How could Nintendo 'revive' the Wario Land series?

To change what mobile gamers expect, someone has to put something out there that takes the first step. I would like to believe that someday mobile games can be held to higher standards.

The big Japanese publishers have been trying to do "premium games" that since the mobile game industry exploded and they've never been achieve anything more than niche success. Super Mario Run is only the latest in a string of a dissapointments. Fact is, the average smartphone user doesn't want to pay *any* amount for a video game, much less the bigger upfront cost needed to make more complex games with high-production values viable, and the ones willing are not gaming on smartphones.

I think they should refine the transformation mechanic from Warioland 2-4. I've thought about it for a few days and had some ideas:

1.) Transformation only by enemies:
  • Keeping transformation restricted allows for better puzzle areas. It becomes a challenge of 'how can I use it to get there' instead of 'what do i need and how do i use it', making them more accessible for new player.
( This areas can also be used to teach players advanced techniques for certain transformations. )
  • Transformations can be more powerful since they can't be used everywhere, making them feel more special.

2.) Give the player the ability to cancel transformations

( Make the effect of transformations last until the player cancels it with a button press or until he gets hit by water, fire or enemies. )
  • Making a mistake during a puzzle doesn't wastes your time. Just cancel it and try again. Avoids unnecessary frustration if you know how to solve the puzzle and messed up the execution.
  • Transformations can be used in combat. For example: Flat-Wario normally can't change back on his own. Now you could have a boss you sneak past, transform back and attack a weakpoint.
(Also: In Warioland4's final fight against Golden Diva you have to use the Spring transformation as attack)

Timing the cancelation shouldn't be necessary. You could create challenges by adding new mechanics or changing existing ones:
  • If Wario gets flattens, he also gets pushed through thin platforms. This combination can be used for new puzzles.
  • Air currents change the way Wario hovers as Flat-Wario, improving or hindering his maneuverability.
  • Fat-Wario rolls down slopes like Snow-Wario, restricting where you can go as Fat-Wario while providing new ways of interaction.
    • Fat-Wario and Snow-Wario are pretty much the same after that. They're only different by the climate they are available in.

With restricted transformation I mean that Wario only changes through minions and not on his own. I think it's a bad idea to give the player access to transformation at any moment.
'Wario: Master of Disquise' had that and I think they had to limit the power of transformations so they won't break the game.
You still can have multiple transformations in each level, but they are only accessible in certain areas of the map. (like puzzle rooms in Warioland4)

Timing the cancelation shouldn't be necessary. You could create challenges by adding new mechanics or changing existing ones:
  • If Wario gets flattens, he also gets pushed through thin platforms. This combination can be used for new puzzles.
  • Air currents change the way Wario hovers as Flat-Wario, improving or hindering his maneuverability.
  • Fat-Wario rolls down slopes like Snow-Wario, restricting where you can go as Fat-Wario while providing new ways of interaction.
    • Fat-Wario and Snow-Wario are pretty much the same after that. They're only different by the climate they are available in.

With restricted transformation I mean that Wario only changes through minions and not on his own. I think it's a bad idea to give the player access to transformation at any moment.
'Wario: Master of Disquise' had that and I think they had to limit the power of transformations so they won't break the game.
You still can have multiple transformations in each level, but they are only accessible in certain areas of the map. (like puzzle rooms in Warioland4)

Well, Wario's transformations aren't even "transformations", they're humiliating status effects/predicaments that either help or hinder. Being able to just cure yourself from scorching flames at the press of a button would completely demean their substance, and destroy any element of punishment for the player's mistakes. It would be like playing a game in "god mode". If Wario can just stop being an undead zombie any time he likes, it'll have no context, and degrade his bodily mishaps into optional Kirby abilities.

We shouldn't need to mollycoddle new or impatient players by bastardising innovative mechanics. Everything can be resolved through the level design and other elements.

