Wario Land references in the WarioWare series?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
Anyone spotted any I missed?

Because so far, here are some of the notable ones:

WarioWare Mega Microgames uses music from Wario Land 4's Crescent Moon Village in the ending:

It also uses sound effects, like the portal one with Wario.

Paper Plane uses the Curious Factory theme, in surprisingly high quality:

WarioWare Twisted has the Music Box from Wario Land 3 and the Gold Pyramid from 4 in the intro:

And one of the DIY games had a Wario Land 4 microgame. But are there any other references?

I found out that Warioware D.I.Y. has a Warioland 4 themed Microgame and Warioware Smooth Moves has a Warioland: Super Mario Land 3 microgame.

Idk if this counts but there was a Super Mario Land micro game in the original GBA version and also in the GC version (Grow Wario Grow) Since Wario ended up taking over the Mario Land series (when taking over Mario castle wasn't enough ;P) after Mario Land 2 I guess this is kinda like a reference. Starts at 9:01

Last edited:
Yeah, GlowSquid mentioned that above. It's a reference because the player sprite comes from the first Wario Land game.

-One of the level theme in the "Arrow" minigame of G&W is apparently taken from Wario Land II, though I wouldn't be able to tell you which.

I've been watching a playthrough of all four levels. I haven't seen or heard anything Wario Land related.

Last edited:
I wish there were MUCH more Wario Land references in the games. It doesn't really feel like much of a Wario game if the real series is just ignored.
Imagine Mario Kart had no references to the main Mario games. Or imagine Donkey Kong Country without the Donkey Kong (Arcade) references (no barrels, no Cranky Kong, no main theme, etc...)

This one is also in there.

Where?

I wish there were MUCH more Wario Land references in the games. It doesn't really feel like much of a Wario game if the real series is just ignored.
Imagine Mario Kart had no references to the main Mario games. Or imagine Donkey Kong Country without the Donkey Kong (Arcade) references (no barrels, no Cranky Kong, no main theme, etc...)

Well, Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze sometimes feel like they have too many Donkey Kong arcade references and not enough Donkey Kong Country ones, especially according to some on DK Vine. So it's a similar situation there too.

But you're right. We need more Wario Land references in WarioWare, not less. The two series should be a lot more linked than they actually are.

Suprised nobody brought up Tiny Wario from Smooth Moves yet:
119px-Tiny_Wario_WarioWare_Smooth_Moves.png

Here is the Wario Land one, for comparison:
Tiny_Wario_SML3_Wario_Land.png

Right, almost forgot! :eek:
Hm... it's weird...
In Wario Land 1 and VBWL Mini Wario was the equivalent of small Mario...
but since then he's also been turned into mini Wario by the wizards in Wario Land 2 and Penny's bike in Wario Ware Smooth Moves...
could there be connections...?

Maybe it's like how Bowser can change size and become huge at times.

Back