Mechanics you hate in games you love

ShyGuyXXL

Shyster Guyster
Diamond City Insider
I think we all have at least one game that we really love but which also has that one game mechanic that is just bafflingly stupid, annoying or broken, without being bad enough that it sours the entire game for us.

For me, that has to be the inventory & menu system in Earthbound.

Earthbound is in many regards a great game but the inventory system is just garbage.
For starters, it doesn't have a section for important items.
Why do the sound stone, the map, the ATM card AND the receiver phone all have to be stored in your regular inventory? They are all very basic but passive items that you can't use in battle so they should really have their own category.
Also stuff like the pencil eraser or many other quest items, they all clog up your inventory.
I mean come on, every RPG (even back when this was made) had a basic "key items" or "important things" section.
I shouldn't have to occupy so many item slots just so I can look at my map or recieve scripted phone calls or be able to get my fucking money.
Sure, it's charming and "realistic"... but the charm quickly wears off and it just gets annoying.

Add to that the fact that all of your equip items ALSO have to be stored in the same inventory and Ness ends up with almost no space in his pockets.
Besides that, I think you should always have a description of each item and ability on screen whenever you have the cursor on it, instead of having to select "help" on every item individually or go into another menu. You can't even do that during battle, in a shop or in other menus like that.
So when you're in a shop and there's an item you don't know, you just have to buy it in good faith that it'll be useful and then check your inventory to see what it does. If you're lucky it won't be a total waste of money or inventory space.
And when you have one of the million different status ailments and forgot which PSI Healing you need to get rid of it, if you're in battle, you just have to either take a guess or use the best one you have and potentially waste your precious PP.

When my RPG ("That's the Spirit!", I mentioned it before, elsewhere) is done I want the inventory system to be as convenient, intuitive and user-friendly as possible.
There will always be a description that tells you every single thing you need to know about an item or move, even in stores or other menus, all the equip items go into a seperate menu, so they don't take up space in your inventory, and when you're in a shop you'll be able to buy, sell, check and re-arrange your items all on the same screen without having to go in and out of menus.

Same with equip items. Why shouldn't you be able to do everything you can do in your "equip" screen while in a shop? If you want to try out different items you already own or check how they effect your stats you shouldn't have to leave the shop screen.

But you get the gist.

What about you? Any specific game mechanics or elements that you hate without ruining the game for you?

I forgot to mention, the whole shop system? FUCK THAT!
I mean just look how many steps there are if you JUST want to sell 3 things:

"Would you like to do business?"
>Yes
No

"What would you like to do?"
Buy
>Sell

"What would you like to sell?"
*selects one item*

"I'll give you 10$ for that.
>Yes
No

"Anything else?"
>Yes
No

Buy
>Sell

*selects one item*

>Yes
No

"Anything else?"
>Yes
No

Buy
>Sell

*selects one item*

>Yes
No

"Anything else?"
Yes
>No

THIS SHOULD NEVER TAKE THAT LONG!
There are so many unnecessary steps, it's ridiculous.
And god forbid if you accidentally press A or B one too many times while trying to forward the dialog too quickly or else you'll have to start from the beginning again.
And you have to sit through some characters' spiel every single time you want to buy or sell something. Like the Mr. Saturns.
All the Shop owners would have to say is
"How can I help you?"
>Buy
Sell
And then you can keep buying or selling things as much as you fucking want without feeling like you're being ejected from the store after every single transaction.

It's even more baffling since there are some features that are actually very convenient.
Like being able to equip a new item immediately and selling the old one, all in one go.
That's like getting a rotten sandwich with gold flakes on top.
If you could afford gold flakes why couldn't you afford a fresh sandwhich?

Last edited:
The morph ball activation in Metroid games. Gosh, pressing down twice can break a run if you miss the double tapping by one frame!
In AM2R, they implemented a one button press to activate the morph ball, with is so useful!

Sometimes I double tap down to activate it and it doesn't register, so I just sit there, as you can't move while crouching...
Worst is that you have to press up to get out of it, so you can shoot doors and enemies, and somehow, it feels slow.

