Welcome to Mario Kart!

warelander

Some random guy online
While I made a Mario Sports series' thread in the past I felt that Mario Kart should have one on it's own, since it is by far the most popular Mario Spin Off out there, so here we are.

As for me, while I wish that the other spin off series' would get more attention I do love me some Mario Kart, it's a ton of fun and I always look forward to the newest installments, as for the individual titles:

Super Mario Kart

I love the way this game looks and sounds, but I'm complete trash at it, I used to be better at it many years ago, but nowadays not so much. There is fun to be had with it thought, just don't expect competence from me.

Mario Kart 64

While a lot of it is nostalgia I just can't help but love this game, it shows it's age far more then any other game in the series, with the blatantly cheating AI opponents, no music when playing with 3 or 4 players or terrible red shell AI, but I still always have a good time with itt. So while I won't defend it's problems, that won't stop me from enjoying it.

Mario Kart Super Circuit

This game tends to get flak here and there, but I think it's enjoyable, it has interesting track ideas, a great soundtrack and the inclusion of the recreated SMK tracks was really neat. It propably depends on whether or not the controls click with you and I can get used to them, but they do have problems, so I can see why people don't like it.

Mario Kart Double Dash!!

My favorite game in the series, I just adore everything about it, from the two character mechanic, the tracks, the music, the expanded roster and battle mode, as well as other new tricks, like being able to dodge red shells via clever maneuvering. I just love everything about it: Also: Wario Car!

Mario Kart DS

Third favorite game for me, great tracks, the introduction of bringing retro tracks back, the character specific karts (which can later be unlocked for everyone to use), the best Battle Mode in the series and the Mission Mode, it's just awesome in my book.

Mario Kart Wii

Worst character balancing in the series, bikes are blatantly better then karts, items practicly punish playing good at times....and yet I still enjoy it. Yeah, for all of it's problems I do think that it is still a blast in multiplayer, I actually find the new race tracks to be really fun and as much as bikes are better I like the attempt of adding a different vehicle type with it's own strenghts and weaknesses into the series. Also: Wario Bike!

Mario Kart 7

This is a very odd one for me, it's a perfectly solid game and probably objectivly better then Wii, but I still like that one better. The tracks are more hit & miss for me, I really adore some like Wario's Shipyard or this game's Rainbow Road, while others are just okay for me, the roster is lame, the Battle Mode is lame and the game just feels bare and as a result has a rushed feeling to it that leaves me with a far more ''meh'' feeling that the actual game warrants.

Mario Kart 8

My second favorite in the series, it handles great, has the best track remakes in the series yet, tons of content thanks to DLC and updates (200cc is absolute bonkers and I love it), it looks beyond gorgeus, the attention to detail is lovely and I love the soundtrack. Now granted the clone overload is stupid, but I still like the roster more then the one in 7 and Battle Mode despite the lack of actual arenas is stiil an improvement in my eyes, just for the sake of having deathmatches back. In total this is the Wii U game I spend the most time on and I don't regret it at all.

Never played any of the Arcade titles, but I do want to try them out at least once, even if it is just for the Diamond City tracks.

I remember there was a series of arcade games for Mario Kart but there was also Pac-Man characters in there. There was not as much to do in those games but the tracks were amazing even though some were recycled from double dash but that is fine since it is my favourite one in the series.

One of my favorites series. I'll keep my impressions short since most of it is similar to what warelander has said and/or I've explained in other threads.

Super Mario Kart:
I'm awful at it but I haven't really tried it much and I also haven't really had the chance to experience the multiplayer mode.

Mario Kart 64:
Not actually one of my favorites and I don't have much nostalgia for it but I definitely see it as a great. The single player mode with the rubberbanding AI and nearly useless red shell isn't that great but the multiplayer mode is truly something else. Very simple but very fun especially the battle mode.

Mario Kart Super Circuit:
I actually really like it. While it can get difficult because of the controls I find it to be quite fun and unlocking the SNES tracks is a cool bonus.

Mario Kart: Double Dash:
This is where it started for me and nostalgia aside I think this one holds up really well. The 2 player mechanic is a bit gimmicky but it did make a for a huge, memorable roster. The tracks are all great and the multiplayer mode is really good as well.

Mario Kart DS:
This one felt a little dull for me but still very solid all around. The Mission Mode I especially enjoyed and gave something more for people playing alone. It was also the first Mario Kart game to feature online gameplay and while limited it was a good start.

Mario Kart Wii:
Oh man. This one has horrible balancing all around from characters to items to vehicles but it made for a very fun and chaotic experience if you don't mind a lack of competitiveness. The online mode was insane but again the chaotic nature was fun. The battle mode is not as great as previous games though.

Mario Kart 7:
I felt like this one was similar to Mario Kart DS in feel in that it was kind of dull but still solid. The build a kart idea was neat but sadly leads to some overpowered combinations. The roster was kind of weird though and the battle mode also not up to par with previous games.

Mario Kart 8:
I really like this one but not as much as previous entries. Somehow it doesn't feel chaotic enough outside of 200c mode which feels a tad too experimental. The tracks feel rather short and the items don't seem as useful as before as well as the removal of holding multiple items. The creating a kart feature is back but streamlined and now feels a bit pointless. Still fun but could be better.

