I hate when they say...

-Every time someone goes on a spiel about "how it's not about graphics, it's about fun", as if you weren't responding to something that doesn't really exist and as if good visual design and "gameplay" aren't inextricably tied. Bonus point if there's a completely bogus implication grafx dick-waving somehow didn't exist during prior generations.
r
Nothing i hate more than those who say it wasn't about graphics back then, it was MORE about graphics back then, i mean look at the ads. hell the bit wars. Plus there was no classic gaming back then.

Remember when all changing the cartridge did was switch around the collision detection and you had to tape overlays to the TV screen? Back when gaming was fun!

I'm a rambling, gaming dude!

Hahaha. It's true. I do sound like a bitter old man in some of my posts. Truth is, I just have a love-hate relationship with video game culture. It's because I grew up with all types of games and amusements, so I hate to see the world leave that stuff behind in the dust and only indulge in technology.

Remember when all changing the cartridge did was switch around the collision detection and you had to tape overlays to the TV screen? Back when gaming was fun!

Hahaha, I kinda wonder if anyone who grew up with the Odyssey and all that junk ever actually made comments like that back when the NES came out : p
Would be funny to hear someone make that argument, haha. I mean Im all about not caring the level of technology when it comes to video games or whatever, but like there is a certain extent to that : p

I think graphics were perfect with like the Gamecube/PS2/Xbox era. After that Ive pretty much stopped caring about graphics : p We had pretty 3d graphics that didnt clip or look messy, I kinda felt like we reached the dream at that point and had no reason to really care anymore : p I always feel weird when people talk about how amazing the graphics are these days, cuz to me its like no longer an issue, like who cares now? : p Theyve looked fine for over a decade, haha. I dont think thats an important factor in todays games.

Hahaha, I kinda wonder if anyone who grew up with the Odyssey and all that junk ever actually made comments like that back when the NES came out : p
Would be funny to hear someone make that argument, haha. I mean Im all about not caring the level of technology when it comes to video games or whatever, but like there is a certain extent to that : p

I distinctly remember reading a comtemporary usenet post of someone complaining SNES and Genesis games don't have the "fun" and "soul" of Atari 2600 games

I think theres a difference of the changing of technology and video games when it comes to just the aesthetic part of video games, and how games are actually played. I often complain about todays gaming world, but its not because theyre too "advanced", or whatever. I kinda feel like the new focus on video games has taken away from gaming in general. Pretty much all video games are released on both major consoles, making the choice between the two pretty much unnecessary other than whos controller you like better. And many games are made with online playability being a big part of the focus, or the major focus in general. And I also hate having to continually buy things for ONE game that I had bought just weeks ago. When I got a PS3 over a year ago, I got WWE 2k15 cuz I wanted to see Sting in the game. Over the next couple of months I ended up paying more for the extra features than I did for the game itself when I first purchased it. I dont like that at all.
And games are kinda treated like sports titles now, with yearly releases.

I liked the days when a game was just a game. You bought a console to play a game, and when you bought the game, it was ready to play, nothing had to be added. And you either bought it to play alone or together with friends in your bedroom. I dont hate online gaming really, just that it has become such a huge focus with games. Back then, you could just play PC games for online play, but still had your console games too : p

I can relate to someone who talks about the time gaming was simpler, definitely. But for those who are just grumpy their favorite console growing up was replaced by newer ones, like those who hate N64/Playstation cuz 3d graphics, arent really people I relate to : p

EDIT: As for graphics, I had already made my point a few posts above about how I dont think they matter in todays world : p

Also, bringing up wrestling games, you can really see the difference with wrestling games in the 90s/early 2000s and the wrestling games today. Like in the 90s, we had a variety of wrestling games. AKI was the big company, but a few other companies made them too. And they were different. Like heres some of WCWs games-

Their AKI games

hqdefault.jpg

(World Tour)

hqdefault.jpg

(Revenge)

And their non-AKI games

videogame6.jpg

(Nitro)

WCW%20Mayhem-2.jpg

(Mayhem)

And then here were WWFs games at the time-

Their Acclaim games

hqdefault.jpg

(Warzone)

Wwf_attitude_screenshot.jpg

(Attitude)

And their AKI games

images

(Wrestlemania 2000)

hqdefault.jpg

(No Mercy)

Aside from the AKI games playing the same (And Wrestlemania 2000 pretty much being Revenge for WWF) each game was different, had different features, and played differently. The Gamecube/PS2,Xbox era was the same btw, the Gamecube had the Day of Reckoning series of wrestling games, the PS2 had the Smackdown, then later Smackdown vs Raw series, and Xbox had the Raw games.