Completing the catalogue in Animal Crossing can be a bit of a pain. Keeping track of what you bought was difficult. Listening to Tom Nook or Timmy/Tommy saying their same dialogue over and over when buying things can be a bit annoying as well. I wish there was an easy way to tell if you bought something before. It started to feel like a chore after a while.
I don't really care about completing it anymore though and I just buy things I like which fells like a relief lol. There's a badge for completing most of the catalogue, but it doesn't really matter.

Completing the catalogue in Animal Crossing can be a bit of a pain. Keeping track of what you bought was difficult. Listening to Tom Nook or Timmy/Tommy saying their same dialogue over and over when buying things can be a bit annoying as well. I wish there was an easy way to tell if you bought something before. It started to feel like a chore after a while.
I don't really care about completing it anymore though and I just buy things I like which fells like a relief lol. There's a badge for completing most of the catalogue, but it doesn't really matter.
Ah yes, the infamous tutorial... It's one of the factors that pulls me away from starting a new game, and at some point, I would rather start over, since there's nothing much to do after you paid everything.
Tough choice, continue without a goal or start fresh with a whole bunch of painful tutorial...

Ah yes, the infamous tutorial... It's one of the factors that pulls me away from starting a new game, and at some point, I would rather start over, since there's nothing much to do after you paid everything.
Tough choice, continue without a goal or start fresh with a whole bunch of painful tutorial...
I always like to find something to do with my town for this reason. With no self-imposed goal, Animal Crossing gets boring. At the moment, I'm trying to grow blue roses and decorate my house. Haven't played for a while though so I'm afraid of playing again and possibly seeing someone I like leaving. ;-;

That reminds me, I hate that there are items you can only get if you live in specific countries. Especially if they are really cool! Like, in germany you can't get the Mr. Resetti figurine, I'm pretty sure. It suuucks!

Does Fluzzard from Super Mario Galaxy 2 count as a 'mechanic'? Or just a gimmick?

Because that was a painful thing to use. One mistake and you're dead in a level involving awkward motion controls and really picky targets to hit for the Comet Medal.

Then again, most motion control sections in Galaxy 1 and 2 were painful. Anything that didn't involve either merely shaking the remote or pointing it became a frustrating nightmare near immediately.

Super Metroid had a TON of them, so many that it actually swayed my opinion of that game from loving it at first to absolutely despising it. Wall jumping, grappling, trying to escape the FREAKING quicksand... All mechanics that should be extremely easy to program I would think. Absurdly difficult to pull off though.

I never get to see the Puff Puff in DQ, Then it turned out to be slimes, Then DQ heroes comes in and goes crazy. Baby wants tits goddamnit!

I only joke, i actually liked that. In all seriousness i don't like that Harvest Moon 64 (Don't know about the series since i played 3 HM games) you can use greenhouses. Sure its fine for beginners but this game is already so friggin chill so why do i need it to be easier.

Does Fluzzard from Super Mario Galaxy 2 count as a 'mechanic'? Or just a gimmick?

Because that was a painful thing to use. One mistake and you're dead in a level involving awkward motion controls and really picky targets to hit for the Comet Medal.

Then again, most motion control sections in Galaxy 1 and 2 were painful. Anything that didn't involve either merely shaking the remote or pointing it became a frustrating nightmare near immediately.

Green stars! *Gives you flashbacks*

Super Metroid had a TON of them, so many that it actually swayed my opinion of that game from loving it at first to absolutely despising it. Wall jumping, grappling, trying to escape the FREAKING quicksand... All mechanics that should be extremely easy to program I would think. Absurdly difficult to pull off though.
That's why Super Metroid is my least favorite.

Green stars! *Gives you flashbacks*
OH LAWD, DEM HORRORS!

The morph ball activation in Metroid games. Gosh, pressing down twice can break a run if you miss the double tapping by one frame!
In AM2R, they implemented a one button press to activate the morph ball, with is so useful!

Sometimes I double tap down to activate it and it doesn't register, so I just sit there, as you can't move while crouching...
Worst is that you have to press up to get out of it, so you can shoot doors and enemies, and somehow, it feels slow.

