How do you feel about the English versions of the WarioWare songs?

Dumribble

The Post Rater™
As everyone knows, the first WarioWare and its GCN port did not translate the songs from the original versions, which were in Japanese. However, as I expected (since the opposite was too good to be true), Nintendo of America sadly changed their policy throughout the subsequent games in the series.

We already know the basics of why this happens, and I'd not like the discussion to delve into the appreciation or not of the Japanese language or culture (if it matters to you, I appreciate cultures as a whole, not just Japanese). However, I feel WarioWare should be a fitting series for this tradition to be subverted, for a few reasons: it is a series that is intrinsically Japanese-inspired, comprehension of the lyrics is not necessary to play the microgame sections they're played in, and also because they're limited in number (two stages have them at most), and therefore should not negatively affect sales. More importantly, in the case of the songs being translated, I strongly feel that an option to hear the original tunes should be kept in the game.

What do you think?

I actually like the english versions of the songs, but I can definentally agree that the player should have the option to choose the version of their preference.
I can understand why SOME (not all, but some) cultural references or fecal matter are changed for international versions, leaving the original songs in really shouldn't be an issue thought...

I love that the localization staff is allowed to goof off and the english songs are a great showcase of why Treehouse is the best localization arm in the bizz.

Back