Charles Martinet stepping away from voice acting

Glowsquid

Mental midget
Diamond City Leader
Nintendo of America just put up a message explaining Charles Martinet will no longer be doing voices for Mario games, including Mario, Wario & co.

The writing was on the wall with them moving to AI voices for those "Mario in real time" exhibits, but man, it still feels so sudden.

1692629672988.png

I think they did Charle's Martinet dirty unless he's making more money than he would voicing/still voicing mario for people on Nintendo's payroll in some way. This man had literally one dream/hope/asperation in life... to touch other people in a positive way with his voice and it would be a damn shame if he's lowkey unable to do that anymore despite them giving him this fancy new title. Like what does his new position even entail?

This news has genuinely saddened me.

Damn, this sucks. I'm sadly not surprised though, he's getting on a bit age wise and likely wanted to step back after struggling to voice his characters as well in titles like Luigi's Mansion 3. I feel like he thought it was best to step away now when the voices were still decent and he could train peope rather than wait until he literally couldn't voice them anymore.

After the last Nintendo Direct, people were pointing out that the voices sounded different in Super Mario Bros. Wonder and WarioWare: Move It. At the time, I wasn't sure about the Mario voice, but I definitely noticed that the Wario voice was different.

Don't know what happened behind the scenes, but it feels like voice actors are always getting screwed over or replaced.

Last edited:
Well shoot, I was thinking that the "Excellent!" in Move It!'s trailer was just a placeholder but now I do not know what this will mean for the game. It is going to be so sad if it comes out and he is no longer there as Wario, as I was really hoping for some more fully-voiced cutscenes like in Gold...

He will always be a legend!

Sad but not surprising. He's getting up there in age and I've felt like his Mario voice has sounded increasingly strained in more recent recordings.

View attachment 15011
I think they did Charle's Martinet dirty unless he's making more money than he would voicing/still voicing mario for people on Nintendo's payroll in some way. This man had literally one dream/hope/asperation in life... to touch other people in a positive way with his voice and it would be a damn shame if he's lowkey unable to do that anymore despite them giving him this fancy new title. Like what does his new position even entail?

This news has genuinely saddened me.
Took another look at this article and Martinet also does follow up with this: ‘‘If someday I think I am no longer capable of doing it, I will tell Nintendo to look into finding someone else.’’

So maybe he just feels like can't do the voices as well as he'd liked to?

Back