Anyone disappointed that Nintendo didn't use Wario characters...

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
For that Women's History Month thing?

I mean, I like some of the examples they did choose (Bombette from Paper Mario? That's actually a cool choice for a Mario character to use), but come on, the Wario series has basically led the way for strong female characters since Wario Land 1 back on Game Boy.

I mean, Captain Syrup is probably the best example of a female role model video game character there is. She fights Wario as a villain and does so most directly. She doesn't have a stereotypical female design or personality. She actually wins in at least one case (see Shake It's ending) and she leads a badass army of monsters that can conquer entire countries.

And from later in the series... Well, Tirarimisu/Terrormisu is possibly a good female character in that 'feminist' sense. Less so in the design sense, but still. Competent villain who previously conquered the world and managed to manipulate everyone in Master of Disguise (including both Wario himself and his equally savvy rivals).

Or how about some of the WarioWare cast? Mona's a great example of a female video game character done right. She has an interesting personality, actually does interesting things rather than ending up captured or anything and is pretty much everything some people would look for in a female fiction character.

Or Ashley. Definitely a non typical female character, even her theme song kind of says as much.

Or Penny Crygor. Or Kat and Ana. Or just about every female character from the series.

Shouldn't something like this show at least one or two characters from the one Nintendo series that pretty much always has decently written/interesting female characters?

What do you think?

i once thought of making a thread about the wario gaem's treatment of female characters but decided against it, part because i thought it would be blatantly ridiculous and reaching even by my pathetically low standards and part because the current culture war is really tedious and draining and i didn't want anything apparented to it come to a relatively peaceful board.

anyway, it's inoffensive PR fluff, but yeah, some wahrio representation would be nice.

I just checked it out. Kinda unfortuante there are only 7 places. There are so many more great female Nintendo characters.
What about Miss Jolene from TTYD? Or Goombella for that matter. (Paper Mario has a lot of good ones)
Heck, even Peach has some really great moments in the RPGs.
Nintendo has much more great female characters than people might think.

Though you can bet on Anita Sarkeesian to find SOME way to diminish their worth as characters.

I just checked it out. Kinda unfortuante there are only 7 places. There are so many more great female Nintendo characters.
What about Miss Jolene from TTYD? Or Goombella for that matter. (Paper Mario has a lot of good ones)
Heck, even Peach has some really great moments in the RPGs.
Nintendo has much more great female characters than people might think.

Though you can bet on Anita Sarkeesian to find SOME way to diminish their worth as characters.

You could replace the entire list with Paper Mario characters to be honest. I mean, you've got Bombette, Bow, Sushi, Watt, Goombella, Flurrie, Vivian and Mrs Mowz as good female characters from the partners list alone. Add NPCs like Jolene from Thousand Year Door, and the list quadruples.

Then again, same could go for Wario. Interestingly, there's pretty much only ever been one damsel in distress type character in the entire franchise; Queen Meralda from Shake It. Other examples are questionable (the one case Syrup got captured by that ghost in Wario Land II, which turned out to be a dream of sorts).

There's also Princess Shokora in Wario Land 4, but hey, being turned into a black cat/Mr Game & Watch style weapon using shapeshifter is pretty far from being helpless, isn't it? And that game had a female main villain to go with it...

You could replace the entire list with Paper Mario characters to be honest. I mean, you've got Bombette, Bow, Sushi, Watt, Goombella, Flurrie, Vivian and Mrs Mowz as good female characters from the partners list alone. Add NPCs like Jolene from Thousand Year Door, and the list quadruples.

Then again, same could go for Wario. Interestingly, there's pretty much only ever been one damsel in distress type character in the entire franchise; Queen Meralda from Shake It. Other examples are questionable (the one case Syrup got captured by that ghost in Wario Land II, which turned out to be a dream of sorts).

There's also Princess Shokora in Wario Land 4, but hey, being turned into a black cat/Mr Game & Watch style weapon using shapeshifter is pretty far from being helpless, isn't it? And that game had a female main villain to go with it...

Oh dang! How could I forget Vivian? Not only is she great as a female character but she's originally also a great LGBT character!

Maybe. The changed gender/LGBT stuff is ambiguous, even in the Japanese game (people are split over whether the comment supporting it is factual or just Beldum being a jerkass).

Maybe. The changed gender/LGBT stuff is ambiguous, even in the Japanese game (people are split over whether the comment supporting it is factual or just Beldum being a jerkass).
I think it's pretty obvious.
Vivian identifies as a girl but Beldam doesn't want to accept that and therefore she rubs it in. Her biological gender, that is.
It wouldn't make sense to me if she just used "boy" as a random insult.

I didn't hear about it myself. Makes me wonder if there are any interesting jokes or references in the Japanese tattle log...

I know I've harped on this several times around here, but Nintendo has always pushed anything Wario aside all the time. Whenever there is a new Wario game releasing, they're always like, "Oh yeah, and we've uh...got this new Wario game coming out. But who cares about that? Check out all these other games instead!"

At the end of the day, ask yourselves this: How excited do people actually get when they see anything Wario-related (especially WarioWare-related, for that matter) in any Nintendo media? I'm pretty sure the number of people who would sincerely respond with something more enthusiastic than "meh" is pretty low.
(This might sound familiar to some, but the point still stands)

I rarely hear people responding to Wario stuff with meh, most of the time I hear of fond memorys of older titles (pretty much anything from Land-Smooth Moves sans Master of Disguise) and "What?! There is a second DS Wario Ware/ Wii Wario Land? I didn't know that!".

It's not as if people randomly started to hate the series, it's just that Nintendo puts no effort into reminding people that it still exists, they prefer shoving Smash up your ass for the millionth time a day, because good forbid you don't think every second of your life of that fucking series.

Put someone like Ashley or Mona into a Mario game, I'm willing to bet that they are going to be well recieved.

NOA shits itself when it has to market anything that isn't Mario/Zelda/Smash. I don't think Wario is being singled out here : p.

Pretty much this, I actually made a similar comment in the "was Shake It a miracle" thread:

Most people don't know what team makes what game, because Nintendo aims for the general public, it's not like alphadream or similar studios get anymore push than SPD 1.

You can apply that to most Nintendo franchises as well, it's hardly a Wario exclusive problem, rather than Nintendo just beeing unbeliavably shitty in that regard.

Well yeah, I've been aware of that. A lot of their other franchises do bite the dust compared to their big ones half of the time. Even a lot of Mario games from those "lesser" studios hardly get shit compared to the platformers and Kart.
(Daisy and Wario's debut aside, they still don't want the SML games to be remembered either)

Lord knows how they're going to treat Star Fox Wii U after it's been announced at E3. Heck, they hardly made any fanfare out of Pikmin 3.

Back