Gaming trends you miss

Magma

Oldhead
Diamond City Leader
This is a thread for different trends throughout gaming history that aren't really done anymore that you miss.

I for one, miss seeing all the different controller designs that existed.
rjZ0pqo.jpg

Nowadays, it seems most controllers gravitate around the designs laid down by the PS2 and Xbox 360. It's fine, I mean if it ain't broke don't fix it and these controller designs work well. But I guess I just miss seeing all the different variations that existed and gave each controller a console a unique feel, even if some of these designs are just plain awful.

The cartridge compilations! Like, "90 games in 1" sort of thing. Thanks to one of them, I discorvered Adventure Island and Dr. Mario.
But I never really joined this, I would always buy official games. The ones I have were from my sister or my cousin.

Startup animations. I've know they've always existed, but for awhile, most consoles starting from the fifth generation up until the seventh generation had a really neat animation that's used for the startup.
And while they're pretty unecessary as a whole, they still look either really cool or really charming.

Seriously these look really cool, and it sucks that we hardly get these neat animations anymore.

Startup animations. I've know they've always existed, but for awhile, most consoles starting from the fifth generation up until the seventh generation had a really neat animation that's used for the startup.
And while they're pretty unecessary as a whole, they still look either really cool or really charming.

Seriously these look really cool, and it sucks that we hardly get these neat animations anymore.

Well, now we have main menus, which I like a lot more, but that shouldn't mean that they have to forget about those animations! It's charming touch that is sadly overlooked.

YEEEEES. I totally agree!

Wish we had a bit more creativity when it comes to box art or just instructional booklets in general. Sometimes you'd get a cool comic in some form when you bought games especially with F-Zero. Sometimes instructional booklets give you a bit of backstory to the game which is just a neat thing to have. You even got promotional art in some of these booklets in which you wouldn't have gotten to see in the actual game

snes-chrono-trigger-manual-02.jpg
mzm_04.jpg
SMW.jpg
manual12.jpg

I miss instruction manuals in general. Seriously, the kind of stuff you got in Donkey Kong Country's manuals or the Wario series manuals was amazing, yet the move towards digital downloads has completely killed that altogether. Bring back the quotes from Cranky Kong in the instruction book already!

Look at the fancy box. Look at the size of this instruction manual. You don't think they would have gone to all this trouble if the game was any good, do you?!

So let's see what nonsense they've made up for this game, shall we? Hmm... well, I have to hand it to them. This time they've managed to come up with a decent storyline that doesn't involve the usual golden bananas. Only joking kids! This one's worse than all the previous efforts put together! I know you probably aren't expecting a best seller, but wait till you hear this load of rubbish...

Elsewhere in Gloomy Galleon, you'll find a hulking structure that's a bit dim and doesn't work. Yes, I know you already know about Chunky, but this is also true of a eerie lighthouse. Let's see if you can get them both working and be of some use.

When before Nintendo made virtual console and everbody followed suit, yoi could find old games within games, Like SA DX or Animal Crossing.
Now i gotta wait for an IP's anniversary or a compilation disc of sorts which are still great but it doesn't have that same charm since its like a 60 dollar emulator as oppose to the tremendous joy of finding baloon fight and putting it on display in my AC home.

I miss instruction manuals in general. Seriously, the kind of stuff you got in Donkey Kong Country's manuals or the Wario series manuals was amazing, yet the move towards digital downloads has completely killed that altogether. Bring back the quotes from Cranky Kong in the instruction book already!

It is a good thing that you still get a -digital- manual when buying from the 3DS Virtual Console, though these aren't nearly as good as the paper ones. And they are only good in English. In my native language, Dutch all you get is something like: Page 1: Health and Safety. Page 2: Very basic controls. Page 3: Contact Us.

When you bought the game and it was the whole thing; no DLC, no season pass etc.
Don't get me wrong, some DLC is pretty cool (Mario Kart 8 and Animal Crossing New Leaf are examples), although I do kinda miss when the initial game was the whole thing.

One of the coolest things offered in the early 2000's to mid 2000's around there were demo discs. Sometimes within a game even you'd get a demo for another game, when I bought ZoE it came with a demo for Son's of Liberty it was one of the best things especially in like 2001 or 2002 where there still wasn't enough game exposure on the net so this was a great way to find out if you'd enjoy a game or not.

Started and ended with Sonic but i miss the days when tons of games had a sort of tomagotchi type mode in there.

While not having the handheld VMU to play it on an LCD screen, I can think of two games where you can capture monsters, raise them and even add them to your team to help you through dungeons. You can do so in Rune Factory and also Time Stalkers for Dreamcast. There are probly others but those are the two I know : p
You can feed them and brush them (at least in Rune Factory) and raise your friendship level with them.

Speaking of the Dreamcast, Im surprised the VMU idea never caught on with anybody else, that was such a cool feature, having the little screen on your controller, and being able to take it out and play mini games from the games you own on it. Wish others had done that too.

I miss handhelds/ controllers with transparent cases so you can see all the gross innards, and wonder how in the heck that giant cookie crumb got stuck inside there.

I liked it when they did that with consoles too, we grew up with a transparent green N64 : p
Nintendo was so cool with console designs up until the Wii, as much as I love the Wii, I dont care for the console design.

I think thats what I miss the most, cool console designs. I hate the sleek look they all have now.

Also I hate all the electronics they have on them now, like touch sensitive buttons over just the standard buttons, all that adds onto is easily broken consoles. Id rather just have the simple little plastic button.

Back