Did WarioWare "kill" Wario Land?

BooDestroyer

Treasure Collector Extraordinaire
(Note that "kill" is in quotations, thanks)

There's been some debate about this (or has there?). Seeing that as soon as the R&D1 team (then SPD, and now part of EPD) started on the original WarioWare, all their focus has shifted from Wario Land to Ware, and they haven't made another Wario platformer since and have been sticking with WarioWare for good.

Sure, we got Shake It later on, and other platformers along the way, but they were all made by other random third-party teams. Even after Shake It, how likely will another one be anyway?

i'll recycle a post I made on another message board about why Nintendo doesn't do 2D Metroids anymore because it applies just as well for WL:

Wario Land was made by Nintendo R&D1, the largest nintendo team after EAD. In 2004, Iwata dissolved the R&D departments and created SPD so that Miyamoto wouldn't have to supervise third-party productions. Unlike the other R&D # teams, the game-making part of R&D 1 survived when it was reorganised as SPD 1, but the restructure reduced the number of programmers/etc, and some of the people who had experience making R&D 1's action-adventure games were shifted elsewhere or had recently retired (most notably, Hiroji Kiyotake).

The department did try to make an "action-adventure" game in the form Metroid Dread, but it ended in development hell and was cancelled before it was formally announced. It's why they outsourced Other M to Team Ninja.

i'll recycle a post I made on another message board about why Nintendo doesn't do 2D Metroids anymore because it applies just as well for WL:

Wario Land was made by Nintendo R&D1, the largest nintendo team after EAD. In 2004, Iwata dissolved the R&D departments and created SPD so that Miyamoto wouldn't have to supervise third-party productions. Unlike the other R&D # teams, the game-making part of R&D 1 survived when it was reorganised as SPD 1, but the restructure reduced the number of programmers/etc, and some of the people who had experience making R&D 1's action-adventure games were shifted elsewhere or had recently retired (most notably, Hiroji Kiyotake).

The department did try to make an "action-adventure" game in the form Metroid Dread, but it ended in development hell and was cancelled before it was formally announced. It's why they outsourced Other M to Team Ninja.
Kinda wish more people knew this.

Maybe it did kill Wario Land, in my opinion at least. Wario Land is probably a hard game to make, and Nintendo doesn't want to spend too much on it since it doesn't do all that while compared to other games. Warioware seems to be the easier game to make, probably Nintendo thinks if Wario should need a game it will be Warioware. Easy to make and has lovable characters

I don't agree with Wario Land being hard to make. At least, no more than most other polished platformers. Definitely agree about the characterS though, I can't get enough of Dr. Crygor and his bathroom antics.

Well, in that Anime style I guess it was the only one hard to make. I'm pretty sure it's harder to make than Warioware, Warioware is just mostly micro-games, Wario land needs characters, levels, cutsenses probably and loads more. So, maybe Nintendo doesn't want to go the extra mile and just release a new Warioware. I'm no coder or game designer, but Warioware looks easier to make.

Maybe if Nintendo has confidence they will make a new Wario Land someday.

I don't get what you are saying, Magma. Are you saying Warioware is harder to make than Wario Land? Because you may be right, it would be very very hard to catch Ashley at full awesomeness, so it takes day and night to perfect it!

Back