Microgame length

Glowsquid

Mental midget
Diamond City Leader
(a thread about the gameplay of WarioWare? yeah I'm legit shook too)

WarioWare; Touched! introduced obvious control and presentation gimmicks to the WarioWare formula, but it also made a subtle and important change to the flow of the game. In the first two WarioWare games, every regular microgames had the same beat-per-minute. Orbulon's gimmick was that his games are twice as long, and Fronk's games in Twisted were twice as short. Boss microgames had variable length.

Touched! completely did away with the concept of having a fixed BPM as microgame length is no longer standardized, and they're on average considerably longer than they were in the previous games. To speed things up, the game immediatly ends after the win/loss condition is met after the initial stages. This is the model the subsequent games followed.

And my question is, which model did you prefer? Did you think getting rid of the fixed BPM allowed for a greater variety of games, or on the contrary, that doing so killed the frantic and fun pace of the first two games, and made it harder to get "in the zone"?

• Wow
Reactions: 607
I havent had the chance to play a Warioware game yet, but Id imagine that changing up the rhythm so that not every sequence is exactly the same would be more enjoyable and add more replay value, as well as some added challenge?

But dunno, maybe some people would rather have a more predictable game, where the focus is less on the challenge or rhythm and more just on the other parts of the game, like story and junk. I have no idea : p But every game having the same rhythm doesnt sound as fun.

Does BPM affect rhythm, btw? I mean Id imagine it does, if it has the same amount of beats per minute then Id imagine the timing couldnt change, right?

I like both models just fine, but personally I'm giving preference to the original one.

I always thought that WarioWare is at it's most fun when it completely enters sugar rush mode, so the more rapid pace that the games get served to you in the first installments helps to get there sooner.

I prefer the microgames to be this length/speed:

But seriously, I think I would just about prefer the newer model. If you do well, the games still go by really fast, so it doesn't matter too much.

I like both honestly and I can't say I have a clear preference. The first 2 games had an arcade-like feel in terms of fracticness like the kind of you find in some kinds of Rhythm games. The newer model was also fun in that I think it kept you more on your toes. I don't see why perhaps we can't have both game styles. Perhaps like an inversion of Orbulon having longer microgames like have a certain character or set or something have those sorts of BPM games.

I forgot how much i liked Orbulon's stage in Twisted. Perhaps have Orbulon do those MicroGames again while everything else is like it was in MegaMicroGames.

Hm, that's interesting, I didn't realise they changed the formula like that. The only game I've got is WarioWare, Inc., and I'm not interested in any of the newer ones as they've got Ashley in them. (I could get Twisted, but I don't really enjoy WarioWare that much anyway)

The only game I've got is WarioWare, Inc., and I'm not interested in any of the newer ones as they've got Ashley in them. (I could get Twisted, but I don't really enjoy WarioWare that much anyway)
What a story, 607.

Reactions: 607
Back