Is Wario Land 4 just a really impressive game in general?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
Because the more I think about it, the more I think how much effort the makers of this game put into it compared to... well, most 2D platformers out there.

Take the graphics for example. They make look 'cartoony', but you know, they're actually really quite impressive on a technical and artistic level. The fact every single room in Pinball Zone has a unique background/art, or how even things like the background walls patterns are different in each area of Hotel Horror is a crazy level of detail that I suspect has been seen in very few games since. You don't see that sort of attention to detail in most 2D games, and it means that graphically, the game probably has more variety within its 18 levels than most such games do in about 90.

Same with the music. Really, I'm not sure what's more impressive. The fact the full soundtrack has about 90 songs (despite the fact it's a game with only 18 stages) or the fact each and every one is unique in both musical genre and feel. Or that each one kind of sounds amazing (even more so for a GBA game).

And gameplay? Well, the fact someone wrote a book about it should give you an idea of how much importance was placed on that (and level design in general):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Game-Design-Companion-Critical-Analysis-ebook/dp/B00HZNS6JW

That's all I can say. The more I examine this game (and try and rip its graphics for the site), the more I realise just how much effort was put into every aspect of it, and how depressing it is that few games since seem to be made with as much care and attention.

Anyone agree?

There's a lot of great design that can be found in many games and most developers put a great deal of effort into their work. Wario land 4 isn't unique in that regard, but it's still very cohesive platformer with all the excellent trappings of a first-party Nintendo game.

Back