Super Mario Kart:
This was the one I first started playing on, when I went to my friends house as a little kid he had this game. So we'd always go with like the 2-player courses, it was really really fun but as most of the posts here states it is very hard to control. The controls just feel kind of slippery at times especially when you need to make sharp turns. It's one of those games much like F-zero or Megaman 1 where it's good for the series to pick up but I wouldn't really recommend it for everyone just to try it out once as an oddity to experience.

Mario Kart 64:
This game I spent a ton playing not just by myself but with friends and family members alike. It's definitely the one I most had fun in the battle courses and to this day it alongside DD and MKDS have my favorite battle courses so fun for the whole family. This game also has the very popular rainbow road theme that even appeared in MK8.

Mario Kart Super Circuit:
This is another one of those games in which it doesn't really add to what the others have brought to the table but instead becomes a much more enhanced version of the first MK. Very similar to F-zero and the F-zero gba game this game plays similarly to SMK however the controls don't really feel slippery or anything of the sort and it is quite challenging just like SMK, it's another one of those games where it's best to just play it a few times and experience it and as of this point move onto the much more enhanced games of the series.

Mario Kart Double Dash:
Pretty much feel the same way about this game as MK64, it has a lot of replay value and with friends as well which I've done a lot in the past. The point of this game is it has these 2 player co-op even and it can get very fun just switching inbetween, although this has only been implemented in this game the power ups of this game has carried over to other games in the future.

Mario Kart DS:
This one felt pretty how you say " genericish " idk if that's the right word. It just didn't really feel like it offered much, it was like DD without the two player mode option and well Rob appeared though that doesn't really change the fact that it was just alright didn't really play it much.

Mario Kart Wii:
This has to be my least fav in the series. I just didn't really like it, I hated just how unbalanced it could have been. Case and point my only fav part of this game was seeing Rosalina in a hot skin tight outfit.

Mario Kart 7:
This is one of my favorite ones, it felt a little more balanced than MKWii however it didn't cripple items and motorcycles like MK8 did, so there's still a fun challenge to be done especially online.

Mario Kart 8:
Had a ton of fun on this game, it's also the most aesthetically pleasing looking MK games. Just really hoped that the music could have been better than it has, orchestrated music really doesn't fit in a MK game but hey that's the era we're living in now it seems.

I wish I could ride like this online again.
BulletBike-Toadette.png

Yes I know there are ways to get Wi-Fi on Mario Kart Wii to work but it just isn't the same.

We may not be able to use karts to our advantage as much in MK8 but we at least get the awesome teddy bear kart complete with button wheels.

TeddyBuggyBodyMK8.png

Souw, who else is pumped that Bob-Omb Blast is back?

I know I am for sure, I expected a better Battle Mode for Deluxe, but not that they'd bring this back.

Only thing that'd make me more pumped is if Cookie Land came back with it. It'd be hell online but it'd be insane in a funny way. Too soon for it to come back I guess.

I don't think it's gonna be a problem, as Mario Kart 7 brought back SNES Rainbow Road and it was brought back in Mario Kart 8 too.

Perhaps, though SNES Rainbow Road in 8 was DLC and not part of the main game, which makes me a tad sceptical, though I'm not gonna try and pretend that I know how Nintendo makes their decisions for that kind of stuff.

Yeah, I can see that. Maybe a DLC with the stage? I mean that battle stage was quite entertaining!

I'm sure at this point there's something "special" about SNES Rainbow Road. The only other track I could see getting that treatment is N64 Rainbow Road.

Well, I'm conflicted on Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. The battle mode looks great, the new characters look great and the items look interesting, but the lack of new content as far as actual tracks go is really disappointing. Eh, maybe I'll wait on that one. See if they do a Mario Kart 8 and start selling/giving away DLC courses or something. If that brings in new tracks, then I'll consider it.

As for SNES Rainbow Road being 'special'... I guess, though I can also see a lot of tracks come back multiple times. I mean, they're not gonna only bring back each track once in the series. Some of them just seem too iconic for that.

So I can see say, the likes of Waluigi Pinball or Maple Treeway or Airship Fortress or Baby Park or whatever reappearing in another Mario Kart game. Especially the ones from DS (where retro tracks were greatly toned down) or 7 (which got an insanely good list of retro tracks and didn't do much with them).

Well, I'm conflicted on Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. The battle mode looks great, the new characters look great and the items look interesting, but the lack of new content as far as actual tracks go is really disappointing. Eh, maybe I'll wait on that one. See if they do a Mario Kart 8 and start selling/giving away DLC courses or something. If that brings in new tracks, then I'll consider it.

As for SNES Rainbow Road being 'special'... I guess, though I can also see a lot of tracks come back multiple times. I mean, they're not gonna only bring back each track once in the series. Some of them just seem too iconic for that.

So I can see say, the likes of Waluigi Pinball or Maple Treeway or Airship Fortress or Baby Park or whatever reappearing in another Mario Kart game. Especially the ones from DS (where retro tracks were greatly toned down) or 7 (which got an insanely good list of retro tracks and didn't do much with them).

But Baby Park is in there, in one of the DLCs, right?

Back