The Wii Appreciation Thread

MonaWare

do wa ditty
Diamond City Insider
Alot of people hate on the Wii. Mostly people who didnt have one, but even some people who did own a Wii hate on it. I actually remember being skeptical about it when I first heard about it too, actually : p But I bought one, and I absolutely loved the console. In fact its one of my all time favorite consoles, by far my favorite of the seventh generation.

The Wii had many games that I really liked and still play. I have probly spent more time playing Wii than any other console. While I cant pick a top favorite console, the Wii is a close contender : p

I had a ton of games I really liked for it, but here are my top five, not in order-

Arc Rise Fantasia-

RPJE7U.png

A traditional JRPG with a unique twist on the battle system, where the focus is more on linking together your party members attacks over having one strong character.
Much of the game was done by the same people who worked for Tales of Symphonia. The script writer, the battle system designers, and you can definitely see the impact they had on the game, as it feels almost exactly like a Tales of Game : p

Shiren the Wanderer-

RFSEEB.png

Its totally a basic mystery dungeon kinda dungeon crawler, so its nothing new by a long shot : p But the characters, story and overall design of the game really hit me. I had a ton of fun with this game, and played it about five hours a day on average for about a month : p I remember when I beat the final boss of the game, I was sad that it was going to end, but luckily there is still plenty to do after you beat the game, which was a really great surprise : p I really liked this game a bunch, its definitely a favorite game of mine.

Harvest Moon: Animal Parade-

latest

Definitely my favorite HM game : p There is so much to do in this game, I cant remember how many hours I spent roaming caves and dungeons trying to find ore and jewels just to make jewelry : p You really feel like you live a fantasy life with this game, the town design is way pretty, and everything feels so cute and wholesome. Its a really nice game that I totally got lost in, and is definitely one of my all time favorite games : p
I also think its the first HM game where you can buy more land and increase your farm, which was way cool. I bought a plot of land next to my farm and made an orchard, was way cool : p

Rune Factory Frontier-

Rune_Factory_Frontier_Coverart.png

I bought this game merely cuz I thought the cover was pretty : p
I looked through the booklet on my way home that night after buying it, and realized it was a fusion of two of my favorite kind of games, Harvest Moon farming sim and dungeon crawling action adventure rpg : p Haha I have never been more excited about a game than I was with RF Frontier : p
Its definitely awesome, while not having much diversity with the battle system, it still feels fun to wildy swing your sword back and forth at baddies : p The characters are great and memorable, the art style is way awesome, and the music is charming. Its the perfect game to live a fantasy life in, and I had a ton of fun with it.

Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny-

SO3EE9.png

An improvment over frontier, the battle system allows you to perform special attacks, jumping attacks, mid air special attacks, magic attacks, and has a more diverse magic system. I loved the town design in the game, its set on an island surrounded by the sea. Everything is pretty, and this game has some of my all time favorite characters ever, so the cast is way great and memorable.
The dungeons can feel a bit more repetitive compared to Frontier, as they are pretty much designed the same way but are different colors based on their element (fire temple being red, water temple being blue, ect). But there are more places to go in ToD, exploring the ocean is a major part of the game, and there are tons of islands and sunken ships to explore. The farming takes a back seat, however. I did not like this, as I feel that farming is a MAJOR component of Rune Factory, as the title is literally "A Fantasy Harvest Moon". I think that brings the game down a bit. But otherwise its a great game worth playing.

Alot of people bash on the Wii controller, and admittingly I thought it was icky when I first saw it too : p But, after actually playing the Wii, its a favorite of mine just because I like being able to lazily lay my hands across my lap and not have to keep them together on a controller : p I actually really like the wiimote : p

My biggest complaint about the Wii is that its super ugly. I mean we had the N64, which came in different colors and had a cool curvy design. Then we had the Gamecube, which had a really neat modern cube shape, and came in three different colors. But the Wii was just a white brick, I was really dissapointed by that. I think Nintendo should have kept their neat console designs, it gave the consoles charm.

Did you love the Wii? What are some of your favorite games? What did you like/not like about the Wii?

I liked Okami, but I could never beat it : p I always would end up forgetting what I was doing and why : /

The game was way pretty though, and I loved the music. I also thought that leveling up by doing good deeds was like the coolest thing ever : p

Muramasa the demon blade is also a really neat gem on this system. You basically go through various levels much like a platformer or sidescroller beating up evil youkai's along the way it's incredibly fun.

