Kirby Star Allies (March 16th 2018)

TB100

What you see is what you get, just a guy...

Surprised I hadn't done a thread like this back when it premiered during E3
But Kirby is officially going to HD Bitches!!! (Rainbow Curse doesn't really count as that's a spin off.)
With Kirby for Switch

Now we don't know anything about the overall story or anything
But we do know the Helper system from Super Star/Super Star Ultra is back in this game which is done via throwing hearts at enemies
And so is combining power ups from Kirby 64 (Which was a neat concept) and some older power ups such as clean from Dreamland 3 also look to make their grand return

As for general thoughts
Seeing as I definitely enjoyed both of the 3DS Kirby games
I'm very much looking forward to this game and seeing how they bring Mainline Kirby into HD

I will admit, it'll be a bit difficult to top Planet Robobot
One of my favorite Kirby games and one of my 3DS games of all time.
But seeing that this is Kirby we're talking here, a series that has had constantly great games, it'll most likely be a good time anyway.

What do you think?

Are you ready to be an adorable pink cannibal and eat enemies alive like a madman and use their powers in High definition and on the go?!

Do you have hope that adeleine could make her long awaited return in this game? (I do have some minor hope, even if it's not the most realistic, since they have started to finally acknowledge her existence again via sticker form in Planet Robobot and official artwork for the 25th anniversary.)

Do you think it can top the recent 3DS games or previous Kirby games before it?

Talk about your thoughts below.

Also that Green Greens remix is incredible.

Last edited:
Oooh! Kirby is back! Man, I haven't played a new Kirby game since... uhm... Well, anyway this looks good and promising. Maybe I should pick the series up agian.

Oooh! Kirby is back! Man, I haven't played a new Kirby game since... uhm... Well, anyway this looks good and promising. Maybe I should pick the series up agian.
You really should
Especially play the 3DS Entries if you hadn't.
As those two are by far some of Kirby's best in my opinion.
Triple Deluxe is a traditional Kirby adventure that still manages to pull a few tricks out of it's hat.
Whereas Planet Robobot goes all out and is arguably one of his most creative titles to date.

Seriously both games are a lot of fun and I definitely recommend them both.

Fun gameplay, plenty of replayablity, amazing presentation that pushes the 3DS to the absolute limit (Planet Robobot actually makes the 3DS lag every now and then due to how much it pushes it.) Great music, they're just an overall good time and I will definitely recommend them.

New trailer shown off during the Direct and wow it's looking pretty snazzy.

We also have a logo
DJo2mutXkAYwfL7.jpg

New trailer for Star Allies was shown off during today's mini Direct and we got some new details
regarding the story, two new copy abilities (Artist and Spider) and new gameplay footage

We also finally got a solid release date with it coming out on March 16th 2018

And also, here's the very adorable box art.
IMG_0231.JPEG

Seriously this game is just looking great

Best part of the game(especially being Adeleine!) is being able to play through the main-game as the Kirby enemies or Dream Friends.
Unlike helper to hero it isn't just boss fights but the campaign albeit changed a bit to suit the helpers which is a big plus and the main campaign.

Also like how there's a tidbit in the menu once you pause your game with a certain helper, you get a bit of a description for them. Bugzy gets the best one he truly is a world warrior.

Considering Wave 3 is coming out in a couple of weeks, making this game relevant in my mind again, may as well make a late ass post regarding my thoughts on Kirby's latest adventure.

Note: I'm gonna be talking about this game purely from a single player perspective, as I've never played multiplayer (I don't have many RL friends to play the game with), so I can't say what the game is like from that perspective. It's most likely more fun from that perspective though seeing as multiplayer centric games like this usually are.

Honestly, Star Allies was a bit underwelming compared to past games, now I don't think it's bad or anything (This is Kirby we're talking here.), but I feel like the bigger focus on multiplayer really brought down the level design IMO, I know level design is not one of Kirby's stronger suits, but the level design in past games felt more clever and tighter compared to here due to the fact that it only had to accustom to one character, not 4 at the same time, it also lacks memorable gimmicks and setpieces compared to previous games IMO. It has it's moments definitely, but they're definitely not up to the same level IMO.

