In regards to Ashley...

KingDragonWario

Virtual Boy Apologist
Before I start, I'll just say that I have nothing against Ashley's character. I think she's a terrific edition to the diverse cast of the WarioWare sub-series and I'm glad she helps in making it more popular.

HOWEVER...

I find her kinda overrated. For example, if any of you have Pixiv, try searching the "Wario" tag on there (ワリオ) and take a look at the results. You'll probably notice that most are of Ashley, and not just plain old Ashley pictures either, but lewd ones. There isn't as much on DeviantArt but are still in abundance. I'd even go so far as to say there's more art of Ashley than every WarioWare character combined.

The reason for this? Simple. She's a goth loli, the Internet loves that kind of stuff, and perverse artists love exploiting aesthetics. My problem is how she's pushing more deserving characters like 9-Volt, Jimmy T., and Mona out of the spotlight. Aside from Wario himself, I think of those aforementioned 3 as the faces of WarioWare. While we're on the topic of characters who were shafted, whatever happened to Orbulon? He's done next to nothing since Touched, and I recall in 2003 or 2004 there was a poll in Nintendo Power about who was the most popular WW character. Surprisingly Orbulon got second place (the Big W getting 1st). If we did this kinda poll now, it's highly unlikely everyone's favorite bowling pin-headed alien would achieve second place again.

In short, I guess you could sum this all up by saying I'm sick of lolis stealing the show.

I would at least mention that 'most art' doesn't necessarily mean 'most popular'.

For example, in the Mario RPG world, the villains tend to get the most fan art. But while this correlates well with the popularity of some (Fawful and Dimentio are stupid popular among damn near every Mario fan), a bunch of other popular or fairly popular characters (think maybe Kylie Koopa or the Massif Bros or whoever) tend to be less popular in fan art, yet more popular among the people outside of DeviantArt or the likes.

To some degree, it's almost as much to do with the popularity of a character's design as it is their popularity as a character.

My problem is how she's pushing more deserving characters like 9-Volt, Jimmy T., and Mona out of the spotlight. Aside from Wario himself, I think of those aforementioned 3 as the faces of WarioWare.
This.

Holy shit, this a million times over.

I don't hate Ashley myself. I just don't get what the hell people see in her. It really has caused everyone to forget all about the other characters.

Before I start, I'll just say that I have nothing against Ashley's character. I think she's a terrific edition to the diverse cast of the WarioWare sub-series and I'm glad she helps in making it more popular.

HOWEVER...

I find her kinda overrated. For example, if any of you have Pixiv, try searching the "Wario" tag on there (ワリオ) and take a look at the results. You'll probably notice that most are of Ashley, and not just plain old Ashley pictures either, but lewd ones. There isn't as much on DeviantArt but are still in abundance. I'd even go so far as to say there's more art of Ashley than every WarioWare character combined.

The reason for this? Simple. She's a goth loli, the Internet loves that kind of stuff, and perverse artists love exploiting aesthetics. My problem is how she's pushing more deserving characters like 9-Volt, Jimmy T., and Mona out of the spotlight. Aside from Wario himself, I think of those aforementioned 3 as the faces of WarioWare. While we're on the topic of characters who were shafted, whatever happened to Orbulon? He's done next to nothing since Touched, and I recall in 2003 or 2004 there was a poll in Nintendo Power about who was the most popular WW character. Surprisingly Orbulon got second place (the Big W getting 1st). If we did this kinda poll now, it's highly unlikely everyone's favorite bowling pin-headed alien would achieve second place again.

In short, I guess you could sum this all up by saying I'm sick of lolis stealing the show.

She's like the Rosalina from Warioware.

Not really, unlike Rosalina Ashley isn't put on a pedastel by the series itself, yeah she is popular, but she isn't treated any better than the rest of the cast in the actual Wario Ware games.

Compare that to Rosalina where you really have to wonder how she hasn't replaced Mario as the main character yet (I will abandon the franchise for all eternity if that ever happens) considering how much of an obvious hard on Nintendo has for her nowadays.

Not really, unlike Rosalina Ashley isn't put on a pedastel by the series itself, yeah she is popular, but she isn't treated any better than the rest of the cast in the actual Wario Ware games.

Compare that to Rosalina where you really have to wonder how she hasn't replaced Mario as the main character yet (I will abandon the franchise for all eternity if that ever happens) considering how much of an obvious hard on Nintendo has for her nowadays.

And that's a very good point to make in general. While Ashley has both fans and haters, she's not a creator's pet because Nintendo and Intelligent Systems don't treat her like anything more than a normal character. Rosalina on the other hand, is becoming someone that is clearly more liked by the developers than anyone else and virtually put on a pedestal as a result. Again, she's not a bad character, but you can see why people will be more annoyed by her than by Ashley or other fan favourites.

If anything, 9-Volt has been getting treated a bit better in these games.

But other than that, warelander is right. Only if the games themselves are going out of their way to tell the player, "Ashley Ashley Ashley! Check her out! Screw all the other characters!", then it's a problem. But there isn't that in any of them, so yeah. It's all good.

Japanese people tend to be crazy about tall blondes or petite black-haired characters
Guess which those two phenotypes resemble the most *wink*

Back