Wario Land 3 Research and findings

Tiger21820

Master of Fire & Ice & Wario Land 3: Master Quest!
I have been poking around the memory and decided to mess with the enemies, and I found a few things interesting things with certain enemies.

This topic may be updated from time to time with anything else I may come across.

First: The enemies that are currently on screen are temporarily stored starting at RAM address $D000.
Each enemy is 32 bytes long, so the first enemy ranges from $D000-$D01F, then the next enemy starts at $D020, and so on. I will be referring to the first enemy in these notes.

I have been messing around with these values for a bit, and found some stuff:

$D00F is the current frame of the enemy.
$D012 seems to effect animations.

So I decided to mess around with the urchin enemies from N4 Bank of the Wild River.

By changing the byte of $D012 to 13, 15 or 19 (It worked best while it was cooling down with it's spikes retracted), I could make it look like he was stunned.

index.php

This was the first frame. The frame number is 04.

index.php

This is what it changes to after a couple seconds. The frame number is 03.

He alternates like this until you touch it. This could have been used if you throw an enemy at it but nothing happens if you do that. Another thing I did was changed $D000 to 03 and I could throw stuff at it.
However it only acts as if I touched it. It is also possible that this frame could have been seen by bumping in to it while it's spikes were retracted to delay it's cool down frame.

I am working on more stuff, so check back for more posts. :)

Last edited:
Thanks!
I Have more!
N5 The Tidal Coast

The unused flower has some additional frames that are even more unused than the enemy itself!
This one was assigned to $D000-$D01F, and by changing $D010 to 2A, the little thing will lose it's stem and shrink into a tiny ball with... ahhh... let's just let the images speak for themselves!

index.php

index.php

index.php
(Ignore that extra flower)
index.php

index.php

index.php

I had to do a burst to make sure I got all the frames, so the images listed are not in the order they were taken, but the order of the frames are accurate.

I'm not sure if this is the intended behavior for these frames, but this is how they looked in the game.
After it turns into a ball, some glitchy graphic show up a few seconds and the flower shows these frames in reverse and then launch their flower (Which is why you see two flowers in 3rd image).

The flower enemy and their rolling heads are two separate enemies. The rolling head was assigned to $D040-$D05F.

Last edited:
I have more!
Again: N5 The Tidal Coast

That little beetle that moves up or down and left to right and pokes you has an additional behavior that has a flying animation!

By changing $D010 to 16 while in the 1st room of the cave that leads to the green treasure chest (Keep in mind that you could do this anywhere wherever these enemies exist, but the address might be different elsewhere.) and the beetle will start moving back and forth (and up and down possibly) with that angry look in it's eyes he gets after he pokes you, and each time he stops, instead of turning around, he will hover for a second and then go the opposite direction. He also will not calm down over time. He will keep doing this until you kill him, or move off screen! Also the flying frames will be reversed if he stops at the right.

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

Disclaimer:
All of these are taken while playing my hack, you may have to: look in different levels/add the enemies yourself/play my hack if you want to see these for yourself! ;)

More enemies coming soon!

See you next time!
And this Tiger21820, signing off!

"Wario Land 3 Research was brought to by Wario Forums"
"Wario Forums is a wonderful community owned and administered by Cheat Master30 to bring together those who love to talk about Wario and his games! :woahalt: If you are a guest here, I urge you to sign up and be part of the fun! You won't regret it! VforVictory: *The Wario Forums theme song now plays at this point*"

*TEST PATTERN*
(Sorry about that, I just had the urge to do this, lol)

Thanks! I actually am having a lot of fun doing this! :)
I have more for you!

N2 The Peaceful Village
By changing $D012 to 34, a zombie will have it's head shrink as you kill it's head (or eats Wario's greedy brains lol), but not sure if this is how it works. You have to change the value AS SOON as Wario kills the head (Or the head kills Wario).

Images of this will be coming sooner or later, I am a bit tired, heh...

I will do more POSSIBLY this evening or tomorrow morning (Or if luck has it: This afternoon).

I'm interested if there are any unused Treasure Cutscenes, or graphics that would have been used for them.
For example, there is a treasure that cleans the black water - and nothing about that cutscene tells you how the level changed! All you get is the wand, and then telling you where to go. Could there have been an unused cutscene of thw water turning from black to blue with a door?

More stuff!

In N3 The Vast Plain, if you set memory address $D012 from D9 to E9 (Some values ranging from DA to EF do it too, but differently), Mr. Moon will have this frame during its regular animation:
index.php

The animation ID (Used by $D00F) is 12.

One other thing is that the time it takes for him to fire a star is controlled by the memory address $D016!
You can prevent him from firing stars by freezing that byte!

More soon!

Well, I found Mr. Sun chuckling!
By changing the byte from 74 to D5 on $D012, you can make him chuckle (Or is it a grin? I can't really tell!) like this:
index.php
index.php
index.php

Aww... How cute!

I always thought at first that Mr. Sun's eyebrows were his eyes (He always had them closed), and his REAL eyes were his nostrils.

Also the frame IDs are 02 and 10.

I have more! (yay)

In S2 The Big Bridge, by changing $D032 (or $D012) to 53, you can make those pesky tadpoles turn around looking at the camera before jumping.
(This is REALLY hard to do, you have to do it BEFORE it sticks it's head out of the water, or it won't do it. I suggest that you also change $D036 (or $D016) to FF to delay it's jumping. It will do the animation until the timer reaches 00!)

The images:
index.php
index.php

By the way, my favorite unused animation so far is the beetle's flying animation, because it seems to be an alternate behavior rather than an animation.

N4 Bank of the Wild River
By changing $D0B2 to 03, you can change Pesce's food into a pepper, and 06 changes it to garlic! Also for fun, change it to 04 for lulz!
index.php
index.php

S3 Tower of Revival
In the room with the green chest and key (With the chain link fences), changing $D032 (or $D012) to E2 will show unused frames, and will keep moving left to right (up and down perhaps)
index.php
index.php
index.php

N2 The Peaceful Village
By changing $D092 (or $D012) from A0 to B3 (at a specific time) in the "Laboratory", you can make the lamp sparks have eyes!
index.php
index.php
index.php

It is amazing what you can do when you edit the RAM!

And now... Unused level tiles!

These are taken from my hack (The new one, so a sneak peek perhaps?)

N1 Out of the Woods
index.php

Some unused lamps, screws, and smaller gears!
The lamps don't get darker or brighter along with the background and the gears are animated!

More later!

Go here for more:
https://warioforums.com/index.php?media/albums/wario-land-3-research.26/

There are still more I forgot about, so I will post them later.

Last edited:
Back