New Wario Land Game Mechanics

Koopaul

Yes. I'm that Koopaul.
So each new Wario Land intruduces some new gameplay mechanic, moves, or goals. In Wario Land Shake It we got shaking enemies and objects, quake slam, motion control aiming, among other things.

In a new Wario Land, what kind of new gameplay mechanic would you like to see?

I came up with the idea that grabbing/throwing and the shoulder charge now use two different buttons. This allows Wario to continue to hold an enemy/object in one hand while charging. When Wario charges while holding something, he holds that object out and rams into enemies with it.

So Wario could hold a bad guy and ram it into another enemy. Or Wario could pick up a spear, and charge forward with that spear using the charge button or throw it with the throw button. If Wario throws the spear into a wall, he can use that spear as a platform to get to higher places.

Wario can also gound pound with objects in his hand too! Pressing down in the air while holding an enemy will cause Wario to pile drive that enemy into the ground.

This combination of classic Wario moves, grabbing, throwing, shoulder charge, and ground pound will allow for new gameplay possibilities.

The spear in the wall idea reminds me of the knife-throwing baddies in the first Wario Land. You could use their knives in the wall as platforms, but the function was never utilised, unfortunately.

Ratsprites.png

Years before Shake Dimension came out, I came up with an idea of Wario being able to pick up two smaller enemies at once (an enemy in each hand) and being able to spin them around violently in either hand, like a really fast wind-up punch, before throwing them like a zig-zag rocket across the room. You could use it to clear your path, but more importantly, carrying two (smaller) enemies in either hand could be incorporated into puzzles somehow.

Since Wario World had recently come out, I wanted to see something similar to the Wild Swing-Ding in a 2D Wario game.

Last edited:
I would like to see on where Wario can attain upgrades to his gloves gloves as a power up so you allows for increased throwing speed when picking up enemies, a wall jump when he grabs walls he can cling or more power, for example those armoured enemies in the shake dimension don't need to be shaken up first from punching the ground or something, well since i don't see them going back to shake dimension that might not be an integral mechanic so maybe that's a glove upgrade too. Of course i think they should be optional but worth your time, I can see the wall jump being good for getting secret treasures.

Well it depends on what kind of game you're looking for. I was thinking of a slighty more advanceed Wario game where the player has more options of what to do and how to solve puzzles in the world.

It would pretty much just be 3 buttons.

A = Jump
B = Dash Attack
X = Throw

That would be enough to open the possibilities of what the player can do with an enemy/object in their hand.

@Koopal, Just make dash and throw the same button like always, the shake dimension was like an NES game with a bit of waggle wiimote and it worked prefectly so 2 buttons.

@Koopal, Just make dash and throw the same button like always, the shake dimension was like an NES game with a bit of waggle wiimote and it worked prefectly so 2 buttons.
Yes but didn't you read my idea where you can either throw an enemy/object or dash with an enemy/object.

Imagine picking up and holding a Spearhead enemy. Now you can either throw him as a projectile or dash forward with him as a battering ram.

This opens up the options of what a player can do when holding an enemy, allowing for more ways to attack and solve puzzles.

I think its important to expand upon old ideas and gameplay for new titles. Even Wario Land 4 added the running headbutt move.

Sorry if i give you guys Sakurai PTSD.
So i'd bring back invincibility, this is because garlic is usually health regens, but i'd rather have garlic serve a different function. Under Wario's hearts there is a green bar ala the health bar in WL4.

When you eat garlic some green is added to it and there are lines in the bar, passing each line gives you a new tier, you can use smaller attacks or save up for a big one, What is this attack you ask? The Wario Waft.

I know i know, you are tired of this bastardized fart joke but i think it proves a useful mechanic. Higher levels damage higher tiers of enemies that can't be hurt otherwise and takes you higher up at a fast rate.

Back