How is Wario Land 3 compared to the other games?

Ah, okay. Funny enough, you're not the only person to have complained about Shake It being disappointing from a game design perspective. Something like that was on Waluigious too.

But out of curiosity, could you expand on your thoughts about the game? Maybe in another topic?

Because I'd love to see some thoughts on the game design of a... somewhat average game rather than a great one.

Ah, okay. Funny enough, you're not the only person to have complained about Shake It being disappointing from a game design perspective.

Yeah, I think I've rambled about it extensively on another topic, but in case people haven't read it:
The thing that bothered me about the level design was that it always felt like the game was trying to troll me.
"Oh, you chose the bottom path? WELL GUESS WHAT, ASSHOLE, YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO TAKE THE TOP PATH AND NOW YOU CAN'T GET BACK SO FUCK YOU! PLAY THIS SLOW, WAY TOO LONG AND NOT VERY FUN MINIGAME-LEVEL AGAIN!"

I mean just tell me how many times you dropped down a hole, only to land at the bottom and learn that you should've done a ground pound from the top but there was no way of knowing that before so now you gotta play it again if you want the treasure.
You might think, "Ok, then I'll just always do a ground pound when I fall down a hole, right?" No, I'm pretty sure, (tho I can't prove it right now, since I don't remember the exact location) that there's one place where you can miss the treasure if you DO perform a ground pound.
In general there are a ton of things that you can easily mess up if it's your first time playing and then can never retry unless you replay the level.

It's stuff like that that just isn't fun. Kirby was guilty of stuff like that for a long time, fortunately they have dropped that bullshit in recent games and all the puzzles are fair.

There's also the stupid motion control segments with the vehicles but that's technically not part of the level design.
There are probably more subtle aspects that make the levels less fun to play through but this is the one that I always remember hating.

TREASURE! TREASURE! TREASURE!
MONEY! MONEY! MONEY! MONEY!
latest

This artifact is worth... $15,99 at your local gardening supply store!
$15.99 that's way too expensive.

Main problem with Shake It is waiting so many years to get a new WL and we get a not as good version of the WL4 style.
Oh and only 1 ending!!! Multiple endings are a staple of the series but all i get is a golden room!

I guess we can say WarioLand 3 is great compared to Shake It.

• Agree
Reactions: 607
But out of curiosity, could you expand on your thoughts about the game? Maybe in another topic?

I wrote about Shake Dimension a few years ago here and here. As I said at the time, the comments are a bit rough, but they certainly capture my impression of the game. In brief:

• Wario reverts back to Wario Land 1 mechanics
  • Most of the interesting interactions come from the motion controls
  • Most of the motion control mechanics are pretty dynamic (the aiming, tilting)
  • ...but shaking is pretty static
  • The Max Fastosity Dashelerator puts a lot of stress on reaction skills
  • It's particularly troublesome in the second half of the levels (the post fold) where areas which require the MFD dash to access special areas with optional treasures can easily be missed...
  • ...and the level design tends to easily lock players out of these areas if they miss the already pretty tight jumping windows. So this design encourages the player to memorise and repeat level layouts, rather than scale the game's difficulty with their own skill. If you want to 100% this game, then get ready for a lot of needless trial and error.
  • Actually, the levels tend to lock the player out of various areas with minimal notice in general.
  • Generally, the levels are more simple and less creative than in Wario Land 4.

I'm going by memory here, so take it as you will.

• Agree
Reactions: 607
Actually, the levels tend to lock the player out of various areas with minimal notice in general.
That's why they have that checkpoint before the goal cage thingy. They know the player is gonna mess up (through no fault of their own) so they give them the option to reload. But that breaks the pace of the game and if the level is very difficult you're gonna have to reload a lot and ugh.... it doesn't feel like you're just trying to escape, it feels more like you're trying to... I dunno... trying to learn a speedrum, in the sense that you need to learn the perfect way to navigate through a level without making any mistakes.

Part of me kinda wants to go through WL4 again and see how many things you can really irreversibly screw up the way you can in Shake it.

Back