Luigi's Mansion 3DS Remake

ShyGuyXXL

Shyster Guyster
Diamond City Insider
Another remake...

Remakes, remakes, remakes, ports, ports, ports,...

This is cool... because I LOVE the original Luigi's Mansion. And I like that they are trying really hard to keep the original's look... but I dunno if the 3DS is the best place for it...

It doesn't look much better from the original... and the low resolution of the 3DS really hurts it...
I mean for pity sake, you can count the pixels on Mario's face when he's in the painting!
upload_2018-3-9_10-48-11.png

I think the Switch would've been a better place for it.

I also noticed the ghosts aren't that... transparent. They look more plastic that on the Gamecube. :/

What do y'all think?

The original Luigi's Mansion was intended to be in 3D. The developers just couldn't get the technology to work right for the Gamecube. So this is them finally getting that game in 3D.

The original Luigi's Mansion was intended to be in 3D. The developers just couldn't get the technology to work right for the Gamecube. So this is them finally getting that game in 3D.
It's what we've all been clamoring for for years. :S8V:

When I saw it, I immediately wanted a handheld port or sequel to Wario World, even though the 3DS would bastardise its terrific effects, lighting, etc. I'd love to play that game on the go, and have some difficulty tweaks and options, to give the game some substance and longevity.

It would probably never happen. Treasure Corp. were the original anti-sequel company. Thanks to Konami, they despised doing sequels or ports, unless they felt it absolutely necessary. They also haven't been active in years, and Wario World was far from their best work. Oh, how the mighty have fallen...

Last edited:
Wonder if this will be the America and Japan's first chance to experience the Hidden Mansion as seen in the European version of the game?

Wonder if this will be the America and Japan's first chance to experience the Hidden Mansion as seen in the European version of the game?
They better use the EU version! The other one was cheap and lazy.
Speaking of bonus content, I hope there's more additional content besides the Boss Rush mode. The original games was pretty short, so I wouldn't wanna have to pay 60 bucks for so little content.
Maybe add another mode that's even harder than the Hidden mansion? I wanna have a challenge!
And if they don't have any substantial additional content, then they better reduce the price. 30 bucks would be more than enough.

GameXplain just uploaded a really cool comparison video:

Here's what I wrote in the comments:

The ghosts barely even look transparent. They look like plastic. :/ They also don't have that ghostly aura surrounding them (or if they do then it's barely noticable). Luigi is glowing on his own for some reason and his colors look kinda washed-out...
He doesn't even really get squished when the door hits him...
Some textures are better...some are worse...
There are almost no dust particles flying around. Can the 3DS not handle that many particles?
Mario's painting looks horribly pixelated...
The 3D models don't look any better than in the original...
And the low resolution of the 3DS is NOT helping. :/
There's a reason why people wanted this on Switch.

Also:

I really, REALLY hope they'll fix that issue where money can disappear while you are waiting for a gem grabbing animation to finish. I HATED that in the original.

That makes me conflicted about this game. The style changes you mentioned aren't the greatest, but at the same time, part of me is impressed this thing is even running on a handheld system like the 3DS at all. I mean, I really liked Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, and my hope was always that more console style experiences would end up on 3DS (and it'd avert the DS' issue of being a 3D capable console mostly used for 2D platformers).

Still, I am wondering how they translated the control scheme over. The 3DS doesn't have the pressure sensitive buttons from the GameCube, does it? And while Dark Moon worked well, that control scheme wouldn't work too well here simply because the original is a far slower paced game whereas Dark Moon is basically an action one. Luigi from the latter would clean house in the former in about 20 minutes.

Ah well, I guess we'll see what else is different nearer release.

Oh yeah, I forgot something. Wonder if the lighting differences here are meant to match the PAL version of the original game?

Pretty sure I read somewhere that they brightened it up for the PAL version, then used the international brightness settings (aka way darker) for the Hidden Mansion mode instead.

Still, I am wondering how they translated the control scheme over. The 3DS doesn't have the pressure sensitive buttons from the GameCube, does it?
Well, you'll probably only be able to spray one degree of fire/water/ice (all or nothing). Maybe that means you won't be able to shoot fire/water/ice balls either. Or they could make it so when you hold one shoulder button to shoot your element and then pess the other one it could fire the ball.
Also, the regular 3DS doesn't have a C-stick. The way Dark Moon did it wasn't always the best. I really hope the remake makes use of the C-nipple on the New 3DS.

I would like to play this then play Dark Moon right after to keep the mood going! (Kinda like playing Banjo-Kazooie then playing Banjo-Tooie right after that)

I would like to play this then play Dark Moon right after to keep the mood going! (Kinda like playing Banjo-Kazooie then playing Banjo-Tooie right after that)

Sounds good. Wish I could do the same, but alas, my copy of Dark Moon is now not in working order.

So it turns out Grezzo is developing this. You know, the ones behind the Zelda OoT and MM remakes. And like how those remakes have taken liberties in making some changes, LM1 here can too.

So far we have a different gallery and boss rush mode. But for a few other changes:

-Give JP and NA the PAL Hidden Mansion.
-Give Melody's piano quiz more tunes/questions than just the same two.
-And for the love of all things holy, clear up the unexplained "Bowser paradox" by making it look like an actual mecha this time.

Honestly, I'm curious if they'll take any other game design liberties here too, like in Majora's Mask 3D.

Doubtful, but it's always a possibility.

Back