ROM Hack: Wario Land 3: The Master Quest!

Me too! In order to qualify for the prize, you have to complete the game with fewer deaths than the updated number I will eventually post! Also, some notable changes in the upcoming update are that some treasures were re-located to increase the duration of the main campaign, with the... You know what, even though I don't like revealing big changes to my rom hack, I will tell you the treasure changes you can expect in the new release!

Old treasure ---> New Treasure
E3 Green: Powder ---> Gold Statue (Originally E6 Blue)
N6 Blue: Gong ---> Pickaxe (Originally S6 Blue)
S6 Blue: Pickaxe ---> Powder (Originally E3 Green)
E6 Blue: Gold Statue ---> Gong (Originally N6 Blue)
Basically, the "Extra" treasure quest starting after W4 A Town in Chaos' green treasure is now required to finish the game!
The new level order for the last treasures is: N6 Blue (Pickaxe) > E6 Blue (Gong) > S6 Blue (Powder) > N1 Blue (Music Box 5) > N0 Boss (Rudy)
S6 Above the Clouds' blue treasure is now the penultimate treasure before the last music box! (Due to the insane difficulty of the level!)

Last edited:
Just completed the game AGAIN, and got sent back to the title screen 373 times!
So, starting on December 5th, when release #002 comes out, the first member to complete the hack (All 100 treasures, 8 musical coins in all levels) with fewer than 373 restarts will recieve 20000 wario forums coins! He/She will also be permanently featured in the credits!

Edit: It's 169 now!

PS: Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

Last edited:
Release #002 is now out! Many changes to make the game even more difficult!

The biggest change is the order of the treasures near the end of the game! Also, the Castle of Illusions' green treasure has been changed to the gold figure, making the long optional treasure quest (where you would usually start after beating Rudy the first time, towards 100% completion) now required to finish the game! There are many changes and improvements to levels that I won't list (there are too many) here, so start your game over, and go for that position in the credits!

The first member who completes this hack (All 100 treasures and 8 musical coins in all levels, with proof) with fewer than 169 restarts, then you will earn 20000 Wario forum coins!

This hack will show just how far Wario will go for treasure! (He will do anything these days)
Enjoy!

Last edited:
There are WAAAAAAAAY too many changes to list! ;) Once it gets more popular, then I will resume development! I hope you try it out! Remember: If you get all 100 treasures and 8 musical coins in all levels with fewer than 169 restarts, then you will earn 20000 Wario forum coins! Regardless of whether you get fewer restarts or not, you will be added to the credits at the end of the game!

Last edited:
There are WAAAAAAAAY too many changes to list! ;) Once it gets more popular, then I will resume development! I hope you try it out! Remember: If you get all 100 treasures and 8 musical coins in all levels with fewer than 373 restarts, then you will earn 10000 Wario forum coins! Regardless of whether you get fewer restarts or not, you will be added to the credits at the end of the game!

Sounds great, I'll try it this month soon as I have time.

Mind if I post my finds in the hack in this topic?

I'd love to see not only this complete, but more Wario hacks such as Wario Land 1, Wario Land 2 and even Wario Land: Shake It(they've hacked Radiant Dawn, so Shake it would be possible).

You should make a YouTube video! And feel free to post whatever! :D Just remember: It's really hard!

Last edited:
Started it.
Those instant death tiles are insane, they literally send you to the main menu, meaning you have to load the game again.
This is gonna be difficult especially as I'm not too familiar with VBA-M and how to configure it right now.

Attachments

• Wario Land 3 Master02.png
    Wario Land 3 Master02.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 530
Remember to use the suspend feature by pausing and selecting 'SAVE'! If you hit a skull tile, you will then start back at the point where you saved! Doing that often is the ONLY way you can win!

Remember to use the suspend feature by pausing and selecting 'SAVE'! If you hit a skull tile, you will then start back at the point where you saved! Doing that often is the ONLY way you can win!

Any advice for using VBA-M. I want to set save state hotkeys and make it so it doesn't always say "Wrote battery" across the screen every couple seconds.

To assign hotkeys, go to Tools, and select Customize and find FileSaveGameXX and type a new hotkey in the input box and click Assign! To disable status messages, go to Options, and under Video, click Disable Status Messages!

I am going to continue development on The Master Quest now! Yay!

I was wondering...

Which graphic should I use for uncollected treasures?

This one?
full

Or this one?
full

Please let me know what you want to see for uncollected treasures in a future release!

Also, the prize has been increased to 20000 coins!
The contest has been canceled on Wario Forums!

Last edited:
To assign hotkeys, go to Tools, and select Customize and find FileSaveGameXX and type a new hotkey in the input box and click Assign! To disable status messages, go to Options, and under Video, click Disable Status Messages!

Seems in the mac version of Visual boy advance M, it was in options, key shortcuts, thanks though. Your disable status message worked for the mac version.

I am going to continue development on The Master Quest now! Yay!

I was wondering...

Which graphic should I use for uncollected treasures?

This one?
full

Or this one?
full

Please let me know what you want to see for uncollected treasures in a future release!

Also, the prize has been increased to 20000 coins!

? mark is pretty funny, though both could work.

I'm still trying to find that darn grey chest key in that first level.

