Did anyone else not realise how 'deep' the item system is in Wario Land 4?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader

I mean, I always knew certain items did more and less damage to certain bosses, but I didn't know until now that:

1. The amount of damage done is significantly different, not just slightly different
2. Normal items also have bosses they're good/bad against (like Cractus being weaker to most of them, and Catbat basically being immune to the Blast Cannon)
3. Bosses actually have items they're strong against too, like a game of rock paper scissors (or a Mega Man boss weapon setup)

Too bad the shopping system is so godforsakenly awful that literally the only people who bothered to find this out were play testers, MarioWiki staff members, and the kind of twisted sisters who actually play the minigames more than once. Like, the last time I saw a monetary gain system this poor was Lego Universe.
Like, it's easier to gain coins in Wallace & Gromit: Project Zoo, h'yuh know wha'm sayin'.

Yeah I knew about this months after I came back into WL4 after last playing it for years or just researched it a long while ago, that certain items do certain damage and the biggest weakness based on boss yadda yadda. By default, new players assume that it'll deal more damage the more expensive something is... which is partially true, but what about the 4 items that are ESSENTIALLY the same price, but deal different damage? Yeah that will require the new players to research that themselves. The only item I know by heart based on this research is that the Aerodant's biggest weakness is the big lips. Idk WHY that is, but everything else I can't seem to remember by heart and I would have to go back and search it.

According to the wiki, it makes perfect sense why Catbat's weakness is the dog, and MAYBE Cuckoo's weakness is the big fist, considering it is a machine that could be broken by human hands, but Cractus' weakness is the dragon??? Well I guess because flowers can burn easily.... but other than that, WHY? As for the Golden Diva, makes sense why the dog is the weakness cause I guess she likes cats, considering she sucks up the cats, but hates the dog, causing it to have the most damage??? Just a guess. Now I have no idea why the Bugle would be the Spoiled Rotten's weakness. I have no clue as to why this is. There isn't much detail to that... thing... that I could form a hypothesis about.

But regardless, yeah those are my thoughts about the Item Shop and why each boss' weakness are as follows.

Yeah I knew about this months after I came back into WL4 after last playing it for years or just researched it a long while ago, that certain items do certain damage and the biggest weakness based on boss yadda yadda. By default, new players assume that it'll deal more damage the more expensive something is... which is partially true, but what about the 4 items that are ESSENTIALLY the same price, but deal different damage? Yeah that will require the new players to research that themselves. The only item I know by heart based on this research is that the Aerodant's biggest weakness is the big lips. Idk WHY that is, but everything else I can't seem to remember by heart and I would have to go back and search it.

According to the wiki, it makes perfect sense why Catbat's weakness is the dog, and MAYBE Cuckoo's weakness is the big fist, considering it is a machine that could be broken by human hands, but Cractus' weakness is the dragon??? Well I guess because flowers can burn easily.... but other than that, WHY? As for the Golden Diva, makes sense why the dog is the weakness cause I guess she likes cats, considering she sucks up the cats, but hates the dog, causing it to have the most damage??? Just a guess. Now I have no idea why the Bugle would be the Spoiled Rotten's weakness. I have no clue as to why this is. There isn't much detail to that... thing... that I could form a hypothesis about.

But regardless, yeah those are my thoughts about the Item Shop and why each boss' weakness are as follows.

I don't think there's a specific pattern behind it. The devs probably just created some inconsistencies and didn't go for a deeper meaning behind them.
They probably just left it to the player to figure out what weapon is the most effective for each boss.

According to the wiki, it makes perfect sense why ... but Cractus' weakness is the dragon??? Well I guess because flowers can burn easily.... but other than that, WHY?
That's exactly why, fire is strong against plants, that's all there is to it.
Also, I love how Aerodent's weakness is the kiss, as if the ghost rat is alergic to affection despite the fact that he uses a giant teddy bear to fight Wario.

Also, I love how Aerodent's weakness is the kiss, as if the ghost rat is alergic to affection despite the fact that he uses a giant teddy bear to fight Wario.
Or maybe something about "giving love to your favorite toys" and "when you would probably kiss them." for the teddy bear

Or maybe something about "giving love to your favorite toys" and "when you would probably kiss them." for the teddy bear

He's obviously afraid of contracting STD's by the black thing's blowjobs.

The only item I know by heart based on this research is that the Aerodant's biggest weakness is the big lips. Idk WHY that is, but everything else I can't seem to remember by heart and I would have to go back and search it.

That one is a bit more culture specific.
In Japanese language, the lip kiss and mouse squeeke make the same sound.

but Cractus' weakness is the dragon??? Well I guess because flowers can burn easily.... but other than that, WHY?

But here, I seriously don't get how this is confusing.
THE DRAGON IS LITERALLY BURNING THE PLANT!!!
It's not like you pick an item, and randomly see the result, you CLEARLY SEE WHAT IS HAPPENING.
Have you also questioned why Fire is strong against Grass in Pokemon?
You are literally the first person I've seen get confused by this, and I seriously don't get it
Why did you get confused by it?

As for the other bosses, it makes perfect sense for a MECHANICAL CLOCK to be weak to strong physical damage. Just like hitting a clock with a hammer. Remember that scene from Alice In Wonderland.

And Dog being strong against CAT-Bat? That one is the most obvious ever.

It's not like you pick an item, and randomly see the result, you CLEARLY SEE WHAT IS HAPPENING.
You are literally the first person I've seen get confused by this, and I seriously don't get it

As for the other bosses, it makes perfect sense for a MECHANICAL CLOCK to be weak to strong physical damage. Just like hitting a clock with a hammer. Remember that scene from Alice In Wonderland.

Welp... looks like somebody obviously read my entire post.

Well I guess because flowers can burn easily
considering it is a machine that could be broken by human hands
According to the wiki, it makes perfect sense why Catbat's weakness is the dog

It's just, the way you described things, it sounds like, "yeah, it kind of makes sense, but still, why? It's not that obvious".
Sorry. Just not the best when it comes to describing things. It didn't have to be this aggressive. I was just making a possible observation and theory to get some sort of conversation at all. That was all.

Huh, didn't know about the kiss and squeak thing in Japanese. Guess that's why they chose the Big Lips in general, compared to any number of other forms/items that could have taken up its slot.

Back