WARIO MOVESET ANALYSIS - Smash 4

WwwWario

Wario Fan Supreme
This is a bit late, but hello, I'm WwwWario.

Some of you may have seen that I've left Youtube (for now). Not sure if I'll be gone for good, but at least I need a break to think.

Anyways, a while ago, I made a video where I went over Wario's moves and animations in Smash 4, because I thought that there were more to him than we might think at first. Sure, his Shoulder Bash was removed in Smash 4 (for some WEIRD reason...) and it's very sad, but this dosesn't mean that Wario doesn't have any representations anymore. In fact, it appears that he has quite a lot.

For example, have you thought about the fact that Wario's Down Throw looks VERY similar to the Ground Pound? Only that thought made me respect Smash Wario a lot more.

Here's the video I made, I think (and hope) you'll be surprised:

Like I write in the video, take many of these reps with a grain of salt. Not all of them are confirmed representations, but as long as Wario has done similar moves before, I think of it as a representation either way, since Wario HAS done it before, even if it was intentional by Sakurai or not.

Hope you like it :)

Hello, Wwwario. I'm Ashley Channel. My friend loved your games, we were very happy when you included Ashley into the game. It's great to see you are doing well.

Wario does have good representation. Like one of his star characters Ashley, being an assist, having her songs back along with a new one and Mii costume. It doesn't get any better than this. Well, it would if she were playable, hopefully in smash 5. I'm not all to familiar with Wario's moves, I never played Wario games aside from World and Game and Wario, but I am trying out Land 3.

But I do remember the Shoulder Bash from brawl and found that I liked it more than his long big fist. It is weird that he removed it, since I'm pretty sure that was Wario's main move.

Hello, Wwwario. I'm Ashley Channel. My friend loved your games, we were very happy when you included Ashley into the game. It's great to see you are doing well.

Wario does have good representation. Like one of his star characters Ashley, being an assist, having her songs back along with a new one and Mii costume. It doesn't get any better than this. Well, it would if she were playable, hopefully in smash 5. I'm not all to familiar with Wario's moves, I never played Wario games aside from World and Game and Wario, but I am trying out Land 3.

But I do remember the Shoulder Bash from brawl and found that I liked it more than his long big fist. It is weird that he removed it, since I'm pretty sure that was Wario's main move.
Thank you : )

Ashley is awesome for sure. And Wario has indeed good representation in Smash (at least it looks like it). However, that being said, he could definitely have had a moveset that fits him more.

There are lots of moves and animations he uses from his games, that isn't represented in Smash.He has the Piledriver (picks up an enemy, jumps up, spins around and slams them down to the ground) from Wario World, the Shoulder Bash which is in ever Wario platformer, the Ground Shake Punch from Wario Land Shake It, the throwing animation from the Land games, some of his many transformation powers, etc., but still, Wario seem to have some hidden moves from his games sneaked into his Smash moveset, and I'm very happy about that. I just wish there was even more of it.

I know, As you can probably tell she's a favorite of mine. Some people get a small bit annoyed of how much I talk about her. :p Ashley ftw!

Anyways, yeah, Warioware is in good representation aside from land which doesn't have nearly as much as Ware. You know, I was thinking there would have been a Land based stage, but we got gamer. I really wanted Ashley's stage to be in there, like it would have been awesome, with those cookies being stage hazards and stuff, also it could switch between skins, like there would be the icecrem land, chocolate land and candy land.

The Shoulder Bash I can agree on is really weird of them to take out, it's what made Wario Wario! He isn't bad in smash though, I found myself a lot of worthy Wario players around the web.

Hmm, a rather fascinating video actually. It seems the focus was mainly focusing on his Anti-Mario and gross traits which isn't bad but idk the Anti-Mario stuff is a bit too much since that was mostly only very early Wario characterization and there's more to him than that. If he would've had his ground pound instead of that weird Mario Tornado knockoff and his shoulder barge from Brawl or maybe make it an actual charge I think that would've made some good enough Wario Land representation since those are his most notable moves from those games anyway. I used to think people just rationalized all the Wario World references but now I think it might be plausible with how many moves are seemingly inspired by it. I guess the problem is that his moveset feels rather generic. Aside from the coin inhaling none of Wario's exclusive moves from Wario World are particularly notable so if Wario World didn't even exist he still could've had a moveset like this in Smash by how generic most of his moves are.

Hmm, a rather fascinating video actually. It seems the focus was mainly focusing on his Anti-Mario and gross traits which isn't bad but idk the Anti-Mario stuff is a bit too much since that was mostly only very early Wario characterization and there's more to him than that. If he would've had his ground pound instead of that weird Mario Tornado knockoff and his shoulder barge from Brawl or maybe make it an actual charge I think that would've made some good enough Wario Land representation since those are his most notable moves from those games anyway.