If you look at every wrestling game from the PS3/360 era to now, youd see they are literally the same game over and over. They look the same, play the same, and the only differences are on a few different faces in the roster, and different matches in history that you can replay cuz apparently they no longer do original storylines for wrestling games : p
And there is nearly no differences to which console you play them on, haha.
I kinda feel that this is how gaming has lost something in todays market.

I hate it when people say graphics don't matter at all. The gameplay is definitely the most important part and graphics don't matter that much, but when they look horrible, it does detract from the game.

0b125c53ff704eaaade46c6ed7250fc2.jpg

This level could be designed so well, but the colors would make it hard to enjoy. Just a bad example lol.

At the same time, there's games that look amazing, but aren't fun to play at all.

"The only thing Pac-Man did that was even relevant at all was the original arcade game like 40 years ago, NOTHING else was even remotely good." <-Something I can call complete BS on for SEVERAL reasons.

I hate it when people say graphics don't matter at all. The gameplay is definitely the most important part and graphics don't matter that much, but when they look horrible, it does detract from the game.

0b125c53ff704eaaade46c6ed7250fc2.jpg

This level could be designed so well, but the colors would make it hard to enjoy. Just a bad example lol.

At the same time, there's games that look amazing, but aren't fun to play at all.
As much as I hate graphic whores I do agree a game should look pleasing to the eyes and look like they had effort put into them. And yeah, I agree with you 100% on the last statement.

A good instance of a game looking great and playing terribly?

kek

I'm sorry, but Sonic 06 looks horrible even compared to games that came around that time.
(Hell Previous Sonic Games on the SD Consoles look better.) If you want a good looking Sonic game on the HD Consoles, Play Unleashed or Generations, Those look good.

The "Roger Rabbit" escue contrast between the humans and the main characters seems weird but I don't think that is nessisarily bad, just somewhat weird. ((Though I do honestly prefer the citizens looking more cartoony akin to how they do in Unleashed))

The environments still look pretty good to me for some reason, especially for the time considering it was a pretty big leap from what we were seeing on the GameCube beforehand. The problem? It was a game that wasn't finished and is even made entirely of LUA scripting for that matter. I'm not kidding, The whole game's coding is literally just LUA files.

Last edited:
I think theres a difference of the changing of technology and video games when it comes to just the aesthetic part of video games, and how games are actually played. I often complain about todays gaming world, but its not because theyre too "advanced", or whatever. I kinda feel like the new focus on video games has taken away from gaming in general. Pretty much all video games are released on both major consoles, making the choice between the two pretty much unnecessary other than whos controller you like better. And many games are made with online playability being a big part of the focus, or the major focus in general. And I also hate having to continually buy things for ONE game that I had bought just weeks ago. When I got a PS3 over a year ago, I got WWE 2k15 cuz I wanted to see Sting in the game. Over the next couple of months I ended up paying more for the extra features than I did for the game itself when I first purchased it. I dont like that at all.
And games are kinda treated like sports titles now, with yearly releases.

I liked the days when a game was just a game. You bought a console to play a game, and when you bought the game, it was ready to play, nothing had to be added. And you either bought it to play alone or together with friends in your bedroom. I dont hate online gaming really, just that it has become such a huge focus with games. Back then, you could just play PC games for online play, but still had your console games too : p

I can relate to someone who talks about the time gaming was simpler, definitely. But for those who are just grumpy their favorite console growing up was replaced by newer ones, like those who hate N64/Playstation cuz 3d graphics, arent really people I relate to : p

EDIT: As for graphics, I had already made my point a few posts above about how I dont think they matter in todays world : p

They call it "DLC", but I call it "picking a player's pocket". We're past the days when most games spoiled the player with exciting hidden extras. They'd sooner have you pay for a secret area or game mode now, rather than thrill you with the discovery of it. I think it's tacky, and reduces the dignity and respectability of a product.
It's like writing a novel, creating cliffhangers, and charging the readers for missing chapters to get the whole story. I swore I'd never do it to my future audience.

There are exceptions, of course. Sometimes opportunities will only come along after a game is released, and DLC is a far better option than the old practice of releasing multiple "SPECIAL" versions of the same blasted game. Echh... Fighting games were notorious for that in the 90's.

Last edited:
It bugs me when people say they like video games but what they really mean is that they play CoD and the the newest 2Kwhatever. It's not that I think people shouldn't play those games but it's disappointing.

I find people who say they're fan of/only care for something as vague and broad as "Japanese games" creepy and stupid (westaboos too, though they're far less common) and I instinctively avoid engaging with them.

Back