Why was there no "Wario Land 5" for the GBA or DS?

For many years now, I've pondered this question. Why was Wario Land 4 the last entry to be developed by Nintendo, after years of consistent sequels?. Surely there must have been plans for a Wario Land 5 during the GBA's life, and certainly the DS, yet no further titles were ever released in the series save for Shake It!, which was developed by a third party.

My question is, 'was' there a Wario Land 5 in development, and what happened to it if there was?. Did Wario Land 4 underperform in sales?, were the devs no longer interested in another game and just refocused on WarioWare?.

It certainly isn't because of sales. WL4 sold as much as WLIII (2.20 millions) and *that* was the most successful Wario platformer since the OG Wario Land.

The very rough timeline from what is publically known basically is:

2001: After Wario Land 4 is completed, some of its development staff goes to Metroid Fusion.

2002: After Metroid Fusion is completed, Yoshio Sakamoto starts the plan for Metroid Zero Mission. The Nintendo R&D1 developers experienced in action/platforming games work on that, while the new hires for Wario Land 4 and Hirofumi Matsuoka work on the original WarioWare.

2003: After the OG WW is released, Iwata ask its development team to port it to the Gamecube ASAP resulting in Mega Party Games.

2004: The old Nintendo R&D1 studio is dissolved and restructured as Nintendo SPD1 with less manpower and some of the old staff retired or moved elsewhere in the company. All 2D Metroids released since then have been outsourced to third-party developers.

My guess is that following up Fusion ASAP was a bigger priority because of the increased focus on the Metroid series steeming from the hype for Metroid Prime and that, quite simply, Yoshio Sakamoto was the head of R&D1/SPD1 at the time and Metroid is his baby while Wario isn't.

It certainly isn't because of sales. WL4 sold as much as WLIII (2.20 millions) and *that* was the most successful Wario platformer since the OG Wario Land.

The very rough timeline from what is publically known basically is:

2001: After Wario Land 4 is completed, some of its development staff goes to Metroid Fusion.

2002: After Metroid Fusion is completed, Yoshio Sakamoto starts the plan for Metroid Zero Mission. The Nintendo R&D1 developers experienced in action/platforming games work on that, while the new hires for Wario Land 4 and Hirofumi Matsuoka work on the original WarioWare.

2003: After the OG WW is released, Iwata ask its development team to port it to the Gamecube ASAP resulting in Mega Party Games.

2004: The old Nintendo R&D1 studio is dissolved and restructured as Nintendo SPD1 with less manpower and some of the old staff retired or moved elsewhere in the company. All 2D Metroids released since then have been outsourced to third-party developers.

My guess is that following up Fusion ASAP was a bigger priority because of the increased focus on the Metroid series steeming from the hype for Metroid Prime and that, quite simply, Yoshio Sakamoto was the head of R&D1/SPD1 at the time and Metroid is his baby while Wario isn't.
Makes sense, I figured the same team moved on to Fusion and Zero Mission. I suppose office politics is the reason why we never did get a true WL5, and it's a damn shame. I enjoyed Shake It! and loved it's hand drawn graphics, but something was missing from the game. It missed that 'edge' that the R&D1-developed titles had. I suppose at this point, it's unlikely we'll ever get another Wario Land game. Why games like Yoshi's Crafted World and Captain Toad are greenlit 'instead' of a WL5, I'll never know. I think it would even be up EPD Tokyo's alley.

Why games like Yoshi's Crafted World and Captain Toad are greenlit 'instead' of a WL5, I'll never know. I think it would even be up EPD Tokyo's alley.
Treasure Tracker is actually a good example of how Nintendo operates. They didn't decide to do a Toad treasure hunting game specifically instead of a Wario one. They started with the base concept of a puzzle platformer where the character can't jump and what franchise to add came later. Very early concept stages even had Link as the main character instead.

And honestly, with it being a EAD game, it was bound to be something Mario/Zelda/Animal Crossing/Pikmin or so on, because those are their series.

The big issue, as Glowsquid has touched on, is that nobody at Nintendo seems to be holding the torch to keep Wario Land active. They'll gladly acknowledge it, but it lacks key figures that keep it going, like WarioWare still has.

They could always outsource new Wario platformers, in fact, they did with World, Master of Disguise and Shake It and some Good-Feel Shake It interviews even teased the idea of them being interested to do a DS Wario Land, but I can see why it hasn't happened yet.

The lukewarm reception and sales of Master of Disguise, along with the back-to-back sales failures of Snapped, DIY and Game & Wario had to have done a lot of damage to the faith in Wario as a brand. Post G&W we saw the longest gap between Wario games and Wario himself didn't really get the push from Nintendo anymore that he used to get.

It feels Gold helped to turn this around and it was especially easy to feel this year, with Wario and Waluigi getting so much marketing push for Mario Golf Super Rush and Nintendo marketing Get It Together more than any Wario game in weeeell over a decade. The EAD/SPD1 merge may have also helped but I am nowhere in the know enough about that to say how true that is.

I do think Get It Together's success is gonna be a big help in getting Wario Land back, because it shows that Wario is still a brand well worth investing into.

Makes sense, I figured the same team moved on to Fusion and Zero Mission. I suppose office politics is the reason why we never did get a true WL5, and it's a damn shame. I enjoyed Shake It! and loved it's hand drawn graphics, but something was missing from the game. It missed that 'edge' that the R&D1-developed titles had.

Unfortunately I don't think it's very likely any modern Wario game will ever capture that "edge", even if we got another Wario Land. Nintendo's sorta been softening all the rough edges of all it's Mario related stuff ever since the Wii era.

(Although, who knows, in a universe where Chris Pratt is gonna play Mario, Charlie Day is gonna play Luigi, and Seth Rogan is gonna play Donkey Kong, maybe that's about to change)

For me the reason was always obvious. Warioland started by taking over 2D Mario games and they released during the Era when Nintendo didn't released any new 2D Mario. Then Warioland ended roughly around the time when 2D Mario came back with the New Soup series. And even if WL Sales aren't to bad, they are incomparable to what New Soup makes even on its worse day. WL just lacks a trusted developer and as others already pointed out, they tried to find such a developer put none of the Wario platformers since then have really worked out.

It's crazy to think new super mario bros 2 on 3DS wasn't a Wario game... It was all about coin and money.

In the end, Nintendo made the best decision since it sold amazingly well, but still... a shame it was another 2D Mario.

Back