Nintendo treating Wario like dirt

He is one of the most inconsistently handled characters there is, right next to DK.

Mario and the others are upheld to strict guidelines when someone else handles them. But no matter who handles Wario, it's like, yeah just do whatever the fuck you like with him.

Last edited:
But Wario doesn't have 1 single style he can call his own, that's what I like about the series, each game is unique. Maybe they're out of ideas? Dunno, but it really seems like Wario's always at the end of the joke stick. He was kinda created as a joke but if so, well, we love this joke, that's for sure... NINTENDOOOOOO!!!!

I just wish they would treat less like the " gross yellow Mario" and more like how he was established in the WarioLand games.

But Wario doesn't have 1 single style he can call his own, that's what I like about the series, each game is unique. Maybe they're out of ideas? Dunno, but it really seems like Wario's always at the end of the joke stick. He was kinda created as a joke but if so, well, we love this joke, that's for sure... NINTENDOOOOOO!!!!
This could be because of the different teams handling a Wario game each time.

Wario World = Treasure
Master of Disguise = Suzaku
Shake It = Good-Feel
The original team behind Wario Land 1~4 has moved onto WarioWare from that point (All WW games after the first were jointly made with IS)

Needless to say, even Wario's "home team" doesn't have a firm enough grasp on him.

This could be because of the different teams handling a Wario game each time.

Wario World = Treasure
Master of Disguise = Suzaku
Shake It = Good-Feel
The original team behind Wario Land 1~4 has moved onto WarioWare from that point (All WW games after the first were jointly made with IS)

Needless to say, even Wario's "home team" doesn't have a firm enough grasp on him.

Wario Land by the old team had three gameplay styles too. Wario Land 1 and Virtual Boy were Mario style 2D platformers with simple level designs and a hat system. Wario Land 2 and 3 were puzzle platformers with transformation focused gameplay and no way to die. Wario Land 4 (and Shake It) were a sort of hybrid of the two, with health returning along with transformations and the escape sequence thing.

I think WarioWare killed Wario as a whole. I like WarioWare, but I feel like WarioLand is so much more fun. WarioWare eventually took the spotlight, and lead up to the worst game, Game and Wario, which set a bad example for anything Wario.

Usually there is always an WarioWare game and an Wario adventure for each console.
The only exeptions being the Wii U due to poor sales and the 3DS. (Probably because it would have been just as Touched but with better graphics and 3D which most wouldn't use anyway.)

Hopefully we get a new Ware and Land on the Switch.

I personally enjoyed every Wario Game up to now.
WarioWare has probably more Attention because it brought something new to the table while most see WarioLand just as another Sidescroller.

From what i heard Wario Ware have usually more sells than Wario Land so it makes sense that Nintendo supports it more than Land.

For me Wario Character was actually rather consistent and i don't see Nintendo treating him like Dirt at all. Just think about all the merch for example.

Wether WarioWare or Wario Land is better treated, I just want Nintendo to make a new Wario game, a good one. And Nintendo has to face the fact that the Wario series has a considerable fanbase that is desperate for a new game, and wants Wario to be treated with the respect he deserves after being part of the Mario games for 25 years.

We can only hope so. But it's true, if they're gonna ignore Wario's 25th anniversary, you know that there aren't any Wario games for release anytime soon.

They treat him like dirt cuz he doesn't sell. The public at large doesn't want to play as a fat smelly ugly treasure hunters, they want to play as handsome lean treasure hunters, like... uh, Uncharted Man.

This endless cycle is so exhausting, explaining the many underlying reasons to every new member who rocks up. We need a crash-course on Wario lore to direct people to.

Let me clear up one thing...

The folks who created Wario and Wario Land/Super Mario Land were not the same R&D1 members that headed the WarioWare franchise. Goro Abe and Yoshio Sakamoto were the key figures in the WarioWare franchise, but they played no part in Wario's original legacy. Don't confuse Wario's original R&D1 team with the WarioWare team.
The passing of the torch occurred at Wario Land 4, when Sakamoto and Abe were brought on to contribute. It was the end of an era and the dawn of WarioWare.

Back