[DEAD] Wario Land 3 Hack Project

That there, is a very good point, and I'll see if I can get my Informatics Teacher to help me with that.
The editor doesn't really provide a way for level importing.
But the graphics must be editable with some other program
I'll look into that

Well, if there is one thing I've learned is: you can't actually work on a game with multiple people without a director.
You see, you need someone to keep everyone working on a job, such as creating a stage, creating text, names, music.
If you don't have a director, people may (or may not) start working on a stage without knowing someone else is ACTUALLY already working on it, do you understand what I mean? There needs to be someone to be like: yes, someone is already working on that/ that thing is already done, or no, that's not done yet/ being worked on.
You have a good point there. Well, I might be a director on this. Do we need multiple directors though?

I tried to register at romhacking.net in order to contact Drenn, but I can't find "Who is the third moderator listed in the News Item at the top of this page?"
What I need to answer in order to make an account.

Last edited:
Oh, I just tryed out YY-CHR, the program for rom graphics editing.
I opened the Wario Land 3 ROM in it, and I was able to find the place where the level name graphics are stored.
However, the graphics data in the ROM is very un organized.
Lunar Magic could easily extract graphics from Super Mario World, and make it usable for editing.
But here, I think it would be extremly hard to edit the graphics, unless we find a program that can extarct/import the rom graphics

That was secretly my plan all along ;)
You two would make a great duo!

Well then, perhaps we can do that :)
Gotta know what other people think of that thought :p

On a different note, I think I'll start working on some of your puzzles, see what I can make of em.
Nice :)
But remember, the real development hasn't started yet, we're all just learning the tools and making some plans right now

I realised that this project will probably spoil a lot for me, because I haven't actually ever 100%ed Wario Land 3 yet :p (That is, I found all the treasures, but never actually got the music coins)
356, could you send me your rom? The one you made the 1-1 spinoff in? I think I could learn from it :rolleyes:

Ok, so I just came to relize: I suck at puzzles.

Do you mean those level ideas of his? Because I think those were actually quite straight-forward :p

Does anyone know why this happens? I only used 4032 and 4CB4 blocks. I really don't know what I did wrong at the moment :/

That's why I want to try out one of your masterful puzzles full of masterful masterfulness.
Thank you :)

And here's a result of some level name editing.
Keep in mind, this isn't text, these are graphics that a person has to draw within the graphics editor

Unedited:

YYCHR_zpsb4ce9b5b.png

Edited:

YYCHR2_zpse284aaf7.png

How it looks in the game:

YYCHR3_zpsc52d31d2.png

YYCHR4_zps370241cb.png

I'll look into a better way of editing graphics later.

The next thing I plan to do (I'll do it tomorrow if I get the chance) is try the Text Editor. Althought we can not modify the cutscenes, by editing the text, we can kind of change the story, and I do have kind of an idea for an alternate story.

Hint:
This happened before, but in the different world

Also, a possible name for the hack:
Wario Land 3: Adventures In The Music Box

Thank you :)

And here's a result of some level name editing.
Keep in mind, this isn't text, these are graphics that a person has to draw within the graphics editor

Unedited:

YYCHR_zpsb4ce9b5b.png

Edited:

YYCHR2_zpse284aaf7.png

How it looks in the game:

YYCHR3_zpsc52d31d2.png

YYCHR4_zps370241cb.png

I'll look into a better way of editing graphics later.

The next thing I plan to do (I'll do it tomorrow if I get the chance) is try the Text Editor. Althought we can not modify the cutscenes, by editing the text, we can kind of change the story, and I do have kind of an idea for an alternate story.

Hint:
This happened before, but in the different world

Also, a possible name for the hack:
Wario Land 3: Adventures In The Music Box
Oh, that's cool! So we can easily do something interesting with the level names then.

I realised that this project will probably spoil a lot for me, because I haven't actually ever 100%ed Wario Land 3 yet :p (That is, I found all the treasures, but never actually got the music coins)
356, could you send me your rom? The one you made the 1-1 spinoff in? I think I could learn from it :rolleyes:

Do you mean those level ideas of his? Because I think those were actually quite straight-forward :p

Does anyone know why this happens? I only used 4032 and 4CB4 blocks. I really don't know what I did wrong at the moment :/

Course I can send you that, please send me yours, I'll look into it.

I'm done for today, I'll be back tomorrow, while I try to come up with a puzzle during the night.

Reactions: 607
Back