WL4: Finished High Quality Intro Song with all samples!

Btw, notice how I simulated WL4's "echoing" effect of the samples.
Not sure how the GBA does it, but I guess if you turn a sample into a midi instrument, it loops from a certain point, so for example the clip that goes "You wanna test it now?" repeats the "now" if you play it for longer than intended.

I tried to keep it as similar to the game's use as possible.

Btw, notice how I simulated WL4's "echoing" effect of the samples.
Not sure how the GBA does it, but I guess if you turn a sample into a midi instrument, it loops from a certain point, so for example the clip that goes "You wanna test it now?" repeats the "now" if you play it for longer than intended.

I tried to keep it as similar to the game's use as possible.

Do you mean that the GBA simulates reverb by overlapping a sample with its own copy at a slight time offset?

Wow, this sounds great! Surprised we could find all the original samples, but the end result is amazing nonetheless!

Do you mean that the GBA simulates reverb by overlapping a sample with its own copy at a slight time offset?
It's more of an echo than reverb. In some cases it makes the sample sound longer than it is as well. So a "Yeah" turns into a "Yea-eah-eah~"
What makes it less obvious is that it usually fades out while repeating.
But yes, it just repeats the end of the clip. I think how much it repeats depends on the sample.

I couldn't have done it without your help! :shokorashucks3:
Thanks to @Weario for the instrumental version I used!
Thanks to @PattehRose for finding the last missing samples!

AMAZING! The instrument I want the most is that classic "Deow" Bass, Im working on a games soundtrack rn and I would love nothing more than to put some HQ WL4 Instruments in there!

Here's the Wario Land 4 soundfont that I've modified with better instruments. Go nuts:

I've uploaded 2 versions. I forgot the differences between the two. Let me know if you find it so I can update the info file.

Here's the Wario Land 4 soundfont that I've modified with better instruments. Go nuts:

I've uploaded 2 versions. I forgot the differences between the two. Let me know if you find it so I can update the info file.
YES. Time to make the WL42 OST in HD. Also in the txt file, it does say that one file was replaced. Would you remember which one may have had it? Also as I am going through songs and I notice a song that doesn't sound familiar to me, I'll report it to you asap

The only real issue I have is direct sounds don't have necessary loops, like [20,2] and many others. As well as other sounds that have unnecessary looping, like the drum on C6 when you hold it for [128,2]. These both are applied for both soundfonts btw.

Also they aren't really properly named as @tahutoa 's soundfont is. You could really just copy the names from his and use those as the names perhaps

Last edited:
AMAZING! The instrument I want the most is that classic "Deow" Bass, Im working on a games soundtrack rn and I would love nothing more than to put some HQ WL4 Instruments in there!

The sample itself comes from where most of WL4's samples came from, being the Roland SOUND Canvas SC-8850, though you can also find the same sample in Omnisphere.

"Deow Bass"

I like it. I wanted to know what to call that distinct sound.
Well, to be fair, I couldn't think of anything that actually describes it other than that.
The only real issue I have is direct sounds don't have necessary loops, like [20,2] and many others. As well as other sounds that have unnecessary looping, like the drum on C6 when you hold it for [128,2]. These both are applied for both soundfonts btw.

Also they aren't really properly named as @tahutoa's soundfont is. You could really just copy the names from his and use those as the names perhaps
~ One Qwahter Dollar ~ - Google Drive ta daaaaa
The sample itself comes from where most of WL4's samples came from, being the Roland SOUND Canvas SC-8850, though you can also find the same sample in Omnisphere.
you wouldn't happen to know the name of the sample, would you :^)

"Deow Bass"

I like it. I wanted to know what to call that distinct sound.
Well, to be fair, I couldn't think of anything that actually describes it other than that.

Now that we're at it (sort of), do you also know how that specific dramatic synthesized drum sample is named that, for example, you can hear in the Song for Denise meme song?
I always called it, by lack of a better term, the "action movie drum", because you can hear this specific drum sound in almost every 70's to 90's action movie soundtrack in the same manner as many 80's pop bands used the orchestra hit, or early eurodance songs used synth drum and crash cymbal samples.

Now that we're at it (sort of), do you also know how that specific dramatic synthesized drum sample is named that, for example, you can hear in the Song for Denise meme song?
I always called it, by lack of a better term, the "action movie drum", because you can hear this specific drum sound in almost every 70's to 90's action movie soundtrack in the same manner as many 80's pop bands used the orchestra hit, or early eurodance songs used synth drum and crash cymbal samples.
You mean these?

Those are just called Synth Toms afaik

You mean these?

Those are just called Synth Toms afaik

The drums at 0:10 - 0:12 are close, but the best example of what I mean with the "action movie drum" would be the OST of Commando, which is full of this:

Don't tell me that those raw, dramatic drums in the beginning don't remind you of at least one movie soundtrack, not even necessarily one of the action genre, though they are certainly most prevalent here.

It should be noted however, that, much like with the orchestra hit, there's a considerable variation in the exact sound; in Commando, they sound a lot more natural than in most soundtracks, where they are somewhere in between a regular drum hit and the synth drum that can be heard from 0:13 to 0:17 in the video you provided.

The drums at 0:10 - 0:12 are close, but the best example of what I mean with the "action movie drum" would be the OST of Commando, which is full of this:

Don't tell me that those raw, dramatic drums in the beginning don't remind you of at least one movie soundtrack, not even necessarily one of the action genre, though they are certainly most prevalent here.

It should be noted however, that, much like with the orchestra hit, there's a considerable variation in the exact sound; in Commando, they sound a lot more natural than in most soundtracks, where they are somewhere in between a regular drum hit and the synth drum that can be heard from 0:13 to 0:17 in the video you provided.
Oh, that's probably either the sound has either been EQ'd or they're two sounds layered on top of each other. Chances are, they're probably entirely synthesized, because you can make something that sounds almost exactly like that in SubTractor by 1st taking a Sine Wave, applying a Negative LFO Envelope, mapping the LFO to pitch, then turning on Noise. From there, you'd simply mess with the filters a bit, then apply reverb.

Because it's an active synthesizer, the Noise generated would likely sound different on each hit, creating a sense of natural variation, though you could probably expand upon that by taking certain measures.

Oh, that's probably either the sound has either been EQ'd or they're two sounds layered on top of each other. Chances are, they're probably entirely synthesized, because you can make something that sounds almost exactly like that in SubTractor by 1st taking a Sine Wave, applying a Negative LFO Envelope, mapping the LFO to pitch, then turning on Noise. From there, you'd simply mess with the filters a bit, then apply reverb.

Because it's an active synthesizer, the Noise generated would likely sound different on each hit, creating a sense of natural variation, though you could probably expand upon that by taking certain measures.

Very interesting. I already thought it had something to do with multiple sounds being layered and having reverb added. I have played a lot of keyboards, but even the most sophisticated of them didn't have that drum sound, so that's what got me thinking it must've been something more complicated. (I'm talking about keyboards here, not synths, mind you.)

By the way, @tahutoa, have you ever used this drum sound, the synth tom, or the orchestra hit in any of your original compositions? 'Cause these are among the sound effects I loved the most on keyboards ever since I learnt to play and use the keyboard at school music class. They are not nearly heard as much in music nowadays as they used to, and I that's a bit of a shame, I think.
Same can be said about the Hammond organ, but luckily, there seems to be a bit of a resurgence of the latter in certain popular genres, which I, being a lover of the unique Hammond sound, as well as a lover of the organ in general, do appreciate. If only the same happened with the stock sounds of the classic synths...

Back