Has this been a bad generation for Wario?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
No Wario game at all on the 3DS, Game & Wario instead of a real WarioWare title on the Wii U, Wario platformers nowhere to be seen and his representation in Smash Bros being pretty mediocre at the same time.

That's pretty disappointing given how good the DS and Wii was for the guy. I mean, that at least one full blown Wario Land title, lots of WarioWare games, lots of spinoff/cameo appearances and heck, even marked Wario's introduction as a playable character in Super Smash Bros.

But what do you think? Has this been a bad generation for the Wario series?

Compared to the last two generations of Nintendo consoles, definitely. I'm still hopeful that we'll get something or other on the NX or even smartphones - WarioWare would be a perfect fit for the latter.

Well it is certainly not the ¨golden era¨ of the Wario games. That were the early 2000's, when 7 games came out in just 5 years:

Wario Land 3 (2000)
Wario Land 4 (2001)
WarioWare: Mega Microgame$ (2003)
Wario World (2003)
WarioWare: Mega Party Game$ (2003)
WarioWare Twisted! (2004)
WarioWare Touched! (2004)

The year 2002 was the only Warioless year. Now, we have many Warioless years.

I'd say lackluster would be my way to describe this generation for Wario, there was at least one game released this gen, which is something a lot of franchises would be glad to have and there were also some real gems as far as Wa content in other games is concerned, such as the MP10 amiibo board or RhythmWare.

The lack of a new Wario plattformer or a new proper WarioWare was a real bummer and Smash 4 was pretty much just dissapontment upon dissapointment when it comes to Wario (if nothing else it at least made me appreciate Brawl a lot more), so it certainly wasn't a good gen for Wario by any means, but I still wouldn't call it downright awful.

Hm, I keep forgetting the Wario franchise is still considered alive. Honestly, I'd call it as dead as the Lemmings franchise. Occasionally a game gets released that's mediocre at best, and even though it has a decent fanbase, it doesn't receive a lot of attention.

It's alive until we get no Wario games, and no references to Wario games outide of them (like no Ashley badges in Badge Arcade).

I'd say lackluster would be my way to describe this generation for Wario, there was at least one game released this gen, which is something a lot of franchises would be glad to have and there were also some real gems as far as Wa content in other games is concerned, such as the MP10 amiibo board or RhythmWare.

The lack of a new Wario plattformer or a new proper WarioWare was a real bummer and Smash 4 was pretty much just dissapontment upon dissapointment when it comes to Wario (if nothing else it at least made me appreciate Brawl a lot more), so it certainly wasn't a good gen for Wario by any means, but I still wouldn't call it downright awful.

True, there are a few more references, which is nice. But come on, Luigi's Mansion got both a ton of references AND a brand new, interesting game. Couldn't Wario do the same? Donkey Kong gets Tropical Freeze, Luigi get Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, Yoshi gets Yoshi's Woolly World... and Wario gets stuck with Game & Wario.

(like no Ashley badges in Badge Arcade).

Like that'll ever happen. It might be the worst generation for Wario, but 'worst' as in not so bad. At least we got one Wario game, F-zero would KILL for one game.

We also got lot's of Ashley content, which means Wario's still got some representation going on.

It's definitely Wario's most dismal generation since his inception. Granted, all I really care about is getting more Wario Land games and getting Wario's shoulder charge in Super Smash Bros. Anything less than that may as well be nothing in my eyes.

I think that while people like Game & Wario and WarioWare, Wario actually isn't so important in it. There's hardly anybody with Wario as their favourite character, they all prefer 9-Volt, or Mona, or Ashley.
Really, if they'd cut Wario from the roster the games would still largely have the same feel, I think, honestly. Wario's only on his best in Wario Land, in my opinion.

No Wario game at all on the 3DS, Game & Wario instead of a real WarioWare title on the Wii U, Wario platformers nowhere to be seen and his representation in Smash Bros being pretty mediocre at the same time.

That's pretty disappointing given how good the DS and Wii was for the guy. I mean, that at least one full blown Wario Land title, lots of WarioWare games, lots of spinoff/cameo appearances and heck, even marked Wario's introduction as a playable character in Super Smash Bros.

But what do you think? Has this been a bad generation for the Wario series?

It certainly hasn't been a good one.

I think that while people like Game & Wario and WarioWare, Wario actually isn't so important in it. There's hardly anybody with Wario as their favourite character, they all prefer 9-Volt, or Mona, or Ashley.
Really, if they'd cut Wario from the roster the games would still largely have the same feel, I think, honestly. Wario's only on his best in Wario Land, in my opinion.
I can see where you're coming from, but on your former point, I disagree to an extent. WarioWare by itself isn't a deep and introspective series, but it has a great charm to it. Wario's greediness actually adds to what little dialogue and personalization there is. His stories are usually the wackiest and he does get a good amount of screen time. His stuff is usually some of the only dialogue that makes me laugh hard as well, compared to other characters.

Wario himself as a character is definitely better in the Land series. Ware gives him a quirky side to his personality that I feel like helps shape the games overall. Removing him from Ware would be more of a detriment than not.

Back