[Poll] Which developer would you like to develop the next Wario Land?

Which developer would you like to adopt the series?

• Good-Feel

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Retro Studios

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Arzest

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 14 50.0%

• Total voters

Glowsquid

Mental midget
Diamond City Leader
As we (all) probably know, the Wario platformer series has suffered the same fate as Yoshi's and has been bounced around several B-class at best development team. Should the series make a triumphant DKC Returns-style, erm, return, which developer would you like to develop the game?

Personally, I'd be very curious to see what a Wario platformer by SPD 1 would be like. SPD 1 is the successor to the Nintendo R&D1 department that developed Wario Land (and indeed, several key staff of the WarioWare series got their start on Wario Land 4, though granted, more on the programming and aesthetic side of things than design) and would be well disposed to carry on the series' tradition of creativity.

One problem may be that SPD 1's output has been mostly minigame compilations. The last 2D platformer by any incarnation of R&D1 was Metroid Zero Mission back in 2004 and its last action-adventure title was the lacking-at-best Metroid: Other M, though that can be chalked up to Yoshio's Sakamoto inexperience with 3D design and unique ideas about game design.

So yeah, wadya think?

Definitely Retro Studios. SPD 1 would be interesting too, but Retro would bring the most hype to the series. I mean, every work they announce ends up some massive deal that everyone online eagerly waits for and talks about for months. That's arguably what Wario Land needs even more than the original creators, someone to make a huge deal of the franchise and treat it as a triple A video game series.

Good-Feel did a decent job with Shake It, but to be honest, they're nowhere near as good at game design as SPD 1 or Retro Studios. They'd do a fine job with a sequel, it's just it wouldn't be anything revolutionary.

And Arzest? Dear God no. They already screwed up Yoshi's franchise, I don't want them anywhere near the Wario one. Wario's New Land? Painful even thinking about it as a concept.

Retro has stated in interviews that the depth-hopping stuff from DKC Returns was inspired by the Virtual Boy Wario Land, and that they played those games for inspiration with picking-up and throwing puzzles/mechanics, so they've already done some research into the games.

And, as you say, Retro is a big deal. Whatever game they are making is going to get hype, both official and otherwise, and be talked about in the gaming community. A high-profile Wario Land release would be well appreciated.

Retro has stated in interviews that the depth-hopping stuff from DKC Returns was inspired by the Virtual Boy Wario Land, and that they played those games for inspiration with picking-up and throwing puzzles/mechanics, so they've already done some research into the games.

Wow that's interesting! Do you have a link on-hand by any chance?

I'd say leave it to Software Development Group No. 1 . The SPD group are basically the old R&D1 team and they've proven through Wario Land 1-4 that they can make unique and well-designed Wario Land games. Retro Studios are mainly focused on bigger budget home console games, something which I don't think is a good fit for Wario. I'd rather them work on something new.

I feel like this topic could use another look. So yeah, we've talked loads about Retro but is there anyone else you guys would think are capable? I haven't tried Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon but I've heard it's good. Next Level Games also did Federation Force which ultimately was not as well received. Thoughts?

Next level games has done a pretty good job, my problem is their art design and how everything is very very simple and generic. Dark moon ghosts designs for example are so bare and simple compare to the original.

Next Level Games also did Federation Force which ultimately was not as well received. Thoughts?

The palyer and critic reception to Feddie Force's gameplay has been somewhat positive, with most of the rage being toward the premise and timing of the game (which is all on Nintendo producer Kensuke Tanabe),.

Next level games has done a pretty good job, my problem is their art design and how everything is very very simple and generic. Dark moon ghosts designs for example are so bare and simple compare to the original.

And the names. =\ "Hiders" (That blue ghost that hides in spots) "Greenie" (Take a guess.) "Gold Greenie" (BUT IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE GREEN!) etc.

I hope its retro studios since that's the best and one of the few developers that miyamoto won't stick his nose in and says it needs more mario.
all jokes aside and no hate on the guy i do think that retro should make the next WL game.

I'd kind of like to see Treasure get a crack in making another Wario title. It doesn't have to be a sequel to Wario World jusr another Wario platformer or something would be nice as they've made plenty of other awesome games aside from Wario World such as Astro Boy, Gunstar Heroes, Sin & Punishment, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: Rei
The palyer and critic reception to Feddie Force's gameplay has been somewhat positive, with most of the rage being toward the premise and timing of the game (which is all on Nintendo producer Kensuke Tanabe),.
Yeah I know that though even with that the reviews lean more towards average than good compared to how well Dark Moon was received.

No Intelligent Systems? I really like what they did with TTYD and Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, I dunno if theyve ever done anything like a side scrolling platformer, but I think TTYD was pretty close, and it was a great game : p

• Agree
Reactions: Rei
Back