@MonaWare
Okami takes a lot of inspiration from Japanese folklore and Shintoism, the atmosphere and artstyle that resembles Ukiyo-e which is traditional Japanese art. Gameplay was it was pretty much like a Zelda title so maybe having to figure out puzzles as well as backtracking is what made you forget what you might have been doing at the moment. Definitely recommend you try it out again it is one of my favorite games for the Wii.

The Sky Crawlers Innocent Aces is the only Wii exclusive (that I down't own) I'm truly interested in but I can,t find it for as cheap as I'd like.

@Metal I loved Muramasa! Its probly my favorite action game on the Wii : p I loved the opening scene for the main menu when you start the game, I love the fish in the pond with the reflection of the moon into the menu screen was way awesome : p The game was way awesome, I loved the music more than anything, in fact there was one song I liked most, it played in a few certain areas of the overworld. I should try to find it : p

@Glowsquid Are there any Wii games you really liked?

Oh I wanted to try that Donkey Kong game, yeah. I was a big DK fan as a kid so Id probly like it : p Will try to remember to get that one : p

I'm real pissed they got rid of NIC in exchange for NN. I can't play MK Wii even if i put it in my Wii u, which emulates the wii, apparently that includes the internet connection? But no i gotta get this message saying "We're done, thanks for years of support now F*CK OFF". Its so annoying having to buy MK8 because MK Wii lost its internet capabilities. Buncha greedy dudes i say. Same goes for DS and 3DS. i got the console but the games still won't do it. Oh everything BUT the Wii shop channel coincidentally works? Hmmmm i wonder. I might as well buy a friggin wii mini for all that. reasons to miss the 7th gen.

Last edited:
Punch Out Wii was reason enough for me to not regret getting one. While the memories associated with it are mostly showing off Wii Sports at parties and anticipating Super Paper Mario, I do remember having fun with the system. It was before I'd discovered emulators so the Virtual Console sure added some use.

With the Wii, Nintendo showed us that you don't need to renew the hardware that much to make a new console. Basically, sometimes less is more, and the simple added gimmik made the Wii one of the most recognised consoles today.
What I mean by "renew the hardware" is that the Wii was basically a faster processing GameCube with new controllers.
And even though I point the fact that the Wii has a lot of poorly made and gimmicky titles, they also brought new classics, like Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Wario Land Shake It, Metroid Prime 3, Punch-Out, Zelda Skyward Sword and even Mario Kart Wii and Smash Bros Brawl.

Some of those titles are not the best of their francise, but they are all very memorable games, not counting other gems the library holds.
In all due respect, the Nintendo Wii gave us all a good time, and for me, it brought my familly together again, like back when we used to play SNES and Gameboy. I remember my mom and my dad struggling in WarioWare Smooth Moves, or when my dad accidentally pressed the B button to go backwards in Mario Kart Wii, at the starting line, and was STILL able to end the race first (with DK)!!

And even if the Wii was always considered the black sheep at the time, due to it's low quality graphics, Nintendo once again made us see how gaming is supposed to be fun, and not always about visuals. Although, they also showed how beautiful games can be on the console, by showing the wonderful quality of Mario Galaxy.

My personal favorite generation is the GBA and the GameCube, although I started with the Gameboy and SNES, but I have to admit, the Wii was definitely a huge part of my gaming life, leaving me with fun and warm memories.

Thank you, Nintendo. Thank you Mr. Iwata.

I'm real pissed they got rid of NIC in exchange for NN. I can't play MK Wii even if i put it in my Wii u, which emulates the wii, apparently that includes the internet connection? But no i gotta get this message saying "We're done, thanks for years of support now F*CK OFF". Its so annoying having to buy MK8 because MK Wii lost its internet capabilities. Buncha greedy dudes i say. Same goes for DS and 3DS. i got the console but the games still won't do it. Oh everything BUT the Wii shop channel coincidentally works? Hmmmm i wonder. I might as well buy a friggin wii mini for all that. reasons to miss the 7th gen.
To be fair, most online wii games used Gamespy, in which Gamespy stopped its services in May 2014.

There wasn't much of a choice.
It isn't like Nintendo felt "Hm, we want people to play on Wii U, let's cut online services on Wii." They were relying on a service that disappeared, and then couldn't really do much about it. Sure, they could've set up an entire new infrastructure, but I don't blame them for not bothering.
This shouldn't happen to the Wii U however, as I think Nintendo's relying on their own services more now.

Also, can't you still play Mario Kart Wii online on Wiimmfi?

Back