Good job!

How do these look?
full
full

I have already made some more changes to levels and after I complete the game, I will release the new version!
Before I release a new version of the hack, I must complete it 100% to make sure it can be completed!
Release #003 may come as early as July 1st!

After 6 months of suspended development, Release #003 of Wario Land 3: The Master Quest is FINALLY out, and is HARDER THAN EVER!

Don't forget to apply the patch to an unmodified ROM!

I am not sure how many people have played or completed this hack, because I cannot find anyone posting YouTube videos or even discussing anything about it, but, please, if you can, tell everyone about it! What is the best way for me to promote a hack without asking anyone to actually play it?

So anyway, have fun! I will continue to work on this hack from time to time (I already have plans for some areas!), so check back often!

If you need any hints or tips on certain levels, let me know!
But just remember: If there is a potential solution that you don't think will work, then it probably is the solution!

Remember to post proof of completion (100 treasures and 8 musical coins in all levels) and (This is optional) how many times you were sent back to the title screen (Soft resetting should be considered a restart), so I can add you to the hall of fame at the end of the credits!

If you are the first member to complete the game with less than 169 restarts, then you will be permanently be added to the credits and will receive 20000 wario forums coins!
The contest has been canceled on Wario Forums!

Also, you can also ask how you want your name to appear in the credits! The colors are:
(48, 200, 248) light blue
(48, 200, 0) green
(248, 248, 0) yellow
(248, 48, 0) red
(No format) white
Post your name using the color codes above to show how your name should look in-game! The name should be no longer than 13 characters!

Tell me what you think, and don't forget to share!

By the way, here is a rundown on how a release is processed:

Phase 1: EDITING: Make various or many changes in the level design, enemy sets, object placement, tile sets and tile behavior, etc.
Phase 2A: TESTING: Play the game all the way through whilst getting all 100 treasures and 8 musical coins in all levels (This is done on a Nintendo 3DS)
Phase 2B: DEBUGGING: Fix any mistakes or improve aspects of a level as progress is made in the game
Phase 3: IMPROVING: Various changes added to the game and testing on a PC emulator without interrupting the initial TESTING phase playthrough
Phase 4: FINISHING: After completion of game, add a few minor changes, create an IPS patch, and add it to a ZIP file
Phase 5: RELEASING: Post the zip folder containing the updated IPS patch on the first post of this topic and the resource section of Wario Forums, and post the new IPS patch on romhacking.net (Wario Forums gets instant access to the latest release because romhacking.net has to approve the submission, which takes at least a day)

Also, any releases solely to add names to the in-game hall of fame will be Wario Forums exclusive releases!

Wario Land 3: The Master Quest now has a Discord Server! We are also accepting Administrator and Moderator positions!
The link: Join the Wario Land 3: The Master Quest! Discord Server!

Last edited:
I started a video playthrough of Wario Land 3 Master Quest! It will be a no commentary let's play with me getting all 100 treasures and 8 musical coins in all levels!

List of episodes and schedule (The dates listed apply to YouTube users; but for all of you here, you get an episode a day early!;)) :
Part 0: MASTER QUEST! (July 23)
Part 1: GOLFING GALORE! (July 23)
Part 2: THE TREETOP STRUGGLE! (July 24)
Part 3: THE SOCCER GAME OF THE CENTURY! (July 25/24)
Part 4: THE CANYON OF DEATH! (July 26/25)
Part 5: AN HOUR OF AGONY! (July 27/26)
Part 6: THE TIDES TURN ON WARIO! (July 28/27)
Part 7: FIRE & ICE! (July 29/28)
Part 8: DAYBREAK AT LAST! (July 30/29)
Part 9: WRONG SIDE OF THE WOODS! (July 31/30)
Part 10: THE RAGING INFERNO! (August 1/July 31)
Part 11: NO MORE CURRENT TRAPS! (August 2/1)
Part 12: SKY HIGH! (August 3/2)
Part 12.5 BONUS! TIME FOR GOLF! (August 2 for Wario Forums only)
Part 13: FILTHY STINKIN' RICH! (August 4/3)
Part 14: REVENGE ON 'DA BIRDS!!!! (August 5/4)
Part 15: TO THE MOON! (August 6/5)
Part 16: DOLL BOY'S REVENGE AND THEN, RUDY! (August 7/6)
Part 16.5 BONUS! GOTCH'YA! HERE'S THE REAL ENDING!! (August 6 for Wario Forums only)

The whole playthrough has been recorded! This was done in the span of less than 2 days, so what you are seeing are two sittings with VERY LITTLE FOOTAGE cut! ohgodimsad: Parts 0-5 were recorded on July 23rd, and Parts 6-16 were recorded July 24th! I hope all of you enjoy watching/playing it as much as I enjoyed recording/hacking it! There will be 1 video a day, so stay tuned! As an added bonus, Wario Forums users have access to an exclusive playlist that will contain 2 extra videos, as well as the next episode before it becomes publically available!

Edit: All YouTube videos were deleted... I may re-upload them if I can find a place safe from the FTC, or until this thing blows over!

Last edited:
Message removed

That was really dumb of me. Forget that this post exists!

Last edited:
Back