Name paradoxes

If I build a ship, but over years of use I replace everything about the ship with completely new parts, is it still the same ship?

And if I take all the parts of the old ship and rebuild it, is that a new or old ship?

If I build a ship, but over years of use I replace everything about the ship with completely new parts, is it still the same ship?

And if I take all the parts of the old ship and rebuild it, is that a new or old ship?

Just like the Locke's Sock paradox! Your favorite pair of socks has a hole, so you patch it up, then gets another hole and you keep patching it up, until you end up with a sock that is made of patches. Is it the same sock you started with?

That reminds me of this saying: "Here is your grandfather's knife. I've changed the blade and replaced the handle."

Back