten iron dumped on his head (lol). Or by some kind of machine or magic or something.
Unlike SM64DS though, it wouldn't have been temporary.
Metal Wario 2.png

This game should still happen why canceled ;-;
While it would definitely be fun to work on a game like this again, I doubt I will ever spend a lot of time on such a project again.
Starting work on such a big project for free just isn't feasible for me anymore.
If I'm gonna make a game, it's gonna be my own thing.
I'd rather make a game inspired by Wario Land than just a mere fangame. Not only can I sell it then, but it's also more interesting.

Back