Favourite and least favourite boss battles in the Wario Land series?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
I'm gonna include World and Master of Disguise here too, so if you like/dislike any bosses from those games, they're fine to include too.

For me, my favourites have to be the Wario Land 4 bosses and the final one in Shake It for their interesting attack patterns and setups, while my least favourite has to be the second boss from Wario Land 1, which was trivially easy and really boring as a result of that.

But what about you?

Favorite: Spoiled Rotten. Not really because they're any difficult or have an interesting moveset but because it scares the living SHIT out of you. Moment i saw that it forced me to change all of my views on WL4 being a traditional platformer.
(Also Rudy, because they're cool as shit and I love killer clowns.)

I don't really have any I dislike I feel like they're all enjoyable and unique.

Favorite: Spoiled Rotten. Not really because they're any difficult or have an interesting moveset but because it scares the living SHIT out of you. Moment i saw that it forced me to change all of my views on WL4 being a traditional platformer.
(Also Rudy, because they're cool as shit and I love killer clowns.)

I don't really have any I dislike I feel like they're all enjoyable and unique.

Honestly, Wario Land 4's bosses in general were incredible in their disturbing designs. Like, usually a platformer boss is somewhat goofy or cartoony with a bit of menace (especially in the likes of Mario or Donkey Kong games), but the Wario Land 4 ones looked like super pissed off monsters that just wanted you dead.

Spoiled_Rotten_Wario_Land_4.png

Catbat_WL4.png

I genuinely don't think there are bad bosses in Wario games, just some of them are head scratchers/tough on the first go/annoying that losing makes you have to go through so much of the level again to face them.
I notoriously underappreciate Wario Land Shake It but even their bosses are pretty good.
I would have to say my least favorite is Cractus's doppelganger Bloomsday (but the play on the world doomsday is funny) and only getting the least favorit title for literally copying Cractus to the T.
I would have to say my favorite bosses in the franchise are any one of the Wario World Bosses. They are all hillarious/creepy and I derive immense satisfaction from piledriving their faces through the floor.
Strong picks on favorites form CM30 and Arle Nadja. Spoiled Rotten legit disturbed me as a teen. Shake King was the highlight of Shake It for me (music did this fight NO justice tho). Rudy gave me a similar feeling of dread and epicness but had way cooler music.

I genuinely don't think there are bad bosses in Wario games, just some of them are head scratchers/tough on the first go/annoying that losing makes you have to go through so much of the level again to face them.
I notoriously underappreciate Wario Land Shake It but even their bosses are pretty good.
I would have to say my least favorite is Cractus's doppelganger Bloomsday (but the play on the world doomsday is funny) and only getting the least favorit title for literally copying Cractus to the T.
I would have to say my favorite bosses in the franchise are any one of the Wario World Bosses. They are all hillarious/creepy and I derive immense satisfaction from piledriving their faces through the floor.
Strong picks on favorites form CM30 and Arle Nadja. Spoiled Rotten legit disturbed me as a teen. Shake King was the highlight of Shake It for me (music did this fight NO justice tho). Rudy gave me a similar feeling of dread and epicness but had way cooler music.

Oh Wario World's bosses are great. Probably helps the game is by Treasure, and comprised of like, 70% boss fights in general.

The Shake King's music is definitely a weird choice too. Phase 1's is pretty good, but phase 2's feels way too calm for the epic battle going on at the time, and it's kinda strange they went with that.

Honestly, Wario Land 4's bosses in general were incredible in their disturbing designs. Like, usually a platformer boss is somewhat goofy or cartoony with a bit of menace (especially in the likes of Mario or Donkey Kong games), but the Wario Land 4 ones looked like super pissed off monsters that just wanted you dead.

Spoiled_Rotten_Wario_Land_4.png

Catbat_WL4.png
hard agree! Wario games as a whole had this really uncanny and scary, almost horror-esque atmosphere to a lot of it which I feel like really made it stand out from how childlike a lot of other platformers during it's era were (especially because in WL4 the bosses were just straight up gorey, or at least as gorey as it could get for an E rated game). I have really comfortable memories of playing stuff like WarioWorld, WL4, WarioWare etc on my GameCube with the GBA player and just wondering what the fuck I was playing lol. It felt like each Wario game was truly stretching what they could even get away with when it came to being E rated and that really inspired me as a kid

hard agree! Wario games as a whole had this really uncanny and scary, almost horror-esque atmosphere to a lot of it which I feel like really made it stand out from how childlike a lot of other platformers during it's era were (especially because in WL4 the bosses were just straight up gorey, or at least as gorey as it could get for an E rated game). I have really comfortable memories of playing stuff like WarioWorld, WL4, WarioWare etc on my GameCube with the GBA player and just wondering what the fuck I was playing lol. It felt like each Wario game was truly stretching what they could even get away with when it came to being E rated and that really inspired me as a kid

100% agree there. Like Wario World is a deeply disturbing game boss/character design wise, but that makes it stand out even now. And the bosses in 4 were definitely pushing what they could get away with there.

Yeah that scariness imo contributed a lot to what makes Wario Land a punk platformer. I don't play wario games to play cookie cutters. I play wario games to push creativity and what Nintendo will allow to the limits.

Yeah that scariness imo contributed a lot to what makes Wario Land a punk platformer. I don't play wario games to play cookie cutters. I play wario games to push creativity and what Nintendo will allow to the limits.

Exactly! Wario Land games are about having creative and unique themes for things like levels and bosses, not reusing the same old cliches every other platformer goes with.
And this point about Bloomsday/Scumflower is also perhaps one reason it's the least exciting Shake It boss too. Look at the others. They're all at least somewhat unique for the area they're in.

Rollenratl: It's a semi futuristic robot holding up the ceiling of an ancient temple. Not the most super original, but the way the concept is done very much is.
Hot Roderick: No one expects the Mario version of the Stig from Top Gear.
Chortlebot: A giant flying robot clown head with a flamethrower. That's a really cool (and creepy) concept
Bloomsday/Scumflower: It's a giant flower/plant in a jungle area
Large Fry: A chef duck riding around in a frying pan/wok... yeah, this guy is strange and very Wario Land esque

Even the Shake King turns out to be able to fly and shoot lightning bolts and laser beams, which is very unexpected for a viking/pirate overlord.

But yeah, the best bosses are very much 'what the fuck is this' kinda deals. Usually ones that fit the theme of the area but not in the way you expect them to.

100% Wario games are all about those WHAT THE FUCK moments. One of the only game series where I can never accurately predict what is going to end up happening and I think it would be much much better if they decided to keep it that way. But I definitely agree with you @CM30 the bosses even Rollenratl got me juiced, I love when the boss is the entire screen I wont lie. Those kinds of battles always intimidate me in a good way. I just feel like giant flower bosses are very much overdone except lava pirahna from paper mario, that was awesome. Cractus was pretty cool just because its so creepy.

Back