I was confused when I read this, but eventually realized that you must be talking about the 2d games. I have very very little experience with them. I really really liked the 3d games, though. Luckily you just hit the x button (I think) to use the morph ball. I think everything in the Prime games were really well developed and easy to use : p
(just wanted to talk about how great those games were : p)

And theres a game I LOVE called Baten Kaitos, it was a big emotional JRPG that I really got into and formed an emotional investment in, it was one of the best in-game stories Ive ever played. But like, it took me forever to get used to the battle system in that game : p

Its all based around cards, which is lame : p I will admit, when you get used to it it does become a fun new way to play a game. But, in the end, Id still rather just have a more traditional battle system based on either turns or a simple real time thing.
To do a special attack, you have to use a certain amount of attacks before hand. But since its a card game, the cards you get are completely random. There is a rise in the chance of getting better cards if you interact with the main character in the right way, but even still, you often have times where you get a bunch of cards that dont help. And its made worse if you dont yet have a good grasp on how the game works. Depending on how big your deck is, you really have to be careful with how many attack cards you have compared to how many defense cards you have, how many healing cards you have and how many special attack cards you have. The one that annoyed me most about this was healing. You CANNOT have too many of them, otherwise youll miss so many chances to really do any damage because your hand is filled with healing cards. So I generally was stuck to like 3 of them in each deck. Which means, you can only heal yourself 3 times before your deck runs out and you have to reshuffle and pull a new hand (I dunno card terminology : p).

And the cards change with time. Like, many of the healing items are food. And much of the food items (but not all meaning youll never be sure which ones to watch out for) rot with time. And if you accidentally use a rotten banana card because you didnt notice in time that it had went bad, it will do damage to your character.
Thats not the worst one though : p Many of the attack cards you have are items like "flame dagger" or whatever. But, apparently because hot things cool down at some point, these cards are temporary, and eventually just become weak attacks in time. Not the ice daggers though : p They stay cold forever, haha : p

The way to make money in that game is unique, and at first its kinda cool but it has issues too. You dont make money from fights. You have to take pictures of monsters and bad guys and sell them to make money. And thats kinda a neat and fun new way to make money in a game. But like, you have to wait for the pictures to develope : p So if you were excited to get that money for that new attack card, too bad, you have to wait for the picture to develop : p I kinda wish it were just an add on to the game, while still making some money from battles : p

Ah yes, the infamous tutorial...
This is probably the one thing I outright dislike about the Tak trilogy. With the exception of the third one, I believe, the first area of the game will make your guy freeze mid-step so Flora or the Dream Juju can tell you to Move the right analog stick until they're in view before they'll let you fucKING MOOOOOVE
also the double jump and glide are supposedly not one and the same, dident yoo now??? <:0c EXCEPT THEY ARE

Ah overbearing tutorials. Reminds me of Mario & Luigi Dream Team, where in the final dungeon, about 35 hours in, you'd still occasionally be getting tutorials for things you could work out yourself.

Okay, please can you post constructively? Seems every one of your posts so far has been barely related to the topic at hand.

Levels where you have to outrun some kind of danger for (almost) the entire level. It's like auto-scrolling, but unlike autoscrolling, which I usually consider fun (except for maybe some extremely hard vertical autoscrollers like in Shovel Knight), having to outrun something like a big scary enemy (NSMB series) or a lava wall (Wario Land 1) makes me feel very uneasy and being hurried in an unpleasant way.

Funny enough, that lava wall in Wario Land 1 was why it took me about ten years to finish said game. Thought it was difficult to dodge the first time, got a bit too worried to finish the level.

As for a few more examples:

That spirit shield mini game in Smash Bros Ultimate. So glad the DLC spirits don't have this silly 'mini game' and just give you the spirit the minute you win.

The Great Plateau barrier in Zelda Breath of the Wild. I love the glider, but the fact you can't find any way of leaving the Plateau without it is annoying, and makes replays slower than they need to be. Fall damage avoidance, wrong warping, stasis launching... nah, until you get that glider, you ain't going nowhere.

Also, this is more of a 'split on' than 'hate', but... Lakitu's behaviour in Mario Kart 8. Being immediately put back on the track when you fall off it/go off road for too long kills the abillity to find interesting shortcuts or out of bounds areas. Imagine if Mario Kart 64 or Mario Kart Wii did this. They'd be nowhere near as popular as they are now.

Back