Games that left you disappointed

The 3rd Wario Brother

Worlds greatest treasure hunter.
Diamond City Insider
Self explanatory thread.

So for me its Road Runner's Death Valley Rally, or the other names it was given throughout the different regions.

I didn't lose anything since my Windows computer back in the day could easily emulate SNES games. but still i expected it to be great after seeing the title having not played the other shitty sunsoft Loony Tunes games.

Thought Guilty Gear Overture was going to be another great 2D GG fighting game but I was wrong, and I paid full price for a game I hated.

I know Ive had games like this before, but I really cant think of them atm.

But, one that could qualify in a way, this game here-

250px-ToS-R_Cover.jpg

Its not that its "bad", I did enjoy it. But, it definitely wasnt everything I thought it would be : p

The first ToS game was amazing, the gameplay was fun, the characters were super interesting, the story was to this day the best story Ive seen in a video game : p Everything about the game was great, and I liked it a ton and played it often, despite having beaten it multiple times : p

The sequel, I was expecting another big and exciting game like ToS. But really... its a game that you would ONLY like if you had played the original. Its really dialed down. For example, theres no open world, its a point and click map that takes you to a few locations from the original game. Emil and Marta (on the cover) are the two new characters for the game, as well as a few new bad guys to fight with too. I was hoping to replay as the original cast when I first heard about this game, but I was okay with the new characters too : p

You do run into the old cast of the original game, and they serve as your team mates throughout different sections of the game. It feels kinda weird though, like when the main protagonists from the original appears, you want to play as him : p But other than that its not really a bad thing.

The story of the game is so-so, though. It wasnt anything to get excited about. And it ended up adding more to the lore of the original game, which I didnt like. There are references to the original game that I did like, though. You see a few characters both from the good side as well as the bad side, and there was even a conversation between Lloyd (the original protagonist) and Emil about the main villain from the original, and about how he was just misguided. I thought that was really cool.

They also changed the graphics of the game from cel shaded to that generic anime kinda graphics (dunno what to call it), and while at first that was kinda disappointing, it is kinda cool to see the world in a different way.

The music in the game was amazing though, its mostly remixes of the music from the original, and I really liked what they did with it. Its probly the one thing I like most about the game, actually : p

Oh, but you better get used to hearing this quote here if you play it-

Cuz youre gonna hear it alot : p

Mother 1 had a better plot and character dynamics compared to Mother 2. So I like it for that. But gameplay wise it's not as good.

Mother 1 had a better plot and character dynamics compared to Mother 2. So I like it for that. But gameplay wise it's not as good.
It did have better character dynamics, i prefer Ninten's relationship with his party is cooler than Ness's case like how you gotta become friends with Loid rather than Jeff needs to open a door. But it takes awhile for a narrative thread to even exist in M1. Yeah its there but you are just collecting melodies for no reason until you reach Magicant, then it picks up but the bad game design doesn't make me care enough for the story. plus in either case i don't think story mattered a whole lot until Mother 3. The first two just tie the series together IMO.

This may be kinda controversial, but Wario: Master of Disguise didn't pleased me, not at all.
When i bought it i was expecting a new Wario Land game on the DS (or in my case, 3DS) but i wasn't satisfied with what i got, it controls awkard and plays almost nothing like a Wario Land game, just a few minutes in and it lowered my expectations so bad, to the point i left it shortly and have never touched it again, i may give it a second chance someday, just i will play it with the mentality that this is not a Wario Land game.

If someone is a Master of Disguise fan here, please don't be offended, i'm not saying the game is bad or something, i'm sure it's not, but it's just not the game i expected.

This may be kinda controversial, but Wario: Master of Disguise didn't pleased me, not at all.
When i bought it i was expecting a new Wario Land game on the DS (or in my case, 3DS) but i wasn't satisfied with what i got, it controls awkard and plays almost nothing like a Wario Land game, just a few minutes in and it lowered my expectations so bad, to the point i left it shortly and have never touched it again, i may give it a second chance someday, just i will play it with the mentality that this is not a Wario Land game.

If someone is a Master of Disguise fan here, please don't be offended, i'm not saying the game is bad or something, i'm sure it's not, but it's just not the game i expected.
I agree.
Don't forget the excessive use of gross-out humor.
The game left a really bitter taste in my mouth.
There were parts I enjoyed but overall not something I wanna play again.
At least the music was great.

Wario World.

It manages to be one of my all-time favourite games, and one of the biggest rip-offs I ever purchased. $99 for a dreadfully easy game that lasts one afternoon, without a scrap of replay value. I bought it when it was new in Australia (my family weren't rich, either, so my games had to last me!)
I adore the game, but I really should have sent Nintendo a letter of complaint. Totally unacceptable for a first-party title from 2003. No longevity at all.

