[Fan Content] Share "This song but it sounds like a Wario stage" type remixes here!

Wow, those new Wahrangements sound good! Gotta like the 1920's-or-so ¨Room 52¨ song. Sounds perfect for a level inspired by Hotel Horror.
@MarioSpore Well m8 the people have spoken. This is like the third separate guy who's said "dayum this sound like Hotel Horror", I'm pretty sure 52nd Street is gonna have to be Hotel Horror at this point knowwhatemsayen

Composed by Festerd_Jester for "HARD PLATFORMER II", some Hard Level on LBP2 that I watched my brother and Charger play through. This song was so dope when I heard it that I recorded audio of it the following day (yesterday morning) through SC's shitty fuckin' recorder and spent a good several hours trying to decode everything despite the shitty mic quality. My initial intention was to have it replace Hurry Up!!, but at MarioSpore's suggestion I realized that yeah, this song fits Golden Diva more. That brief lull with the EP makes me think of her swaying motions especially.

I finally did what I said I was going to do, and fixed the vocals, tried to get as close as possible to John's cadence and pitch bending, I think I did rather well. I ALSO fixed the Swing, so instead of playing the swing notes on the 4th sixteenths (2 blocks from the next measure as I would know it), they now play about 2 and 1/2 blocks from the next measure, give or take depending on the point in the song.

As a clever way of getting around Wario Land 4's limited simultaneous instrument capacity (that rhythm guitar is LAYERED my negro), I made a separate project file dedicated to splitting the rhythm guitar into its individual components-- on average, every chord sees about 6 notes played at once (due to some number of harmonics heard irl, I'd imagine, or possibly because, since George wasn't particularly busy outside of some pre-recorded guitar solos, he played as a second rhythm guitar-- it'd certainly explain why there was more than 3 notes playing on one channel, but anyway). I split the rhythm guitar(s?) into six separate channels, then spent the next little while arranging them like a good puppet master.

What I ended up going with was a compromise between Direct and Indirect Sounds to make sure that as many of the chords' notes were retained as possible. The highest and lowest layers were made indirect sounds, a 12.5% pulse and 50% pulse, respectively. The fourth, fifth, and third layers (in terms of bottom to top) were made indirect sounds.
The Fourth and Fifth layers were placed in one channel together (aptly named "4th 'n 5th"), set to [63,2] Hotel Horror Strings, the original sound that all these chords'd been set to, and because I'm such a Clever Trevor, I set the Third layer to [30,2] Arabian Nights BG (similar to [63,2], this instrument's sample is a "double sample", so to speak-- it plays whatever note, but ALSO that same note one octave higher), and then I moved this layer one octave lower than it technically should've been, so as to give off the illusion that more notes were being played than there actually were. This is because a given chord for IOS's Rhythm Guitars will vary between having 2-3 iterations of the same note (usually D#/Eb) but on different octaves.
After all that was done, I updated the chords' color-coded "echo notes" to have the proper swing, used the scroll wheel in conjunction with the shift key to give it that strum effect, changed the fine pitch for the Highest to be -6 cents, the Third to be +3 cents, and First to be +3 cents. The end result was something fabulous, and a really sneaky marvel if I do say so myself. PLUS, because of these techniques being employed, you'd have to be really paying attention to know when the Second layer was even missing.

also it's in the wrong key lol

I was looking for a MIDI of Redbone to fuck with like a childish gambino, but I found this instead. At first I was bent because there wasn't a MIDI for Redbone the sang, but this ended up being a good-ass tune anyhow. For some reason the sequencer this person used is godly, because despite only using GM it STILL gave an edit event for the Bank Select (and on top of that FL didn't butcher its pitch-bend upon importing, which is always impressive, but the highest it ever veers is 200 cents, so I'm not holding my breath). It ONLY had the absolutely necessary Channel Events: bank, preset, panning, volume. THAT'S IT. Simply godlike compared to FL with its entire platoon of extraneous redundant channel events. It also had Effect #91, which SynthFont doesn't actually use, but I'm assuming is Reverb, plus Chorus level.

