Is Wario just a bad series for cosplay?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
I was just thinking this after reading that other thread, and to be honest, it may explain why most attempts at cosplaying Wario characters are so mediocre.

Put simply, the character design just doesn't really lend itself to it. I mean, take Wario himself. He's an awesome character in general, but he's just so masculine and all that he doesn't really lend himself well to cosplay attempts (cause most cosplayers are female, and are simply too unlike Wario to pull it off).

Same with the other main characters. Either too non human, too young or too ambiguous in terms of age and design (the last one applies to Ashley, who seems to have an appearance somewhere between a young kid and a young adult, with mixed characteristics of both) to really mimic here. Contrast to say, Fire Emblem or what not, where the characters are mostly humanoid.

It's also why Zelda wouldn''t work as a live action movie. It'd be too special effect heavy.

But thoughts?

• Agree
Reactions: 607
Probably yes, bad to cosplay. I've seen some people cosplaying as Ashley and I'd have to say it isn't half bad at all in my opinion.

I also don't really see the other characters being cosplayed before, just Mona and penny I think.

Yeah, a few male characters wouldn't be terribly difficult, but the amount of male cosplayers who would want to be Wario or Jimmy or something is unfortunately rather small.

Generally it is rather hard to cosplay a character who is meant to look overly cartoony IMO. Unless it's Pac-Man: Just make a huge ball and draw a face on it. :U

• Agree
Reactions: 607
Generally it is rather hard to cosplay a character who is meant to look overly cartoony IMO. Unless it's Pac-Man: Just make a huge ball and draw a face on it. :U

That's a good point. It's why both the Mario series and the Wario series don't really do cosplay all too well. Their character designs and proportions are completely different from those for normal human beings.

I think cosplay works best with characters that look enough like real people in terms of proportions or, if a cosplayer is sufficiently skillfull, a costume that can be a full body costume, like a robot, a knight, a monster of some kind...Though with that former kind the costume still needs to be bipedal and have human-like proportions. Wario characters I guess are just too cartoony in terms of proportions to pull off aside from I guess some of the human Ware characters.

I think cosplay works best with characters that look enough like real people in terms of proportions or, if a cosplayer is sufficiently skillfull, a costume that can be a full body costume, like a robot, a knight, a monster of some kind...Though with that former kind the costume still needs to be bipedal and have human-like proportions. Wario characters I guess are just too cartoony in terms of proportions to pull off aside from I guess some of the human Ware characters.

And even then, they fall foul of the human like proportions thing. Even some of the commonly attempted human characters like Mona, Ashley and Jimmy T just don't quite like normal people in a few ways, so any attempt at mimicking them usually looks ridiculous.

Guys, I found the best Mario cosplay.
OZvHxIE.jpg

it doesnt have the m, thats clearly not mario bru

I think in general there might be a lack of enthusiasm? like for there to be a good cosplay itd take a great cosplayer who happens to take interest into the series to the point of spending the money and time into making a costume. since it aint so popular thats harder to achieve and itd take kind of a nice miracle for both aspects to match (gud cosplayer + big fan)

my syrup cosplay wasnt so bad tho i made it with luv and glue :,cccc

And even then, they fall foul of the human like proportions thing. Even some of the commonly attempted human characters like Mona, Ashley and Jimmy T just don't quite like normal people in a few ways, so any attempt at mimicking them usually looks ridiculous.
I don't think a Young Cricket cosplay would look bad.

For someone to cosplay as Dr. Crygor they'd have to shave their head. But it's doable. Hell I've seen some decent Diddy and Dixie cosplay before. Just takes some remaining of the characters as more human.

For someone to cosplay as Dr. Crygor they'd have to shave their head. But it's doable. Hell I've seen some decent Diddy and Dixie cosplay before. Just takes some remaining of the characters as more human.

Some remaining of the characters as more human? What?

it doesnt have the m, thats clearly not mario bru

I think in general there might be a lack of enthusiasm? like for there to be a good cosplay itd take a great cosplayer who happens to take interest into the series to the point of spending the money and time into making a costume. since it aint so popular thats harder to achieve and itd take kind of a nice miracle for both aspects to match (gud cosplayer + big fan)

my syrup cosplay wasnt so bad tho i made it with luv and glue :,cccc

That's actually an interesting point. Apparently, the reason we have so many bad cosplays of Ashley and the likes is because not only is no one spending time on making a decent costume, but they're buying a standard costume that to be honest... likely doesn't look particularly good. I think there are shops selling cosplay gear, and whoever made the ones for characters like Ashley and Mona and Wario just didn't give a toss.

the idea of buying cosplay gear of wario characters feels like a stretch on its own to be honest ;A;

Just to add, I think any of the characters are uh, cosplayable with enough skill and creativity. Them being too cartoony isnt really much of an issue, since most of the designs are pretty unique on their own independant of the style, they'd still be recognizeable with a realistic sort of adaptation. I think crygor would look hella cool with like a spandex suit a la men in thights from Inc's survival mode for example, it'd feel in line with the sense of humour of the games. Again, its just a matter of creativity, skill, and the proper enthusiasm.

If you say so. But a lot of the main characters here are already human, the problem is that they're also designed in such a way that most cosplays just look really bad because of their somewhat off designs. By making them more realistic, you make them basically unrecognisable.

Back