[Fan Content] Share "This song but it sounds like a Wario stage" type remixes here!

What's the name of that technique you used for pitching those orchestra hits that way? I hear this all the time in dance and techno songs (sometimes also with vocals) but never knew what it's called.
Do you mean where the notes cut off slightly early? That's me setting the release time to 0, and making the note times shorter.
Alternatively, you could be talking under the assumption the Hit isn't all one sample (and technically you'd be right). I used the Impact Hit from Twisted for this track, but I also layered it with the WL4 brass and the Daow.
If you mean something else, I'll need a time stamp.
Nice to see you're still active BTW. :oldwahhead:
Thank you very much-eh! I can't really see myself up and leaving the ol' shire. also, I just passed 1000 SoundCloud followers :-000

Do you mean where the notes cut off slightly early? That's me setting the release time to 0, and making the note times shorter.
Alternatively, you could be talking under the assumption the Hit isn't all one sample (and technically you'd be right). I used the Impact Hit from Twisted for this track, but I also layered it with the WL4 brass and the Daow.
If you mean something else, I'll need a time stamp.

Thank you very much-eh! I can't really see myself up and leaving the ol' shire. also, I just passed 1000 SoundCloud followers :-000

I accidentally mistook this for another effect, so never mind.

But anyway, about the Hit, can you tell me if those short, cut-off stabs you hear in

from 0:15 onward employ the same technique? Because it reminded me a bit of this.

I accidentally mistook this for another effect, so never mind.

But anyway, about the Hit, can you tell me if those short, cut-off stabs you hear in

from 0:15 onward employ the same technique? Because it reminded me a bit of this.

Yes, that's the Hit. Be it an "Impact" hit, "Orchestra" hit, or etc., they're standalone samples of a bunch of instruments playing the same note (give or take an octave).

My assumption is the original design intent was to bring down the # of voices the musician would be using-- for any number of reasons: maybe there was a limit (like with the SNES sampler), or it was to save CPU, or simply because adding in the same note in a bunch of different parts would be a pain anyway.
The way it's often chosen for use by musicians is usually just because it has a unique sound, though-- a motive no different from why you might choose an Oboe over a Clarinet.
Personally, I don't really care to use it that much, partly because it wouldn't fit in a lot of what I make or want to make.

Impact" hit
What's an "impact hit"? I've only ever heard of the orch hit / stab / whatever you name it.

maybe there was a limit
Seems the most likely reason to me, given that the SNES was still a 16-bit console after all, and that Super Mario World was one of its earliest titles.
Fun fact: did you know that the sound Yoshi makes when mounting him in SMW is actually a sped-up orchestra hit?

Personally, I don't really care to use it that much, partly because it wouldn't fit in a lot of what I make or want to make.
To me, it's one of my favourite of the more common sample sounds, right after the pizzicato strings and "action movie drums" we've discussed before. The best examples of the Hit done perfectly right are IMO Domino Dancing from The Pet Shop Boys and A Thousand Words by Savage Garden, the latter having an entire melody created out of them, something rather bold but still perfectly fitting. (Though this is by no means unique; the Das Boot techno remix by U-96, which is prolly one of the best remixes of a movie theme ever, is filled to the brim with this use.)

One more question regarding the Hit:

Are the hits at the start of this Kirby song of the famous [ORCH2] variety?

What's an "impact hit"? I've only ever heard of the orch hit / stab / whatever you name it.
To give a specific example, "Impact Hit" is the hit heard in Death by Glamour. Technically it's just an Orch Hit, but it has a particular sound that signifies it

Seems the most likely reason to me, given that the SNES was still a 16-bit console after all, and that Super Mario World was one of its earliest titles.
Fun fact: did you know that the sound Yoshi makes when mounting him in SMW is actually a sped-up orchestra hit?
yes, I did

To me, it's one of my favourite of the more common sample sounds, right after the pizzicato strings which sample, though and "action movie drums" ah yes, classic synth toms we've discussed before. The best examples of the Hit done perfectly right are IMO Domino Dancing from The Pet Shop Boys and A Thousand Words by Savage Garden, the latter having an entire melody created out of them, something rather bold but still perfectly fitting. (Though this is by no means unique; the Das Boot techno remix by U-96, which is prolly one of the best remixes of a movie theme ever, is filled to the brim with this use.)

One more question regarding the Hit:

Are the hits at the start of this Kirby song of the famous [ORCH2] variety?

No. I looked into it; after speeding up a recording I took, I can confirm, [ORCH2] is the Turtles in Time hit.
The Kirby song's hit seems to be the same one used for Sigma Stage Select in Mega Man X. .....not that I could tell you the name of the sample.

