The Yoshi Thread

TB100

What you see is what you get, just a guy...
Now everyone has their favorite Mario character, whatever it's the big greedy fatso himself, Green Mario, or Bowser, everyone has their favorite, well my favorite Mario character (Besides Mario.) is Mario's best friend, Yoshi.
YoshiMarioParty9.png

Now when i first saw Yoshi, i didn't really care too much for him, i just saw him as a typical Mario character, but then i played these little gem.
SMW2.jpg

And everything about him changed for me. the fact that he along with his clan were willing to go through so much shit and trouble just to get a couple of babies to their parents is very damn impressive if i say so myself. and since then, i delved into the other Yoshi games. (Except for Yoshi's Story.) and while they are not as good as Yoshi's Island, (Especially New Island.) it still really made me love the dino. and since then, I've been rooting for him to be a playable character in the Super Mario games. (Not as a mount.) alongside Wario, and now he's generally my main in MK besides Mario. Seriously his loyality and his upbeat attitude tends to really makes me smile for some reason and the fact that he can brighten up everyone's day and still be a complete badass at the same time really makes me admire him a lot. plus his voice. HIS F**KING VOICE

Seriously you have to have a cold as hell heart, if you don't think this is adorable.
So yeah i made a thread about him, hey if we can have a full thread based on Ashley, then i'm sure we can have a Yoshi Thread as well. (Plus considering that Poochy & Yoshi's Wooly World is coming next month, this feels appropriate to have right now.)

Now everyone has their favorite Mario character, whatever it's the big greedy fatso himself, Green Mario, or Bowser, everyone has their favorite, well my favorite Mario character (Besides Mario.) is Mario's best friend, Yoshi.
View attachment 3239

Now when i first saw Yoshi, i didn't really care too much for him, i just saw him as a typical Mario character, but then i played these little gem.
View attachment 3238
And everything about him changed for me. the fact that he along with his clan were willing to go through so much shit and trouble just to get a couple of babies to their parents is very damn impressive if i say so myself. and since then, i delved into the other Yoshi games. (Except for Yoshi's Story.) and while they are not as good as Yoshi's Island, (Especially New Island.) it still really made me love the dino. and since then, I've been rooting for him to be a playable character in the Super Mario games. (Not as a mount.) alongside Wario, and now he's generally my main in MK besides Mario. Seriously his loyality and his upbeat attitude tends to really makes me smile for some reason and the fact that he can brighten up everyone's day and still be a complete badass at the same time really makes me admire him a lot. plus his voice. HIS F**KING VOICE

Seriously you have to have a cold as hell heart, if you don't think this is adorable.
So yeah i made a thread about him, hey if we can have a full thread based on Ashley, then i'm sure we can have a Yoshi Thread as well. (Plus considering that Poochy & Yoshi's Wooly World is coming next month, this feels appropriate to have right now.)

Well put. A beautiful character, and likewise - he always puts a smile on my face. I'm not even a fan of Mario and Luigi, but I've loved Yoshi and his clan for as long as I can remember.
Yoshi's Story is my favourite Yoshi game. It was an exclusive Yoshi platformer (without that recurring baby gimmick) and it introduced his modern-day speaking voice. I believe Tetris Attack for SNES was the first time the Yoshter had a speaking voice, but there might have been earlier instances (apart from TV commercials where he spoke).

Last edited:
We need a unique for Switch but not another Yoshi's Island sequel. Perhaps another spin off platformer kinda like topsy turvey for GBA (not play like topsy turvy just that its a non Island platformer) that could make use of the joycons in some way.

Not sure if this would be considered a Mario game or a Yoshi game I'd love to see although it'll probably never happen is a new Yoshi Safari. What Yoshi needs right now is another really well selling game, with the positive ratings Yoshi's Wooly World gave seems like he's heading in the right direction. The two joycons can also aid in not just aiming and shooting your target but you could easily fit a two player co-op option, again this game itself is sort of a niche on it's own however something like it could help.

If not then maybe another platformer that would hold people's attention as Wooly World has or even earlier games like Island. Just as long as they don't try to recreate yoshi's island as they did with " yoshi's new island " which was mediocre.

I suddenly remembered I made a Yoshi thread.
And now I shall post the trailer for the new Yoshi game for the Switch. (From E3)
It looks pretty good and the flipping gimmick looks intriguing as well. Overall i'm interested in seeing how it's executed.

What do you think?

Last edited:

I suddenly remembered I made a Yoshi thread.
And now I shall post the trailer for the new Yoshi game for the Switch. (From E3)
It looks pretty good and the flipping gimmick looks intriguing as well. Overall i'm interested in seeing how it's executed.

What do you think?

I'm not a such a big fan of the Yoshi games, but this looks great! I just love the cardboard design. Go Yoshi!

Just recreated the Sledge Bro sprites from it:
upload_2017-9-29_3-51-37.png

It's difficult to tell the different shades of green apart when it's so blurry. :/

Not sure if this has been mentioned on the forums yet...
Beta Yoshi
00000782_06.jpg

Definitely not as cute as the finalised version. He looks weaker, gawky, and bird-like here (his side profile makes him look rather frail).

I wonder what I was doing on the 29th of November, 1989, at 21:35...

Last edited:
Not sure if this has been mentioned on the forums yet...
Beta Yoshi
00000782_06.jpg
Oh wow!
That's a very interesting design, a lot more bird and gawky like in appearance then the finalized version (He actually looks a bit goofy by comparison)
Though like @Angler of Lake Asparagus he's definitely not as cute or really even that dinosuar looking compared to the design later on (Maybe it's from back when he was a type of Koopa rather then the lovable dinosaur we know today?) Which is most likely why they changed it later on. It's not bad or anything though, but it's definitely very different and quite offputting from the design we're used to seeing.

It doesn't seem like they abandoned entirely it though considering that Baby Yoshi from SMW looks to have taken some design elements from this beta design such as the beakish nose (or probably from a midway design that we hadn't seen.)
SMW_Baby_Yoshi.gif

Last edited:
So if baby yoshi looks like this because of the beta design...
upload_2017-9-29_10-40-41.png

Then I wonder what he might've looked like if they had updated it before release...
upload_2017-9-29_10-41-34.png

It... doesn't feel right...

Back