Zelda BotW was a let down to me because it didn't really feel like a Zelda game, felt more like those Skyrim-style modern openworld games that the market is already oversaturated with. I would rather unlock new areas and items as I progress in the story, not have it all available to me from the start--the whole charm of Zelda games is that you see a place that you can't access at the moment, and look forward to getting an item to allow you to reach it later in the game. But BotW hands you all your tools in the first hour, so no areas are locked off for you to look forward to, and nothing left to the imagination.

There's no real sense of progression or narrative with BotW either, since you can go wherever you want in any order you want. It felt aimless and I'd even describe it as 'lonely' at times. I think a Link to the Past was the best compromise between free-roaming exploration and story, as it gave you a huge overworld that was mostly open to you from the get-go, but also constantly fed you new areas to unlock as you progressed the narrative.

Plus openworld games are always bloated with too much repetitive content, to the point that by the time you find your 100th shrine or 700th Deku seed or whatever, none of it feels meaningful anymore. I always think the best and most memorable games know when to end while the player is still invested, instead of dragging on to the point that you want the game to just end so you can move on to something else.

BotW had some great puzzles, combat, environments, etc., but I just wish it wasn't framed as an openworld game.

99 bucks? What the heck? Why so expensive?

Well, I'm no expert on finance or monetary exchange, but in Australia, $99 is a price reserved for major first-party titles, "AAA" games, and stuff with heavy production values. Basically, it's the highest asking retail price for video games over here. It's a lot of money, and any game carrying that price tag should be an investment to the buyer/player (I even told my mother a white lie, just so she'd buy the game). Well... You can imagine how I felt a day or two later. Ha! Some investment...

Last edited:
Zelda BotW was a let down to me because it didn't really feel like a Zelda game, felt more like those Skyrim-style modern openworld games that the market is already oversaturated with. I would rather unlock new areas and items as I progress in the story, not have it all available to me from the start--the whole charm of Zelda games is that you see a place that you can't access at the moment, and look forward to getting an item to allow you to reach it later in the game. But BotW hands you all your tools in the first hour, so no areas are locked off for you to look forward to, and nothing left to the imagination.

There's no real sense of progression or narrative with BotW either, since you can go wherever you want in any order you want. It felt aimless and I'd even describe it as 'lonely' at times. I think a Link to the Past was the best compromise between free-roaming exploration and story, as it gave you a huge overworld that was mostly open to you from the get-go, but also constantly fed you new areas to unlock as you progressed the narrative.

Plus openworld games are always bloated with too much repetitive content, to the point that by the time you find your 100th shrine or 700th Deku seed or whatever, none of it feels meaningful anymore. I always think the best and most memorable games know when to end while the player is still invested, instead of dragging on to the point that you want the game to just end so you can move on to something else.

BotW had some great puzzles, combat, environments, etc., but I just wish it wasn't framed as an openworld game.
All the reasons you gave are why I love the game. :sgrin:

Well, I'm no expert on finance or monetary exchange, but in Australia, $99 is a price reserved for major first-party titles, "AAA" games, and stuff with heavy production values. Basically, it's the highest asking retail price for video games over here. It's a lot of money, and any game carrying that price tag should be an investment to the buyer/player (I even told my mother a white lie, just so she'd buy the game). Well... You can imagine how I felt a day or two later. Ha!! Some investment...
It's not a terrible game but it's definitely not worth a hundred bucks.

After your thoughts on Wario World and its price being too high, I'm hoping you didn't buy the original Luigi's Mansion for the same price. That's the one game that can compete with Wario World on the 'short game' scale.

After your thoughts on Wario World and its price being too high, I'm hoping you didn't buy the original Luigi's Mansion for the same price. That's the one game that can compete with Wario World on the 'short game' scale.

On the contrary, even Luigi's Mansion had an extra difficulty mode, changing the world and adding a brutal difficulty boost. There's also the challenge of getting every secret money stash, and shooting for the highest end-game score in both modes.

In Wario World we get none of that. The game doesn't even place a value on money like Luigi's Mansion. It's just there to buy useless garlic/endless continues you'll never need, despite coins being the key plot device. Once you get everything, you've seen and done it all. The 8 levels become hollow, and your only reward is a WarioWare demo. Understand, I adore Wario World, but it's so meager for a full-price game, I felt robbed and cheated. It wasn't value for money, and there's no excuse for such brevity.

On the contrary, even Luigi's Mansion had an extra difficulty mode, changing the world and adding a brutal difficulty boost. There's also the challenge of getting every secret money stash, and shooting for the highest end-game score in both modes.

In Wario World we get none of that. The game doesn't even place a value on money like Luigi's Mansion. It's just there to buy useless garlic/endless continues you'll never need, despite coins being the key plot device. Once you get everything, you've seen and done it all. The 8 levels become hollow, and your only reward is a WarioWare demo. Understand, I adore Wario World, but it's so meager for a full-price game, I felt robbed and cheated. It wasn't value for money, and there's no excuse for such brevity.
Feels like Wario sold it to you?

Back