My Wario Land pixel art

ShyGuyXXL

Shyster Guyster
Diamond City Insider
After ripping so many sprites recently I've wanted to make some sprites myself again.
So in this thread I'll be posting my WL pixel art when it's done.

I already shared some sprites and animations I made for a Wario Land fangame over here.
So check that out first.

Today I made a "DX" version of the Penkoons. This is how I think they should look in a WL2/3 styled game.
PenkoonDX.gif

I fixed a lot of oddities about the original sprites. Due to the extremely limited amount of tiles that could be loaded on the GB, the original sprites looked pretty bad in some places.
I also smoothed out the helmet to make it clear you can jump on them.
The original design has spikes on the helmet and sharp horns, which would indicate they would hurt you, but no, they don't.
So to stay consistent I made it smooth.
Thing is, they also have the spike poking out at the front, but that ALSO doesn't hurt you. So they should either actually hurt you or the spikes shouldn't pop out until the ball is out too.

As you can see I also added the skull to their shoulderpads and a strap to the beak shield thingy.

I was thinking about reworking more WL enemies that haven't shown up since then.

Here's a comparison between the 2 Double D's:
DD.gif

All the WL2 sprites were squashed to make them fit better and leave more room for more other sprites. Also, his boomerang was made to look more boomerangy.

Here's the gator. I didn't actually change much. The tube would have to be a seperate object if we wanted it to have different colors. Not sure if an actual gameboy game could handle that many tiles, especially since these guys never appear alone.
upload_2017-9-11_22-40-43.png

I did however realign the closed jaw in the biting animation, that one always looked misplaced.

Looking good!

As for the sprite limitations... well it's Wario Land we're talking about. If any Game Boy game could find a way around them, it'd be Wario Land 2 or 3.

Mecha Ridley Bobo? That looks pretty damn sweet. Would be a great bonus boss in a Wario Land 1 or 2 remake!

Either way, it looks good. Maybe it could be used for a second boss battle against Bobo, after his body is destroyed at the end of the first one.
I was thinking... well... This would go into spoiler territory for the fangame. Not sure if I wanna go there yet...

Reactions: 607
Post it in a spoiler tag? That way, those who want to be spoiled can see what you're planning.
But what if I don't want to let you spoil yourself already? :sgrin:

Maybe later. :STongue3:

For now, look at my Guragura DX (btw, getting really sick of these onamonapia x2 names.)
Aka. the mole enemy or whatever.
8317.gif

Thing is, they also have the spike poking out at the front, but that ALSO doesn't hurt you. So they should either actually hurt you or the spikes shouldn't pop out until the ball is out too.

What version of WL are you playing? The spike has always hurt me when I collide with the front-end of a walking Penkoon. Perhaps it was tweaked in the AUS-PAL version.
It's a shame you can't shade their inner 'ribs' red/pink when they pull their stomach balls out. I had a squeamish friend who used to find that detail really gross.

By the way, what about "Robo-Bobo" instead of "Mecha Bobo"?

Last edited:
What version of WL are you playing? The spike has always hurt me when I collide with the front-end of a walking Penkoon. Perhaps it was tweaked in the AUS-PAL version.
Actually... I just tested it and it's ... inconsistent.
2017-09-18_15-56-29.gif
2017-09-18_16-01-02.gif

It seems like after kicking their ball and after getting up from being stunned they don't hurt you, but if they've been walking for a while and have turned around they do. Weird.
Then again this game's programming has always been pretty wonky.

It's a shame you can't shade their inner 'ribs' red/pink when they pull their stomach balls out. I had a squeamish friend who used to find that detail really gross.
Ribs? I always saw those lines as... flesh... folds? ..or something?
From an artistic perspective they are just there to imply the hollow shape of the... belly..hole?
Anyway, here's what it would look like:
upload_2017-9-18_16-44-1.png

By the way, what about "Robo-Bobo" instead of "Mecha Bobo"?
Sure. ^^
Technically I doubt a name even matters since it may not even show up anywhere. In WL1 no boss names showed up either.
...and in WL2 they often had basic names like "the giant snake", "the giant bee", "the ghost" and stuff.
Only Bobo and Cave Master had actual names in-game.

Actually... I just tested it and it's ... inconsistent.
View attachment 5088 View attachment 5089
It seems like after kicking their ball and after getting up from being stunned they don't hurt you, but if they've been walking for a while and have turned around they do. Weird.
Then again this game's programming has always been pretty wonky.

Ribs? I always saw those lines as... flesh... folds? ..or something?
From an artistic perspective they are just there to imply the hollow shape of the... belly..hole?
Anyway, here's what it would look like:
View attachment 5090

Sure. ^^
Technically I doubt a name even matters since it may not even show up anywhere. In WL1 no boss names showed up either.
...and in WL2 they often had basic names like "the giant snake", "the giant bee", "the ghost" and stuff.
Only Bobo and Cave Master had actual names in-game.

Right. The game is full of programming quirks; such as the countless random methods for killing enemies...

1. Leap into water with enemy in hand
2. Climb a ladder with enemy in hand
3. Stick enemy into solid object/wall
4. Perform a little double jump on smaller enemies (usually only works in tight spaces/corridors)
5. Walk into enemy while carrying a key/object/enemy
6. Bounce a baddie off your belly against a wall
7. Throw heavy baddies into walls

And many more methods I can't remember...
It's like R&D1 were originally trying to design Wario's combat/attack range as deep as possible (in very unconventional ways), to contrast with Mario's simple jumping and fireballs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 607
Back