Pikmin

BooDestroyer

Treasure Collector Extraordinaire
This thread is for general discussion of the series.

Who here is legitimately interested in this series? Anyone got any of its three games? If you have a Wii U, you probably have Pikmin 3. It's a little sad that it is kind of a niche, underrated series. Despite all the goodwill surrounding it, it never seems to take off that well. I wonder if the Short Movies raised any interest in it?

Whenever Pikmin 4 is coming, and whatever system it's on, let's hope it does deliver. I do hope to see more of Alph and his crew.

Last edited:
I have all three, though admittedly I haven't played too far into any of them but Pikmin 3. It's a fantastic series based around allocating one's resources properly while keeping track of what's in the area so that your Pikmin don't get into too much danger. I also bought the short movies, which were really charming. I'm really looking forward to Pikmin 4, whatever it may entail.

I never played the first one, but played the hell out of 2's multiplayer with my sister. Pikmin 3's Bingo Battle is also incredibly fun and well designed.

...Aside from the multiplayer part of things, Pikmin is just so wonderful. I love its premise. Being lost on a planet, all alone...It makes you feel so vulnerable and helpless. And its such a bittersweet feeling to sacrifice Pikmin to save your own skin. Pikmin is one of those games that really makes you feel things. One of my favorites of Miyamoto's works.

Pikmin has always been one of the first games I've owned for the GC, it's quite a challenging game. Did like how different it was compared to other Nintendo series, mostly by just trying to gather your pikmin to find your ships parts in the first game anyways. Always liked how some stages returned in Pikmin 2 such as perplexing pool probably my favourite stage in these two games. I think Pikmin 2 sets off how Pikmin should be played having a more balanced difficulty as well as you're not confined to a 30 day limit unlike the first game before it's game over.Did complete the first two games did not finish Pikmin 3 yet, however I do like all the other captains such as Louie, and Brittany.

The first time I heard of Pikmin was via a promo VHS that showcased a couple of early GC titles, it was the last game to be shown and it quickly caught my attention. When I finally got to play it I quickly fell in love with it, to this day it's the only strategy game I really enjoy, thanks to the wonderful locations, great music, tons of charm and a battle system that I dig, along with the resource and time managment kepping me on my toes and keeping things steady.

I eagerly antcipated the second game and ended up liking it even more, I can see why not everyone would, due to the inclusion and heavy focus on dungeon crawling, but I liked it, especially the large amount of bosses, easily my favorite selection of bosses in the trilogy and having two captains instead of just one was also a welcomed addition. It also helps that I got a friend into the series with this game, we would play the multiplayer a lot, exchange strategys for battles and try to reach 100% together, it was a great time.

I played a bit of the Wii version of the first game, due to said friend owning it and while I'm used to the controls now thanks to Pikmin 3 it felt alien to me back then, I was just too used to the GC controls.

Got Pikmin 3 day one, beat it and liked it, althought I really need to play it again sometime, it came out during a pretty hectic time for me, so I wasn't able to give it as much attention and thought as I would have liked.

Overall I would definentally classify Pikmin as one of my favorites out of Big N's large line of IPs, it's always been fun, responsible for many great memorys and will continue to see my support for any future installments.

Pikmin is my favourite thing (beside ww and rhythm heaven obv) Nintendo has done in the past 15 years. Me and my sister got a Wii U just for Pikmin 3.

Pikmin 3 is the single best utilisation of the Wii U gamepad. It's not even close.

What'd it do, exactly? I think it did have this "Go Here" feature that you can use to multitask, which is especially handy when you have to go for platinum in Challenge Mode. It was one of the better uses of the GamePad, but I wouldn't call it that groundbreaking.

It's funny though. Even though this is a closely Miyamoto-helmed series, it still doesn't get enough of the respect and recognition that it deserves. When Pikmin 3 released, I don't recall that much hype around it. How excited do you think anyone will be when Pikmin 4 comes around?

For some reason, Pikmin 3 never got an Iwata Asks. So much for Miyamoto's passion project.

What'd it do, exactly? I think it did have this "Go Here" feature that you can use to multitask, which is especially handy when you have to go for platinum in Challenge Mode. It was one of the better uses of the GamePad, but I wouldn't call it that groundbreaking.

You could zoom to any part of the maps and draw paths for each individual captains. it wasn't "creative", but it single-handely eliminates the most boring part of Pikmin (getting your dude to a point even though you could be doing things with the other captain) and allowed for far more optimized runs. It's the best exemple of the Gamepad enhancing the game in a meaningful way that couldn't be done elegantly otherwise..

For some reason, Pikmin 3 never got an Iwata Asks. So much for Miyamoto's passion project.

iirc, the explanation I heard for that is that they released a bunch of Japanese behind-the-scenes video that did essentially the same thing.

I love the series.
I recently played Pikmin 3 again.
...and it's a great game, but...
Every time...
Every. Single. Time...
I encounter this stupid, STUPID, ANNOYING GLITCH...
pikmin_3_s_most_annoying_glitch_by_shyguyxxl-dbwlo7l.gif

And it doesn't just happen once or twice in one playthrough, it happens almost every time I try to get the max amount of pikmin on an object.
It's the worst.

This is Nintendo we're talking about.

Also, we better see more of Alph and his crew in 4. The ending of 3 must have alluded to something more with them.

The ending of 3 must have alluded to something more with them.

Not necessarily. It alluded to something being fishy on PNF 404. And Louie being gone again. (But no one seems to care. Rightfully so.)
THEIR story is concluded. They saved the planet.
The whole "What really made the Drake crash?" thing is most likely suggesting that the plasm wraith did it.
Then there's another thing falling from the sky at the end of the credits, which COULD be foreshadowing, though that could literally be anything.

I just hope they don't rehash the debt story again. It's bad enough they reused it for Olimar's subplot in Pikmin 3 again. (Like it's not enough that Olimar wants to get his Dolphin back... which he never actually did, did he?)
I wouldn't mind seeing all new characters again. Or, if it has to be Olimar & Co or Alph & Co, at least give them a unique reason to be on the planet.

We don't know what's going to happen next. Yet.

But it would be foolish to remove Alph and co from the story entirely next time. How do I know you're not just saying that because you don't like how they "replaced" Olimar, the "real hero" of the story? At the very least, we may see that unused "D" person on Koppai this time.

The story still isn't that important to this series either. The Pikmin are still the real star of this series as it is. (Why do you see them in Nintendo marketing imagery instead of the others?)

How do I know you're not just saying that because you don't like how they "replaced" Olimar, the "real hero" of the story?
That's the opposite of what I'm saying. xD
I didn't even think Olimar should've appeared in the game. xD
He felt almost entirely shoehorned in. He and Louie are basically just plot McGuffins. It would've been fine if it had just been about the 3 explorers.
Oh well, it's not like they take away from the game.
I LIKE the 3 new captains BECAUSE they told a new story and Nintendo didn't just use Olimar and Louie again.
But for that same reason I don't want the 3 new characters to turn into the standard characters now.
I wouldn't mind if we get entirely different characters in every new game.

Does anyone else feel really bad for the hocotate freight ship?

latest

You might say it's just a machine... but it had a personality! And now it's basically dead! And just left behind to rust and rot...

Poor thing...

Back