He has the ground pound, it's just in his Down Throw- I'm personally rather happy about it, having another Ground Pound Down B would've sucked. The "Mario Tornado" thing is actually a somewhat adapted Corkscrew Conk(Wario World) much like how Chomp takes inspiration from Hyper Suction.

I used to think people just rationalized all the Wario World references but now I think it might be plausible with how many moves are seemingly inspired by it. I guess the problem is that his moveset feels rather generic. Aside from the coin inhaling none of Wario's exclusive moves from Wario World are particularly notable so if Wario World didn't even exist he still could've had a moveset like this in Smash by how generic most of his moves are.

He had all his recurring Land moves in that game though. He just added several extras. And honestly, all of the three big moves from Land until Shake Dimension were rather bland:

-Power Throw was the most generic throw animation ever(hilariously, this would actually have allowed it to stick out in Smash, lol)
-Ground Pound was a move first used by Bowser as a boss, and went on to become a Mario staple that both Wario and Yoshi picked up for their series. Also, the Mario Party games makes clear literally any Mario character can do it.
-Dash Attack is pretty much a generic rushing elbow/shoulder tackle(In smash, Captain Falcon and Ganondorf has very similar move).

What I'm getting at is not just having references for the sake of "representation" but also having the way they play be references to how they play in their games. While the ground pound is there you don't ground pound grabbed enemies in the Wario Land games. I just find it weird that you're playing as characters in a crossover game yet they don't play like how they would in their own games. I mean obviously for characters like Captain Falcon and Fox that's not really possible but characters like Robin, while you don't actually control characters in Fire Emblem directly, the way Robin plays in Smash quite nicely references the series' gameplay with its various weapons and tomes and the durability system. A much better representation than Marth and his clones in terms of gameplay.

What I'm getting at is not just having references for the sake of "representation" but also having the way they play be references to how they play in their games. While the ground pound is there you don't ground pound grabbed enemies in the Wario Land games. I just find it weird that you're playing as characters in a crossover game yet they don't play like how they would in their own games. I mean obviously for characters like Captain Falcon and Fox that's not really possible but characters like Robin, while you don't actually control characters in Fire Emblem directly, the way Robin plays in Smash quite nicely references the series' gameplay with its various weapons and tomes and the durability system. A much better representation than Marth and his clones in terms of gameplay.

Falcon plays like an F-Zero car- fast and furious, heavy, and hard to control(momentum). While his original appearance in Smash 64 was literally just them using him as a skin for the already developed Dragon King(Smash 64 was originally Dragon King: The Fighting Game), his mechanics and physics in later games were redone to fit the character even better(he already had several facets in 64, lol).

Fox in Smash 64(and the rest of the games) plays like an Arwing- super fast with serious kill power:
His specials except for Illusion is based on the Arwing too.
Blaster- Ship laser.
Fire Fox- Boost.
Reflector- Barrel Roll.
When Fox finally fought in person(Starfox Adventures), he had:
-Fire Blaster(Staff), almost worked exactly like the blaster.
-Rocket Boost(Staff), Worked almost identical to Firefox.
-Magic Shield(Staff)
And he was fast and deadly. :p

These two are fantastic examples of characters that you didn't control directly in their own games still bringing the style of those games with them.

I see some people complaining about Ness and Lucas using moves they didn't in their own games, but they are representing the entire playable cast rather than just themselves.

Robin does a pretty good job staying faithful, though the whole breakable weapon theme is kinda broken once you consider how the Bronze Sword doesn't break. :p

I was more specifically talking about characters from platformers transitioning into this game like Kirby and Sonic.

This is a bit late, but hello, I'm WwwWario.

Some of you may have seen that I've left Youtube (for now). Not sure if I'll be gone for good, but at least I need a break to think.

Anyways, a while ago, I made a video where I went over Wario's moves and animations in Smash 4, because I thought that there were more to him than we might think at first. Sure, his Shoulder Bash was removed in Smash 4 (for some WEIRD reason...) and it's very sad, but this dosesn't mean that Wario doesn't have any representations anymore. In fact, it appears that he has quite a lot.

For example, have you thought about the fact that Wario's Down Throw looks VERY similar to the Ground Pound? Only that thought made me respect Smash Wario a lot more.

Here's the video I made, I think (and hope) you'll be surprised:

Like I write in the video, take many of these reps with a grain of salt. Not all of them are confirmed representations, but as long as Wario has done similar moves before, I think of it as a representation either way, since Wario HAS done it before, even if it was intentional by Sakurai or not.

Hope you like it :)

At least you're a much better YouTuber who only left to take a break online. Unlike a certain YouTuber? Cough cough "GEXUP!" Cough cough

lol

This probably has a simple answer... considering Shake It was released some time after Brawl came out is Wario's victory music truly a reference to Shake It?

That's what I was thinking as a possibility but I was also thinking if somehow it was an original composition that worked its way into Shake It. My memory on 2006-2008 is hazy.

Back