Last edited:
Yeah, canceling Fire-Wario and Zombie-Wario probably isn't a good idea. Also Frozen-Wario and Bubble-Wario.
Maybe that wasn't such a good idea to begin with. If you need to turn back to Normal-Wario just add something to do that.
I have to agree with you. (But calling it bastardising was a bit harsh. Something like "simplifying" would have been nice.)

I used to describe Wario's status effects as transformation because it obvious what i mean by that.

Yeah, canceling Fire-Wario and Zombie-Wario probably isn't a good idea. Also Frozen-Wario and Bubble-Wario.
Maybe that wasn't such a good idea to begin with. If you need to turn back to Normal-Wario just add something to do that.
I have to agree with you. (But calling it bastardising was a bit harsh. Something like "simplifying" would have been nice.)

I used to describe Wario's status effects as transformation because it obvious what i mean by that.

You were definitely right to consider how quickly players become turned off and impatient today. It's very hard to keep them invested in an intricate puzzle/platformer game like Wario Land nowadays, so rather than sacrifice challenge, we'd need to add as much intrigue as possible, and keep the player constantly baited and hooked.
All the game elements need to achieve this (from environmental aesthetics, to music/sounds) so the player has a constant urge to see what's around the next corner, rather than lose enthusiasm and go play a simpler Mario game.

Makes me wonder if mobile "gaming" will always just be a stagnant crop of cashgrabbing. It is interesting to see how it exemplifies the modern world's very fast burning trends.

Î don't think Wario's games are too complex. If the game itself is interesting and compelling in gameplay and presentation, the player will gladly try to solve the problems he or she will encounter.
(As long as the challenges are well designed and the player is properly informed about the mechanics so that these challenges can be solved)

Maybe Wario's stories have to feel more "impressive".
He's the guy who steals treasures from pirates. And later steals back the treasure the same pirates stole from him, which were probably stolen by him.
The guy who gets stuck in a musicbox, collects treasures in hope of escaping while unknowingly releasing a demon from his prison.
The guy who enters a ancient pyramid for treasures, fights an tyrannic ghost who ruled the area and allows a restless spirit to enter the afterlife.
> In my opinions that are pretty good stories.

Last edited:
Yeah usually Wario plots are about him and treasure but later reveal themselves to be more than that. A lot of the time Wario accidentally becomes the hero to some plot he (and the audience) wasn't aware of.

Wario Land is a series about treasure hunting, but one thing it never does is encourage players to track down optional treasure. Most new players aren't going to get into the spirit of the thing, they're more likely to stay on the beaten path, and skip the valuables not needed to progress.

I really want to see some actual encouragement to hunt for treasure, so people will go out of their way to find the goods, and not treat it like a linear Mario game.
Give Wario more character in relation to the treasure. Have grubby old documents and maps hinting a path to zombie-guarded tombs, include charming little cut-scenes of Wario polishing the grime off artifacts that are entrenched in mud or concealed underground. Feature a pricing system for each treasure (like the original Wario Land did). Any little thing to add more character is infinitely better than just having hollow, arbitrary items to collect. Make players feel excited and invested in the thrill of the hunt!

a5738d1ecbf9fc9f518967ae43ed0df5.jpg

Last edited:
One thing I didn't like about being required to find all 4 treasures in Wario Land 4 was that if I missed one, I'd need to repeat the whole level over again. So I was always a little paranoid that I missed something.
The ramifications for missing a treasure should be minimal if the treasures are made mandatory to collect. If the player misses something, the level design should lead him to it.
This is rather difficult to do in most instances from what I've seen in some games. In older games in general, it felt natural yet still challenging. In a lot of newer games it feels rather hand-holdy which is not what we want for Wario Land.

They can just convey at the beginning without spoiling it that there's different endings to encourage players to explore.
In VBWL you see the treasures sorrounding the vault which is your end goal, Then the first level makes it easy to find the lucky cat treasure but its obvious you only need the key.
I'm sure a similiar technique could do the trick.

Back