I also thought it played things a bit too safe for my liking, now don't get me wrong, it doesn't ruin the game, but considering how creative Triple Deluxe and especially Planet Robobot were and after Kirby's last console outing gave us a game that went for a completely different style.
kirby1.jpg

I felt like it could have taken some more creative risks then it ended up doing personally (Though I can definitely understand why it would go for more of a back to basics approach and it doesn't ruin the game like I said.)

Another thing I thought the game took a step backwards with was the subgames, Star Slam Heroes and Chop Chomps, while fun, they don't even come close to the fun and insanely replayable subgames from Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot, instead feeling more like the subgames from Return to Dreamland, which were basically just fun little distractions as opposed to being basically full fledged games on their own, which isn't a bad thing per-se, but a bit disappointing as I was expecting something more, ah well....

However despite that, I think there is still plenty of good stuff here, for one, the graphics are fucking gorgeous, the music is pure wonderful and catchy bliss as per usual for Kirby.

and the overall gameplay is basically what you expect from Kirby, fun and engaging, I also enjoyed the Combination abilities, it's not as in depth or as creative as 64's combo mechanics sadly, but it's still fun to fuck around with.

And while the bosses can be pathetic at times with 4 characters beating their asses (Though you can easily do em solo), they are fun and I enjoyed a lot of them. (Especially Buff Dedede and the last few bosses.)

Speaking of bosses, The Ultimate Choice is also pretty cool as well, it's basically The Arena/The True Arena combined with the difficulty meter from Kid Icarus: Uprising and the recent Super Smash Bros games, It's a pretty fun twist on the Classic mode and I would like to see it stick around.

The fact that you can play it with your allies and dream friends as well as Kirby is pretty neat too...which speaking of

The best part and probably the highlight of Star Allies though IMO is undoubtuly the Games' second primary mode, Guest Star ???? Star Allies Go! mode, where not only will you be able to play as the emenies like in Helper to Hero from Superstar Ultra, but you'll also get to play as various characters such as Dedede, Meta Knight and Bandana Dee

That's not however what makes Guest Star ???? Star Allies Go! so fucking amazing though.
What makes it fucking amazing is to see and play as all of these guys!
kirby-star-allies-wave-3.jpg

Marx, Adeleine and Ribbon, The animal buddies, Dark Meta Knight, Deroach, even fucking Gooey are all playable characters here and many more, each with their own special abilities and animations and a few even levels that will occassionally take use of their abilities. (Including redone versions of older levels.) adding a ton of replay value to Star Allies as a result.

What makes this even better though is the fact that Hal Labs is just giving us all of these characters for free
yes, FREE!

Seriously, Hal Labs did not have to do this, they didn't have to make them free, hell they didn't even need to bring back these characters back in the first place, but they did anyway and that's just fucking wonderful and it really shows me that Hal Labs truly has a passion and love for not only the Kirby franchise, but for it's fans as well.

Now It may not redeem the game entirely of it's flaws, but just the mere fact that we're even seeing some of these characters again in the first place after years of being forgotten on the sidelines, let alone playing as them, is just fucking incredible and I feel very grateful and thankful for Hal Labs for doing this.

I really hope these characters will continue to make future appearences beyond Star Allies with maybe even some being upgraded to mainstays instead of being thrown right back into the forgotten characters bin right after Star Allies is done and over with. (Oh yeah and the allies themselves are fun too.)

You can also have them be your allies in the main adventure too via Dream Palaces that appear on the maps, which is pretty cool and can lead to some fun combinations. Of course you just can go simple and have the RtDL or 64 gang together again or you can have Kirby team up with fucking Marx of all people because well....you just can.

Overall feelings: While I had fun with this game and I come back to it every so often, Kirby Star Allies is admitedlly a bit on the underwelming side and it does feel like a bit of a step down from the last few Kirby games in terms of new ideas and level design from a single player's perspective, however in spite of it's flaws, it's still a very fun and worthwhile Kirby game with wonderful presentation values, a great soundtrack, the same fun and quality gameplay that we have come to expect from Kirby and a shit ton of wonderful fanservice that will undoubtfully please every Kirby fan
including the long awaited return of quite a few characters with some even making their playable debut here..

Not his best game IMO, but it's very a solid one all around.

Last edited:
Back