I think Domino Dancing's hit may be from the same family, but I don't think they're the same sample. DD's hit I believe is the same as Mother 3's, though.

Update: A Thousand Words uses the Impact Hit.

Last edited:
which sample, though

Not any particular sample, just the sound of them in general. It's a great sound when applied well, and as with the Hit, it's a sample which originates in classical music but has a much wider range of potential use.
My favourtie use in video game music:

Aside from the personal nostalgic value, I've always appreciated this repetitive yet beautiful track in all its simplicity. There's something with those pizzicatos combined with that simple square wave melody which makes it sound so freaking good.

Some renditions of Inside the Castle Walls (Peach's Castle theme from SM64) also employ this technique well.

ah yes, classic synth toms

Not exactly; what I meant is a drum that sounds in between a snare drum and a non-snared one, and intermediate between a synth drum and a regular one. With synth tom I assume you mean those drums that are not only purely synth but are meant to sound artificial too. These "Rickroll Drums" as I sometimes call them because well, I think you know why, are of a much different, less seriously sounding intonation and more widespread too.

By the way, do you know what in the world this sound is called? [1:27] I don't know of any other song that uses it, despite it sounding so heavenly.
It sounds a bit like one of those "crystal" voices that come as a staple with many cheap keyboards, but it also sounds much different from it.

This is one of those songs that I'm pretty sure most people have heard at least once but hardly anyone knows the title of.
80's synthpop is bloody awesome, much better than modern uses of synth in pop songs.

Not any particular sample, just the sound of them in general. It's a great sound when applied well, and as with the Hit, it's a sample which originates in classical music but has a much wider range of potential use.
My favourite use in video game music:

Aside from the personal nostalgic value, I've always appreciated this repetitive yet beautiful track in all its simplicity. There's something with those pizzicatos combined with that simple square wave melody which makes it sound so freaking good.

Some renditions of Inside the Castle Walls (Peach's Castle theme from SM64) also employ this technique well.

Not exactly; what I meant is a drum that sounds in between a snare drum and a non-snared one, and intermediate between a synth drum and a regular one. With synth tom I assume you mean those drums that are not only purely synth but are meant to sound artificial too. These "Rickroll Drums" as I sometimes call them because well, I think you know why, are of a much different, less seriously sounding intonation and more widespread too.

well, I (think I) know what you mean by action movie drums. I pictured the endgame confrontation from Dirty Harry IV, where dude's up on the rollercoaster track.
By the way, do you know what in the world this sound is called? [1:27] I don't know of any other song that uses it, despite it sounding so heavenly.
It sounds a bit like one of those "crystal" voices that come as a staple with many cheap keyboards, but it also sounds much different from it.

This is one of those songs that I'm pretty sure most people have heard at least once but hardly anyone knows the title of.
80's synthpop is bloody awesome, much better than modern uses of synth in pop songs.

It sounds to me like someone's using an FM synthesizer to simulate the sound of a vibraphone. While it isn't exact, Mega Man X has a patch that's quite similar. And, as I suspected, the "Namco Classic Collection" soundfont has two patches that sound very similar, "Bell 1" and "Bell 2" (more so the latter), though they're certainly not exact. A lot of what gives your mallet synth that sound are the overtones on the initial attack and the reverb settings.

The mp3 export seems to be cocked up, so ignore that buzzing

Attachments

• Bell 2.mp3
    274.6 KB
I pictured the endgame confrontation from Dirty Harry IV, where dude's up on the rollercoaster track.

That's indeed what I meant.

It sounds to me like someone's using an FM synthesizer to simulate the sound of a vibraphone. While it isn't exact, Mega Man X has a patch that's quite similar. And, as I suspected, the "Namco Classic Collection" soundfont has two patches that sound very similar, "Bell 1" and "Bell 2" (more so the latter), though they're certainly not exact. A lot of what gives your mallet synth that sound are the overtones on the initial attack and the reverb settings.

Hmm Hmm: Now that you say it, it does indeed sound like a vibraphone. I already thought it must've been based on a metallophone of some sorts (I initially thought of a celeste; a vibraphone-like instrument with keys), but I could put my finger behind it. Glad you figured it out.

This one sounds like a sampled Wario World song plus the bossfight is something you'd see in Mirror Mansion:

Skip to 0:47

Not a sample, because that would involve directly using a clip from one of World's songs, but that's definitely the main musical motif for World. Its purest form is found in Greenhorn Ruins, but it's also in plenty of other tunes, including the Mean Emcee's boss theme. It is possible that inspiration was taken there.

Back