The Mega Man series

warelander

Some random guy online
Kinda suprised it took me this long to make this thread, but yeah Mega Man, Rockman, the Blue Bomber, a videogame icon that has a spawned 7 subseries, an downright absurd amount of games and tons of other media ranging from comics, an anime and so on, the point is this series is huge and has been around for almost three decades.

My first exposure to the Blue Bomber was Mega Man 8, the first PSX game I have ever played, I loved the game to death and still think it holds up well, despite being a bit of an oddball compared to the other classic titles. After that I jumped right into the first Mega Man X and Marvel VS Capcom (where I still main Mega Man and Roll) and have been following the franchise ever since, with the sole exeption being the Battle Network continuity, since I was pretty sceptical about the alternate continuity RPG thing, I did however finally give the first game a shot via the Wii U’s VC and liked it quite a bit, so needless to say I’m very much looking forward now to delve deeper into the Battle Network series and to give the Star Force series a shot!

My favorite series would be the Zero series, not only do I think that it really refines the X series‘ gameplay , but it also has by far the strongest overarching story in all of Mega Man as far as I’m concerned, the fact that it actually has a conclusion certainly helps.

I’m very curious to hear if anyone else here has experiences with the Blue Bomber, until then thougth rock out:

I started with the Archie comics. I love those comics, and I decided to check out the games as a result.

My first game was technically Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge via the 3DS eShop...not the best starting point.

Later, I played Mega Man: Powered Up on the PSP. Quite frankly, it was an amazing experience, and motivated to to check it out further. So I got the Mega Man Anniversary and X collections. I had much fun with those.

Then I decided to check out more. I had fun with darnnear all of the games I've played. I have to agree that the Zero series is my favorite, with the best story and gameplay.

Funny thing is, I checked out some other Mega Man comics. The Dreamwave series is alright, though not really Mega Man. Mega Man Megamix is amazing, haven't gotten around to reading NT Warrior, and the Mega Man comics from Brazil...the less said about them, the better.

Ah, it’s always good to see some Powered Up appreciation around, seriously it and Maverick Hunter X are such great remakes that unfortunatly were doomed to failure because they were released on a system where most of the installbase didn’t care for plattformers.

Capcom just seriously needs to re release these two games on the 3DS and try to revive them as series‘, because I really loved the visual overhaul, more fleshed out storys (particulary in MHX’s case) and character personalitys, as well as being able to play as the Robot Masters, Proto Man, Roll and Vile and would have loved to see other games in both series‘ get the same treatment,

I've just seen the game being played and played little samples of it at a friend's house (NES of course) and it was fairly hard because I hardly knew much about the game's physics however I did get to Crash Man's room before I died and I may have beat Flash Man or whatever that guy was who could stop time and that was a fun experience. I also seen a few videos of the X series lore as well as heard all of Zero's themes after seeing his appearance as a Mii Costume and the ZX games look/sounds really interesting as far as action/story goes. I also played a flash game that used a battle style similar to Battle Network and that similar DS series. I may have enjoyed them more than playing the DS Pokemon games (because I had 3 from Gen 4). The music in all the Megaman games as well as fanwork music is exceptional (like Protoman's theme).

But I first heard about him from Nintendo Power.

I finally got to play this:
latest

''Mega Man & Bass Challlenger from the future'' released on the Wonderswan only in Japan, I was always curious about this game since it is the only classic MM plattformer I never got to play (not counting the disowned DOS games) and I have to say for such an obscure game it's actually pretty alright.

One thing I was initially very worried about were the controls, just watching the game off videos makes it look like they would be very loose and imprecise, thankfully this isn't the case, the game controls perfectly fine, it's also interesting to note that Bass' dash is performed the same way as Mega Man's slide (down+jump), so Mega Man 10 wasn't the first game to do that, contrary to popular believe.

Speaking of Bass he and Mega Man have the exact same abilitys that they had in the original ''& Bass'', despite that this is the first time that I prefer to play as Mega Man over Bass, mainly because the plattforming here is really tame and Bass' firing rate isn't as fast as it is in other games, which combined with his buster being weaker in general (without the upgrade from the shop) can make some situations a bit annoying, I still enjoy playing as him, but he isn't as amazing here as he is in & Bass or MM 10 unfortunatly.

The Shop is also back and most of the items from the first & Bass are back as well, along with some new ones like Tango from Mega Man 5 on Game Boy, the one issue that comes with it thought is that a lot of items are pretty expensive, so unless you go out of your way to grind you are not getting many of them given that the game only has 9 stages, not that it really matters since this is by far the easiest MM game I have ever played, but if you want to experiment with items you will need to grind.

The stages are all really tame, there are a few places where you need to be prepared for certain enemy placements and the one stage where the game uses the Wonderswan's gimmick of tilting your system vertically is very spike happy, for the most part thought it's very basic stuff, occasionally there are some unique ideas like Marioesque springs and every stage has a miniboss (including one that's obviously based on a Mega Man X miniboss), but overall it's all really basic. One thing to note is that neither the player nor the enemys are invincible during the transitions between screens for some reason, meaning that you can either be knocked back to the previous screen at times or take a potshot at enemies and even bosses, the latter of which had me laughing out loud when I found out about it.

