Games you had low expectations for that blew you away

MonaWare

do wa ditty
Diamond City Insider
This is a change up from 3rd Wario Bros thread about games that you were disappointed by : p

So, yeah, have you ever got a game thinking it wouldnt be anything great, that ended up being something you would call a favorite game? I have a few : p

The biggest one for me would probly be Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean for Gamecube-

Baten%20Kaitos%20-%20Eternal%20Wings%20and%20the%20Lost%20Ocean.jpg

I remember finding this game while video game shopping with my little brother. I thought the game looked way pretty, like definitely something Id want to play. But I saw that it used a card based battle system, which really turned me off : p I thought about picking this one up, but instead I got Paper Mario TTYD that day (which Im happy that I did : p )

Later on I went back to that game store and found this game still sitting there, so I decided to give it a chance, hoping that the pretty graphics would make the game worth playing : p And when I first played the game, I actually really hated the battle system : p I felt it was too confusing and weird to get into, haha.

It took me a YEAR to finally give this game another chance and try it again. And I put in some effort, and learned the battle system, and I found that it wasnt as bad as I first thought it was : p And once I learned how to enjoy it, I found out that the game itself was really awesome. It quickly became one of my all time favorite games ever : p

Another game with a similar story-

Lost%20Kingdoms.jpg

Another day of video game shopping with my little brother, I had very little money on me and figured Id just watch him shop that day. I was looking at Gamecube games again, and I saw this on the shelf. It was priced for 5$ : p I showed it to my little brother, not knowing what I had found, and he assured me it was gonna be a bad game and that I shouldnt waste my money : p

I decided to buy it anyway, having no idea what I bought other than a pretty case. I started the game and on the first level in Alenja castle, and I wasnt even very far in, I like stepped out into the first doorway, but I liked the music and graphics so much that I had to tell my little brother that he was wrong and that the game was amazing, haha : p

And lastly-

big.jpg

I went years before I finally bought this game : p
Throughout the Wii's existence, I actually had a subscription to Nintendo Power, as I wanted to keep up with everything coming out on the console (I really liked the Wii : p ) I was always the most excited about seeing JRPGs coming out for the system (I spent a year and a half being super excited for Arc Rise Fantasia), and I remember seeing this one. I had planned to buy it, but when they did the review for this game they gave it a very low rating. They called the game boring, with a bad storyline that made no sense, and that it wasnt worth owning. So I never tried real hard to get the game until about two years ago when I had the money to get a few new games : p

And while its not the greatest game ever made ever, its far from terrible. I had alot of fun with this game. I cant really think of much to say about it, but if you like small open world rpgs with character building and junk, its definitely worth playing. Its definitely the kind of game that is better than the reviews it was given : p

Anywho, you guys should post about games you had low expectations for, but ended up really liking too.

Low expectations? Well, don't think I can really name any games I bought which I had low expectations for. Kind of knew which games I'd enjoy before buying them.

Still, I guess Paper Mario Color Splash would be the closest example here. Didn't consider the game too amazing, but found it at least decent in general, and it was significantly better than I'd thought it'd be when I saw the announcement trailer posted online:

No one here has been blown away so far *Cries*
I think the same goes for me since I feel like I am more often disappointed than surprised. Most games that I'd have low expectations for are games that wouldn't fit my tastes rather than because they seem bad.

I remember when I was younger seeing the promotional beta footage for Pac-Man World 3 before the game came out on E3 sites and whatnot. I was scared it was going to be another game I'd hate considering it was taking a darker direction - and coming off from Shadow the Hedgehog (2005)? Yeah, You should see why.

I ended up having more fun with it than I did with Shadow though, and I ended up liking the game even more (though not as much as World 2) after revisiting it a year back to see if my thoughts had changed as well as to see if it was as bad as some people were disowning the game to be.

Garfield games are always rubbish. But this one while far best, is pretty decent atleast fora single weekend. For a Genesis game it looks goood enough and sounds good enough. Some effects are dated but its a surprising amount of technical prowess for a licensed game.

It cool that the sprites look like the comic and the pre rendered stuff doesn't quite kill it.

I was pretty sure I wouldn't like Twilight Princess, cuz I was only interested in cartoony aesthetic at the time I played it. I had a preconceived notion that anything not super colorful must be adult-y and consequently not fun. The only reason I bought it was because I had enjoyed other Zelda games in the past. It ended up becoming one of my favorite Zelda games and favorite artstyles though.

Back