I need to find this editor.
Think Krabs, maybe somethin' SynthFont said w'll giv' ya some kinda clue!

edit: if you recognize the specific order of these first 8 events (give or take the 6th/7th, depending on the channel) as belonging to a certain sequencer, let me know which

1556127508176-png.10083

Attachments

• Come WAAnd Get Your Loving.mp3
    3.4 MB · Views: 398
  • 1556127508176.png
    1556127508176.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 617
Last edited:

Initially, when I first created it, up until solidifying the string chords I was seeing TTYD's Moon Base, but as the project started to resemble its final form this mental projection became more reminiscent of Aquatic Base from Sonic '06, and it inspired me on some subconscious level to try to keep that vibe going. I think I did pretty well. Going with the flow when composing is kind of nice, I think, as long as you have some sort of discipline in place. For me, it was having things be ever so slightly unorthodox, because fuck making generic tunes, homes. That Bass Organ is the best example of this as far as the song goes-- there were moments where I went in there specifically to make it less generic or homogeneous when compared to the other patterns of its kind. It's a bit weird-looking on a Piano Roll but it sounds rather lovely and chill, can't wait to use it as backing music for schoolwork. Fittingly enough, because reading this book as part of school was what inspired me to start making something from scratch. That EP riff was actually rather quick to come to me, but then I technically already HAVE made Creativity a Habit, and especially because I use it as a means of procrastinating.

okay, so i was watching A Hard Day's Night illegally last night and stumbled across this song.
I thought it would make for a perfect Monsoon Jungle.

Also attaching the version I had before going on YouTube to cross-reference and realizing that the MIDI creator'd been sneaky by raising everything up by the seventh. And also I had to fix the solo. Something that I found to be of note was, in the movie Ringo used the 'rim hit' technique (which I would know by C#3), whereas the YT remaster uses Claves.

Attachments

• And I Love-a Her.mp3
    3.3 MB · Views: 378
  • And I Love Her v1.mp3
    3 MB · Views: 374
Is this song a cover?
Yes.
If so, what song did you cover?
It's called "... Heh".
And what game/level is this soundfont from?
Wario Land 4, through and through, although I technically cheated by using Fruity Reverb.
Please let me know, I'm really curious.
It's a composition that was created for the Underfell fangame by ietsu, whose involvement with the OST has ended, actually-- the developer said that they parted on good terms, it was just that his compositions were fare more attuned for a classic RPG (and when I read that, it triggered memories of Heh being the only song I could really dig for that iteration of the OST). They've got a new person for the music now, and they're supposedly doing rearrangements for a lot of ietsu's compositions to fit the new style. Since Heh stands out from the rest of those initial tracks as being a fuckin' toe-tapper, though (and frankly I wish I'd listened to one of the other tracks first because it raised my expectations) I imagine that it'll probably-- well, it'll prolly still be remixed, realistically, but I hope they still use that master.

Last edited:
I've finally come to a conclusion as to whether a song should be designated as a Waamix or a Waarangement.

Waamixes: songs that are essentially the exact same as the original, but feature Wario soundfont(s). The waamix designation still applies to songs that more-or-less match the source material, even if the given MIDI has been heavily edited or doctored.*
Waarangements: songs that use the Wario soundfonts, but also sound sufficiently different from the source material: in the case of tracks that used a pre-existing MIDI, the song is considered the source material, not the .mid. Examples of waarangements include "Bad (Mario)", "Doodlecture (WL4II Doodle Woods)", "Fury Rock (WL4II Fiery Cavern)", and so on.
To best exemplify this distinction, compare "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Wa" with WL4II's Toy Block Tower, aka "Ob-la-di Obelisk".
'Ob-la-wa' is a waamix, because it features WL4's instruments, and changes the drums a bit, but is functionally the same as the original song.
'Obelisk' on the other hand is a waarangement, because its sound is wholly different to that of the original, seeing the addition of swing, parts of the original TBT's drums, etc.

* Examples of this rule would include "I'm Only Sleeping in the Row", which sports a thoroughly repaired melody line and a split-up rhythm section, but only because the melody line was highly inaccurate, and WL4 can't handle so many direct voices as the rhythm section was asking for.

Proposed this song as a possible Toxic Landfill (the other contender being Ace of Spades).
Original MIDI by Teck, who if memory serves also did those DKC2 MIDIs, by coincidence.

Attachments

• New Junk Landfill.mp3
    2.1 MB · Views: 359
Last edited:
Back