I find most of the special weapons outside of the fire one that also goes up too impractical in stages and the weapon energy doesn't refill between stages and while the bosses have some pretty interesting strategys (Komuso Man in particular stands out), most of them go down in no time.I will say thought that I really enjoy the final battle against Rockman Shadow (a super prototype of Quint from Game Boy 2 and 5), especially with just the Mega Buster, depending on how much health he has he will either jump around while shooting and sliding, use Quint's signature Sakugarne or use a sword to attack you with. While it's still not a very hard battle, it does manage to be suprisingly climactic and fun, in fact I would go as far as to say that this is one of my favorite bosses in all of classic Mega Man.

I can't say much about the graphics since I don't know anything about the Wonderswan's visual horsepower, but the music is pretty nice, it's all songs from the first & Bass, but now in 8-Bit and I think it works well.

Overall this game is nothing groundbreaking, but I do like how it mixes the main and Game Boy series' together, I love the final boss and while the game is mostly very basic and easy it doesn't mean that it's not enjoyable, it's just nothing spectacular, I still recommend it to any fan of the Blue Bomber, just to experience the elements that ARE noteworthy and special.

Last edited:
Mega Man Legacy Collection is out now. Me? Bought it to support the franchise.

Some say the emulations of the first six games are much more accurate than the Anniversary Collection. Some would say they're too accurate.

Me? I think it's neat in its own way, with the added mission mode and all, but I still prefer the Anniversary Collection, warts and all. Still, I'm glad PS4 and Xbone owners get to experience these games. :)

My first was the Anniversary Collection. I knew about the games before that, and I figured that the best way to experience them was to get all of them on a system I'm well familiar with, the GameCube. Took a while to get used to the B=Jump and A=Shoot controls, but it's a really enjoyable experience all around. It's hard to not love this series.

I always had a soft spot for Mega Man 2 on Game Boy, even with the problems it has I always enjoyed it's atmosphere, which is pretty different and strange in ways no other MM ever replicated (especially the final level), in addition to that I always felt that Quint who originated in that game is in desperate need for more appearences that capitalise on his potential, so needless to say this fangame titled Quint's Revenge, which was released back in june of this year quickly cought my attention and now I finally got a chance to play it and I ended up really liking it!

The game's main distinction is the dash ability, which takes some time to get used to, but makes for a really fast paced experience if used well, here is Metal Man's level, which also shows the Sakugarne in action:

You can also duck in this game, which might sound odd, but X5 and X6 trained me to use ducking in Mega Man games, so it felt perfectly natural for me.

The game initially started as a remake of MM2GB and it shows to some extend, since it still uses the same Robot Masters, NES styled remixes of it's soundtrack, as well as the final level and boss (not counting the final phase) which are heavily improved from the original game, thought for me as someone that liked the original game these resemplances are a big plus.

Some of the special weapons got reworked and they are all useful, thought I would recommend experimenting with them before figthing the boss, I got myself killed because I just expected that Top Man's weapon still workes the same way (thought it being renamed into "Spinning Top" should have already been an indication).

There are a lot of suprises with level gimmicks, boss patterns and the Wily castle, but I wouldn't want to spoil them for those that are interested in playing the game, it's about as long as the first Mega Man, give or take 10-20 minutes, here is a link for those that are interested:

http://sprites-inc.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=1155

Last edited:
Mighty No. 9 seems like one of those things where the real game is watching the trainwreck unfold.

i hope nobody here backed that.

Sorry. I did...and even thought I only backed five bucks, I'm starting to regret it.

I feel like I have to play it because I backed it. Which is why I haven't backed many other Kickstarters, not even Yooka-Laylee; if it sucks, I won't feel obligated to play it.

All I can say is, after all the bad publicity, the game's gonna have to be damn amazing in order for a chance at success in the market.

Isn't Inafune banking on Mighty No. 9 being a mega huge hit that will spawn a multimedia franchise. What's gotten into you Inafune

I've seen people count their chickens before they hatch. Myself included, even.

If there's one thing I learned, it's that it rarely, if ever, works out as hoped.

Honestly I was skeptical as soon as I saw Beck. I mean I know this is something that is overlooked but for these sort of things the character design is important. Beck just looks overly complicated and doesn't really have any sort of charm that would make him a strong mascot of a huge series as Inafune hopes for like Mega Man does. I like the design for Call that was picked but the rest of the character designs don't really do it for me. As for the gameplay, as much as I love platformers in this day and age pure 2D platformers can't really have that sort of success that Inafune is seeking out. Perhaps the massive amounts of money pulled into the Kickstarter got to him? Maybe fans got a bit too excited due to how poorly Capcom has been managing Mega Man? This is really a mess of a situation.

Is it bad that I want MM11 to be more like MM8 or a jump to 3D...? I'm probably the only one who thinks 8 is their favorite of the Classic Franchise at least. 9 and 10 aren't bad but the removal of the Charge shot and Slide still annoyed me and it went back to rather unforgiving difficultly.

Honestly, I'd be content to just have it function more like a 4-8 era game in general. I don't really care what the graphics style is (although I feel like aesthetically, my favorite has to be 7), as long as it feels like a Mega Man game, and gives you all the options (charge, slide, Rush, etc.) that you've grown accustomed to throughout the series.

Back