Do you think Mario is going downhill like Sonic is?

Tiger21820

Master of Fire & Ice & Wario Land 3: Master Quest!
I don't actually think that, but what would your opinion be on the quality of Mario games today?

Are they still what you expect of Mario since Super Mario Bros.?

Look back at Sonic '06 (Never played it, but I don't want to :/ ) and Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Ditto), they were awful. They weren't anything like Sonic the Hedgehog or Sonic Adventure, and we haven't had a traditional Sonic game in years (Much less a 2D game, not counting Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice (Which I am enjoying by the way, can you guess why?))

So do you still have faith in Mario games, and in Sonic games?

I have faith in both.

First off, we already have a similar thread based on a very similar topic to this one. (If Mario has gone downhill in recent years?)
https://warioforums.com/index.php?threads/is-mario-in-a-dark-age.1708/
And second of all.
No I don't think so, has he gone through a few minor bumps?
Well yeah, but even then I think the quality of Mario games is still undoubtedly top notch and high quality, look at stuff like Super Mario 3D World, Super Mario Maker, Mario Kart 7/8 and the two most recent Mario & Luigi games for recent examples of really high quality Mario games, and even his weaker games like the recent Paper Mario games, the NSMB games and the sports games aren't even bad honestly, just not up to par with previous entries beforehand, that doesn't mean they're bad or anything, but they tend to lack that little bit of extra magic that made previous entries so beloved by critics and audiences and with Super Mario Odyssey coming out soon, I have no doubt that Mario will continue to deliver high quality and fun experiences.

Now Sonic is on a whole different level altogether, as ever since the Saturn era, Sonic games have been constantly going up and down in terms of quality, sometimes there's stuff like the Classic games, the Adventure duology and the boost games which have been great and are seen by both fans and critcs to be genuinely great games, and then you have stuff like Heroes, Lost World, the storybook games and the Sonic 4 duology which tends to get a more divided reception among fans of the series, and then you have stuff like 06 and Boom: Rise of Lyric which....yeah, better not to go there,

Now of course at the time of this posting, we have two Sonic games currently in development, a new 2D Classic Sonic game called Sonic Mania, and a new 3D Generations esque game called Sonic Forces
Where you play as the two Sonics plus your own original character (XD) as they aim to take back the world which has been taken over by Eggman and his forces. (Pun not intended.) Now while Mania is shaping up to be possibly one of Sonic's best games yet, Forces has been a bit more divided among fans, due to having some questionable decisions which have rubbed a good tom of people in the wrong way. (Bringing back Classic Sonic and Green Hill, The Custom Hero Creator Etc.) However despite these questionable decisions, I think Forces is shaping up to be quite an interesting game and I think if they play their cards right with this game, it could potentially end up getting just as good of an reception as previous Boost games have gotten, but that's something that we still won't really know until we see and know more about the game itself.

So yes I have faith in Sonic, I always did, and I always will.
Will he keep running into bumps? Of course he will, no franchise is perfect, (Not even Mario is perfect.) but I have no doubt that even with the bumps, big or small, Sonic will keep on running and will not stop doing so. he never did, and as long as he still can....he never will.

And Sonic continues to spin towards the future. Nothing will stop him!"
~ Sonic Jam

Last edited:
Back