Wario in SM64 DS

Dumribble

The Post Rater™
How do you feel about him in there? I unlocked him as soon as I could and used him wherever possible, even though he was a bad jumper (still got everything in Rainbow Ride with him!). I like how the Metal Cap was only for him (Metal Head Wario Can Move!).

But I hated how Wario couldn't get into Bowser in the Sky. Damn Nintendo and their extreme Mario love.

I use him all of the time, theres just something enourmesly satisfying about how far he can throw and punch things around.
His low jump isn't an issue for me either, if anything, it makes a incredibly easy game a little more challenging.

Yeah, I love how far he can punch those enemies! It shows he's much stronger and cooler than everyone else. Too bad it makes getting coins more difficult, so I often have to resort to the usual ground stomping...

And yeah, it makes the game harder. Tricky Triangles with Wario was very hard, but satisfying to get. Sadly Stomp the Thwomp is probably completely impossible though, so I couldn't get it with him...

Yeah they could have had more areas that only Wario could access or large boulders only he could lift and then place on a switch or something... wait that's sort of like Chunky Kong.

Yeah, there were some black brick blocks only Wario could break, but there weren't enough, and players who don't like Wario could find his cap on most levels. :(

I loved it. Unlike Sakurai, these developers new exactly how to use Wario: as a brute strength character who only does gross things to emphasize the fact that he gives zero shits about what other people think (rather than just for the sake of being a source of gross-out humor). It was great playing as Wario in a Super Mario game and using him to traverse old environments I'd already played through as Mario. Actually I just really loved the SM64DS as a whole, controls aside.

I agree with Waluigi; playing through that great classic as Wario felt very satisfying. As for the controls, it's just not the same thing without an analog stick.

He's credited as "Supervising Director", whatever that is

As an aside, I find it pretty sad how people still seems to think Miyamoto is this magical pixie man who, to quote someone on the shmup forum, "singlehandedly chisels these games out of granite with his teeth or something.". The original release of Super Mario 64 is the last game where Miyamoto was seriously involved in design. As a general manager of EAD, his role is more among the lines of approving or declining pitches, supervising games in developments, scheduling EAD's software schedule and marketing - ie: the sort of executive role naive nerds are otherwise quick to demonize.

----

I didn't find SM64DS' controls problematic, but then again I have no trouble playing those early Saturn and PSX games with no analogue. Maybe I'm just weird?

He's credited as "Supervising Director", whatever that is

As an aside, I find it pretty sad how people still seems to think Miyamoto is this magical pixie man who, to quote someone on the shmup forum, "singlehandedly chisels these games out of granite with his teeth or something.". The original release of Super Mario 64 is the last game where Miyamoto was seriously involved in design. As a general manager of EAD, his role is more among the lines of approving or declining pitches, supervising games in developments, scheduling EAD's software schedule and marketing - ie: the sort of executive role naive nerds are otherwise quick to demonize.
Someone said that about him? Interesting.

But you're right. According to people who don't know enough about Nintendo, Miyamoto makes everything. But in reality, he doesn't even actually "do anything" with Mario and Zelda anymore as much as he used to. People always think that he has this magical ability to make games appear out of thin air, along with others like Sakurai. (Even going so far as to assume that he can speak perfect English, when he really doesn't) And even Sakurai makes it clear more than once that it's not even that simple, and that some things in Smash aren't even his doing.

And then there's Sakamoto. The minute, no, the second anyone hears his name, they immediately demonize him for Other M, hardly aware of what other good games he made all this time.

I played Super Mario 64 DS, and it wasn't bad, though the controls were a bit wonky. Wario wasn't bad, but his jump wasn't so great, so I would play as someone else when a level required a decent jumper.

I hear playing the game on the 3DS improves the controls a bit, but my old copy disappeared on me. Never been able to find it, dang it!

It doesn't make it perfect, since the analog stick's inputs are limited to replicating the d-pad controls, but it still makes it way more smooth.

Back